Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

484 posts, read 992,703 times

Advertisements

Ok so I call up the real estate office that the house is listed with. The pictures on the listing itself are useless, closeup of a kitchen cabinet, small corner of yard, etc. The house had lots of updates like roof, siding, kitchen. I get one of the Realtors on the line (not the actual listing agent) and ask about the house. Here's kind of how the conversation goes:

RE: That house is sold, a while ago.
ME: Well it's a fairly new listing and it's listed as active.
RE: No it's already sold.
ME: Here is the listing # and it's very recent, I'm pretty sure it's active.
RE: Oh here it is, it is active, (then proceeds to read off the information from the same web page that I've
already looked at several times).
ME: I am looking at the same page.
RE: I think it may be a short sale. (1st thing it says on the listing is short sale).
ME: Yes I know, with a negotiator in place.
RE: I'll see if we can can get better pictures since the house is empty.
ME: It says the house has tenants with a lease due in July 2013.
RE: Maybe that's why he couldn't get better pictures.
ME: The house was empty when the pictures were taken.
RE: I can call the listing agent and have him give you a call.
ME: No that's OK I left him a message yesterday, but he didn't get back to me yet.

Clueless. At that point I just gave up. I made it a point however, to remain very polite and nice during the entire conversation and hide any frustration. Maybe it's just me but it this normal? How do they get anything done?

Just needed to vent, feeling much better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,274,327 times
Barbara, sounds like you need a better agent...

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Im not using them as my agents. I only called because that's who the house is listed with. I thought they could give me more info.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM

870 posts, read 1,672,777 times
Wow. And the sale stops there! Well, maybe and maybe not, but I sure wouldn't be doing business with them.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 AM

859 posts, read 1,353,584 times
Maybe because it's a short sale, the agents don't make a lot of commission, so there's not a lot of motivation?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Do they make less money because they get a lower percentage rate on short sales, or just the lower listing prices in general? I get the impression from the pics that are on the listing that maybe the agent is a little inexperienced or something. We are probably one of the few people who find it ideal to have tenants already in place, but we do plan on living there in a few years so I have to like the house. As long as I can see potential for the house I'm good. I have no problem opening up walls to have an open floor plan down the road as long as there is potential for it. I really just want an idea of the floor plan and some better (not so closeup) pictures. The house is on Liberty Ct. We drove through the entire Snee Farm neighborhood in April but I don't remember that particular street. It looks nice on google earth, similar to the neighborhood that I live in now. Some of the newer neighborhoods seem kind of barren looking to me. I love driving in the main entrance road with all the trees and nice landscape and such.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM

859 posts, read 1,353,584 times
I don't know the answers to your commission questions, Barbara; maybe one of our realtor members can jump in and give you an answer.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,995,116 times
Realtors can potentially make lower commissions on short sales, yes. Short sales generally have a third party reviewing the costs to close the transaction and if there is not enough money in the cache to make the transaction work, lenders can sometimes request/refuse to honor the full amount of commissions negotiated, just as they can any other fees at closing. Not to mention that some agents just do not wish to work with short sales given the tenuous nature of the closing. Short sales can turn into dead deals very quickly, and given how long they take from offer to closing (assuming they get there), or from perceived difficulty/uncertainty with regard to how short sales work, some agents just ignore them completely.

I think what most likely occurred was a duty agent answered the sign call, but had no personal knowledge of the home prior to picking up the phone for his/her office.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,621 times
Barbara-I actually had a deal last week with the listing agent, and he mentioned he was leaving the next day for three weeks to go on vacation to visit his family in Israel. He was very professional. I hope you make contact with him.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM

I finally did speak with him and he was fine, but still the first person in the office saying it was sold when it wasn't, well........ and those crummy pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area