Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,251,830 times

Advertisements

My dh was considering a couple of job transfer opportunities in the Southeast, both in the Charleston area and the Atlanta area. Everyone we talked to here in the Upper Midwest told us to watch out for the pollen season there if we thought we suffered from allergy symptoms here, and I saw enough threads on this topic on various internet forums to start to believe that pollen season in the Southeast is no small matter. We haven't accepted a transfer yet and probably won't (it's absolutely gorgeous up here right now, and I think we actually appreciate it so much more because of our cold winters, and our families are both here) but when we were in coastal SC a couple of weeks ago, my dh was absolutely miserable with coughing, sneezing, congestion, and itchy eyes. Zyrtec and Afrin nasal spray made it marginally bearable, but it almost completely cleared up once we got home, and he is now happily medication free.

SC, and the Southeast in general, is wonderful, which is why we have a vacation condo there, but everywhere has its negatives, as a PP pointed out. I think allergies are a big one for that region. It was so surreal having a layer of green dust (pollen) on our car the entire week we were there!

Last edited by canudigit; 04-23-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM

370 posts, read 943,405 times
It seems as though I can't get through a day without having a stuffed up nose here! It's just awful for me, more so here than in New England or even the Greenville area. Not sure what type of allergy I might have, but no meds outside of nosedrops really have helped thus far.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,277,060 times
Thought I'd bump this thread up due to the severe allergy problems my family is having here. We movd here from RI about three and a half years ago and the first year we had no problems. Over the last two years the allergy symptoms have gotten very bad. My husband is 69 and has never had allergies his entire life but now he has allergies so severe he has actually got skin rashes from them. We have all had multiple sinus infections and now I have Eustachian Tube dysfunction from all the allergy symptoms. We have all been taking antihistamines now for over a year but nothing seems to help. I love Charleston but I hate to think we would have to leave this area because of the severe allergy problems. I am so bummed out because this doesn't appear to be just seasonal..it's all year long.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,255,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Thought I'd bump this thread up due to the severe allergy problems my family is having here. We movd here from RI about three and a half years ago and the first year we had no problems. Over the last two years the allergy symptoms have gotten very bad. My husband is 69 and has never had allergies his entire life but now he has allergies so severe he has actually got skin rashes from them. We have all had multiple sinus infections and now I have Eustachian Tube dysfunction from all the allergy symptoms. We have all been taking antihistamines now for over a year but nothing seems to help. I love Charleston but I hate to think we would have to leave this area because of the severe allergy problems. I am so bummed out because this doesn't appear to be just seasonal..it's all year long.
Get allergy shots. They build up your immune system to the things you're allergic to and eventually you'll no longer be allergic to them!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,277,060 times
I mentioned that to my husband but he will not at this point in his life start taking allergy shots. I have done the allergy shots in RI for several years but they only helped me for some of my allergies and not for all of them. Also the expense and time you must devote to going 2 or 3 times a week is just not doable for me working full time.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,616,741 times
My allergies were worse in the Midwest then they were in the Boson area. My allergies in SC (Columbia for the last 2 years and the prior 10 years in Charleston) are a bit worse then they were in Boston but not near as bad as they were in the Midwest. By bad I mean sneezing, sniffles, watery eyes. Worst time for me here is in the Spring and right now for the next month or so. They are nothing that cannot be handled with over the counter allergy medicine and sniffling.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,961,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My allergies were worse in the Midwest then they were in the Boson area. My allergies in SC (Columbia for the last 2 years and the prior 10 years in Charleston) are a bit worse then they were in Boston but not near as bad as they were in the Midwest. By bad I mean sneezing, sniffles, watery eyes. Worst time for me here is in the Spring and right now for the next month or so. They are nothing that cannot be handled with over the counter allergy medicine and sniffling.
that's opposite for myself, 45 years in Wi and never had much for allergies (besides what i thought were common colds and sinus infections in winter only), and especially with so many neighborhoods built in farmland with little for tree cover. I move to SC in 09, and got to discover that wonderful yellow pollen in spring, and thru fall constant issues w/ eyes, etc (though no colds in winter).

I just blame it on the beautiful weather here with no hard frost, being surrounded by mile-high pines, and just getting old

Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
I think our bodies change....and coincidentally we may have changed environments. I know people who have developed allergies after living in the same place for years........sometimes severe allergies.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM

234 posts, read 381,074 times
When I saw pollen caked on railings,decks, and window sills during my initial visits, I figured the allergy season would be pretty rough. Good thing I tend to keep a healthy stock of Claritin and the like in the house already. Charleston will be no different.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM

769 posts, read 973,700 times
I have horrible allergies and have done ok here. Now granted spring may or may not kick my butt. I think the humidity has helped my ashthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area