U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM

19 posts, read 17,433 times

Advertisements

...my family and I are having some trouble.

First off, good morning, Charlestonians! My husband and I have moved here recently to be close to his son who moved here with his momma. We are very excited to be here. I have wanted to live in Charleston for many years, it's a beautiful place where I can't wait to live (hopefully) the rest of my life.

I am 7 months pregnant and my husband was able to transfer here through the company he works for. However, his hours were cut to part time and since I am pregnant it's almost impossible to find work right now (I am also on bed rest, so I shouldn't be working right now anyway.) As you can imagine this has been a tough situation when finding permanent residence. We are good people with a fantastic rental history and so-so credit. We also have the great fortune of having generous family (my in-laws) who are willing to be co-signers for anything we find to rent.

This is our trouble... We have found some wonderful places but the management companies seem to want our co-signers to be local, and they are not. (They live in OH.) We can't qualify on our own without a co-signer so... I was hoping maybe someone on here might have some advice or knowledge of people/companies that would accept an out-of-state co-signer. We have the money up front to pay for things, we just don't qualify on paper. Sorry this is long, I just wanted to get everything out there.

Right now we are living in a weekly and being pregnant this is something that stresses me out. We love this town, we hope to be settled soon. Thank you in advance for any advice you have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,676,719 times
Look for a thread on no credit check apartments, It may be a page or two back in the list, may be able to find some info in there..

Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Thank you so much! Taking a look at it now. Hadn't even noticed it!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,676,719 times
It was three pages back, don't know if you found it yet or not but here is the link:

Looking for No Credit Check Apartments in Safe Area

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM

613 posts, read 663,454 times
Also, for people in your credit situation, I recommend you look for ads in the newspaper and Craigslist.com online. Many times these are private homeowners advertising their rentals. Good luck and welcome!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,014,742 times
Try finding a private landlord who might be more willing to work with you based on your situation. Chances are, you can get a house for approximately the same as a nice apartment around here.

You may also want to consider HUD subsidized properties. I know it isn't ideal but it could get you out of the weekly thing and into something more permanent and affordable for you until you start working after the baby comes.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! I just love how helpful and friendly people are in this town! We signed a lease agreement today. We were actually able to go through a realty/property management group and will be living in Wescott Plantation, an area I have just completely fallen in love with. We had the huge blessing of having enough money to pay a whole year's rent up front so our credit situation/ job situation was not a huge deal. We are grateful for that and know we are lucky.

Now time to get ready for baby! Do any of you live in Wescott? Do you like it? I think it's so pretty with so many places to walk. The information on this forum has been invaluable.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM

870 posts, read 1,014,742 times
I used to live over there. My mother still does.

We both liked it. She liked it so much she bought a house there.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
Do not leave long Island for South Carolina.It is the biggest mistake you can make.Life Down in charleston for NewYorkers is Bad.They really do not want us here.You will come down and life will seem good in the beginning then you really get to know the people down here and they are mostly nasty and fake.Just my perspective of coarse but you will say same thing after a few months here.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM

313 posts, read 354,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyunhappy View Post
Do not leave long Island for South Carolina.It is the biggest mistake you can make.Life Down in charleston for NewYorkers is Bad.They really do not want us here.You will come down and life will seem good in the beginning then you really get to know the people down here and they are mostly nasty and fake.Just my perspective of coarse but you will say same thing after a few months here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area