Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, but tourism is bigger for some cities than others and Atlanta is one of those cities. And Atlanta isn't coastal, so of course you wouldn't think of it in that way. I've already said in this thread that there's more than one way to be a destination city. If the only thing I could do to get away is go to the beach, I'd get bored pretty quickly.
Lol. That's true. I rarely go to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
LOL Exactly what I was thinking.
Oh you're so right; and where are Greenville and Columbia? Quick to call down are you? I think if it wasn't for good ole Charleston, South Carolina would be lost. As if it wasn't 49th already.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I think if it wasn't for good ole Charleston, South Carolina would be lost.
How so? In terms of travel destinations, Myrtle Beach is the most popular in SC.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM

12,914 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Not a day goes by that I don't see busloads of people visiting the State House, the State Museum or some other venue in Columbia, usually all of the above and then some. I enjoy seeing them, but that's plenty of tourists for me.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Not a day goes by that I don't see busloads of people visiting the State House, the State Museum or some other venue in Columbia, usually all of the above and then some. I enjoy seeing them, but that's plenty of tourists for me.
Wow, the state house, ole boy, the museum (which most of the stuff in there comes from Charleston and the low country) Don't forget the zoo (monkeys and all) and the nut house. And for Mytrle beach having more visitors, great; doesn't make it a great place to live though. Rather tacky if you ask me. That's why those cities don't get ratings at all. Have to add 'everything' up.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Quote:
And for Mytrle beach having more visitors, great; doesn't make it a great place to live though.
I agree with this statement. That is precisely the point some people have expressed here in regard to Charleston. It is a popular Old South tourist destination, but that fact does not automatically qualify it as a "great place to live." It may be great to some people, but not everyone. If you replace the ocean with mountains, then you basically have Asheville, which I am much more likely to visit this time of year despite my dislike of places over-crowded with tourists and tourist traps. I prefer quiet Edisto Island, SC, for a Lowcountry getaway and beautiful Highlands, NC, for a mountain getaway.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 AM

I agree; we travel to the mountains in the summer to camp. We love the mountains and the sea, but I hate to say it, but if we could cut the middle of the state out and move the mountains and sea together we'd have a great looking state. Just get rid of that "Arm Pit". LOL

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I agree; we travel to the mountains in the summer to camp. We love the mountains and the sea, but I hate to say it, but if we could cut the middle of the state out and move the mountains and sea together we'd have a great looking state. Just get rid of that "Arm Pit". LOL
The Midlands makes the state great as well; you're just ignorant as to its importance.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Oh that's right we "NEED" the politics!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Oh that's right we "NEED" the politics!
Has absolutely nothing to do with state government. Plus I said the Midlands, not Columbia specifically.

But on a practical level, yes we do need state government to function. You prefer anarchy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area