Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,994 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Woodfield Sout point apartments? I know there were concerns a couple of years ago about mold. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was still an issue. How does it compare to the Abberly at West Ashley? I'm moving in a couple of months and I have narrowed it down to the two of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Not a clue, but once mold is a problem it is hard to get rid of...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM

350 posts, read 740,633 times
Wow its hard to find that kind of stuff out when you look at a complex's website, Woodfield South Point had great reviews on Google Maps but apparently not on apartment ratings. I was shocked to see 3 or 4 years ago that an apartment was $1200/month (hopefully not a 1BR) Charleston sounds very expensive, hopefully people are well paid down there!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Wow its hard to find that kind of stuff out when you look at a complex's website, Woodfield South Point had great reviews on Google Maps but apparently not on apartment ratings. I was shocked to see 3 or 4 years ago that an apartment was $1200/month (hopefully not a 1BR) Charleston sounds very expensive, hopefully people are well paid down there!
It depends what type of work you do and where you are coming from. For me..in the medical field I took a $10 hr cut in pay. Apartments are not cheap here either.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
It depends what type of work you do and where you are coming from. For me..in the medical field I took a $10 hr cut in pay. Apartments are not cheap here either.
Unless you are making a lot of money or have a lot of equity to cash out into a new house Charleston doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. It may have beaches, nice weather, be a beautiful area to live in, but it sounds like you really pay for it in wages and cost of living!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,256 times
Not really. Our cost of living went down and our salary went up when we moved here.......

Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Not really. Our cost of living went down and our salary went up when we moved here.......
I thought SC paid notoriously low wages that is if you can even manage to find a job. I would have to be paid many times more to beat the cost of living in the Midwest! In our cities a 1 bedroom is more like 500-600/month not 1200!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I thought SC paid notoriously low wages that is if you can even manage to find a job. I would have to be paid many times more to beat the cost of living in the Midwest! In our cities a 1 bedroom is more like 500-600/month not 1200!
yeah and then you have to deal with the hurricanes, earthquakes and bugs. blech!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM

469 posts, read 891,210 times
I saw both of these complexes and to me, they don't compare. They were both very nice, but Woodfield at South Point was more like your typical complex - albeit very nice. My son really liked them a lot, but couldn't justify the price (he's moving at the end of May). Abberly was much more urban looking - and to me, that wasn't necessarily a good thing. There was a lot of asphalt, the buildings were a bit more high rise, but the thing I wasn't a fan of was that they were right next to a shopping center - Costco was in the back yard literally. And the interstate was within sight of them as well. The complex itself was very nice, but definitely not my cup of tea - my son wasn't a big fan either. When it was all said and done, he would have chosen Woodfield at Southpoint as his number one place, but like I said, he couldn't justify the price.

A few other nice places to look - Bolton's Landing (not far from Woodfield), Heron Reserve, or Sabal Palms. Of the 3 I mentioned including the 2 you mentioned, Sabal Palms was probably the lowest end in regards to amenities and I wasn't as fond of the kitchen cabinets (white trimmed in beech), but Sabal Palms was the one my son chose.

Here's a thread I did when my son and I returned from apartment hunting..West Ashley Apartments - impressions of a mom and son. I also did one for Mt Pleasant as well.

For what it's worth, I take a lot of those apartment ratings sites with a grain of salt. I read them, but usually they are written by someone who is disgruntled about something and many times it seems silly to me. But when patterns emerge in some of the ratings, I do tend to pay attention.

And you can find 1 bedroom - even 2 bedroom places in the 700ish range pretty easily. They might be a little older though, but they were fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area