U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM

44 posts, read 92,809 times

Advertisements

We are down to the wire with our move and finding a rental. We've been looking like crazy for a month now. Had an app in on a great house, but had 1 person ahead of us in line and they got it.

We looked at a property in Kings Grant and I'm wondering about the neighborhood. It's not my first pick. I think I'd prefer Briarwood or some of the other subdivisions off of Old Trolley, although this is going off of a couple of days driving around town. (We like trees and non-cookie-cutter construction and decent sized lots.)

So, if anyone has some insight into the Kings Grant area, I'd love it. We're looking for somewhere to land and rent for 2-3 years, so I want to make sure it's a good neighborhood that we won't want to run screaming from... :-)

We're thinking about doing a short term rental at an apartment (4-5 months) to give us time to look more, but I hate wasting money and they all want at least a $300 non-refundable pet deposit, plus all of their other fees, and I can't see throwing that money down the drain just to move again in a few months.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,090,832 times
Kings Grant is a nice older neighborhood, lots of traffic on Dorchester Rd. Where will you be commuting to?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM

44 posts, read 92,809 times
My husband's office is not far off of Dorchester in No. Charleston, but he isn't a 9-5er. He is in outside sales and will be in the office a few times a week, not necessarily during commute time, and otherwise will be covering the eastern part of SC, from Columbia over.

We homeschool, so we don't need to leave the house during prime hours either, we can be flexible to avoid traffic.

We have a 9 year old son and are hoping to begin foster care/foster adopt process in about year, so we'd like a kid friendly neighborhood.

We really just want a safe neighborhood that is overall well cared for and close to conveniences.

Thanks, OleTomCat, I figured you'd be one of the ones to reply - you're always so helpful.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,127,465 times
I had looked into moving in that neighborhood it is kind of nice. I didn't like the abandoned golf clubhouse thing though.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,780,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I had looked into moving in that neighborhood it is kind of nice. I didn't like the abandoned golf clubhouse thing though.
It's not abandoned.

The builder had to put a hold on the project ... like the rest of us .. the economy turning put a hold on the new phase in there just like in lots of places.

Most of the infrastructure is in for the new phase already but .. as I said .. it just hasn't picked back up yet.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 AM

524 posts, read 1,332,988 times
Kings Grant has been slowly declining in value since the mid-1990's. It is a very safe, nice area and I would have no reservations about recommending a person rent a house in that area. It is very convenient to the entire area.

If you were in the market to purchase a house, I perhaps would suggest a different direction.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,794,541 times
We were soooo close to putting in an offer on a house in Kings Grant. The house sat on the canal and had a huge fenced lot (I dont' think that is typical of all the homes in that subdivision, though). From my understanding the pool was condemned but EVENTUALLY would get fixed. I don't know the status of that but it was a deal breaker for us. We had even looked into the HOA policy of building a pool (like most HOAs they had a no above ground pool rule). This was about a year ago now so I don't know the status.

Last edited by Sprouts; 04-19-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,734,134 times
I would say it is a great rental location and very safe.

I would not buy there due to the abondanded golf club, homeowners squabbling, it is getting old and shabby. Much in need of a facility overhaul.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,127,465 times
I will say it really is a nice neighborhood other then that. I loved it, only other complaints I had was no sidewalks but that is typical of an older neighborhood, and I would trade the trees and lots for that any day. Also there isn;t any through traffic, the streets never seemed crowded.

The neighorhood, to me is alot like Asborough, another one we looked very hard at, but pricing was more then we wanted to spend until we get a few student loans cleaned up.

If I remember in Kings grant there was an AMAZING like 5 bedroom, 2500-3000 sq ft, house, amaing yard, on the water house that I think was selling for $250k. The house was a steal. I don't care what real estate prices are, house should have easily been $350k+ just for the structure.

It had a similar stone or brick exterior to this house that I think was down the street from it.

Summerville, SC, Resale - 516 Fairington Dr, Carolina One Real Estate

another cool house, you get alot for the money.

Summerville, SC, Resale - 118 Dunbury Dr, Carolina One Real Estate

Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM

870 posts, read 1,712,050 times
When I was born, my grandmother lived in Kings Grant as did my uncle and aunt.

When I was 4 or 5, my parents bought a house in Kings Grant which was sold later.

When I was 7 and we moved back from Miami, my mothers aunt was renting a house in Kings grant.

A few years ago (2005) Mom and I rented a house in Kings Grant for a year.

I would not buy a home in Kings Grant as a primary dwelling for me for a number of reasons.

1. Even the "newer" section of the subdivision is 30 years old or more at this point. The older homes may or may not last the life of the loan and the declining value of the neighborhood will make it difficult to sell a home later and make money off of it.

2. As previously stated, the amenities of the neighborhood are lacking. There are several parks but the clubhouse has been under construction for a long time and, unless something has changed, the neighborhood pool is also not in usable condition.

Renting is a completely different story. My family has rented there and I absolutely would again.

1. The location is great. Especially if you work Downtown or anywhere in North Charleston.

2. Despite the slow creep of North Charleston into the area (I don't mean through annexation) we never felt unsafe there. Not long after we moved into the rental in 2005, I left to run an errand and without thinking left the front door wide open, nothing was missing when I returned.

3. Price. We were able to rent (in 2005) 1750 sf for around $900 per month. We went through a rental agency (R & B Properties in Summerville) but the owner lived across the street and would let us do whatever we wanted and was very helpful. A slightly smaller (1500 sf) rental in Wescott was going for $1150 a month at the same time.

For an investment home, I would absolutely buy in Kings Grant. The lower values would mean that I could rent it under market and still make money on the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area