U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 PM

878 posts, read 760,110 times
Default What's Wrong with Mount Pleasant

properties in these subdivisions??

We are tyring to keep an open mind about which area we might like so at this point are not ruling out MP even though we know it is more expensive.

In checking MLS today, I see that there are several properties that keep us within our preferred 250K target price if we settle for an older home and a smaller home.

There are some, however, that aren't that old, so I'm thinking that there must be some reason - are they out in the boonies? Is the subdivision not attractive? Location bad? Outrageous insurance costs?

Can anyone help to let us know which might be the best bet for us? We are looking for a house @ 1,700-2,00 sq ft, .15-.25 acres, preferably a place with sidewalks. We'd really like a place with a few trees in the subdivision.

Here is what we found:

Sweetgrass
Charleston National
Park West
Hamlin Plantation
Planters Pointe
Waters Edge
Lieben Park
Laurel Park Trail
West Point
Carol Oaks
Dunes West
Ivy Hall
Quail Hollow

Any we should cross off? We like a semi-quiet environment that is convenient to major access roads and day-to-day things like grocery, pharmacy and not far from hospital or vet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,716,194 times
While I cannot speak directly to all places you mentioned, there are some large differences in the same neighborhoods. As an example Planters Pointe has homes for $235K to over $500K. Some of Planter Pointe's (over 700 homes) sections are 2 miles apart. Park West is even larger (in area) and price differences maybe more spread out. Park West ranges from rental apartments to large, expensive homes on the water. Ivy Hall is a lovley, 225 homes area so much smaller, thus not the wide price differences

How did some of this happen? Well let me tell you.

Some of the original layouts (Rivertowne, Charleston National, Park West were over 25 square miles in size. No one could/would undertake such a large project so they sold off parts, then some sold of parts of parts, then some sold of parts of parts of parts, etc.

An example. Original Planters Pointe off of Rte 41 ($235K). Indigo Chase (off of Rivertowne Blvd), at Planters Pointe, at Rivertowne ($550K). Both homes are in Planters Pointe and both pay the same HOA dues to Planters Pointe HOA. The Planters Pointe neighborhoods off Rivertowne Parkway (High Marsh, Saltwood, Indigo Chase) are the more expensive homes in Planters Pointe.

I assure you those that live at Indigo Chase, say they live at Rivertowne. Those that live in the original Planters Point can only say they live at Planters Pointe......LOL

Hope this helps.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 05-05-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Very interesting. Had never heard of Ivy Hall before, but the house there looks very cute, albeit small and has some trees at least.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,302,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
There are some, however, that aren't that old, so I'm thinking that there must be some reason - are they out in the boonies? Is the subdivision not attractive? Location bad? Outrageous insurance costs?

Here is what we found:

Sweetgrass
Charleston National
Park West
Hamlin Plantation
Planters Pointe
Waters Edge
Lieben Park
Laurel Park Trail
West Point
Carol Oaks
Dunes West
Ivy Hall
Quail Hollow
As you know, neighborhoods and builders are not always equal. You list contains some premiere developments with high quality custom homes as well as some that are not located in highly desirable areas and/or national builders who have spec plans to choose from.

Also, there are quite a few neighborhoods that have a portion that may be waterfront/marshfront while the bulk of the homes are on interior lots. This can cause quite a disparity in pricing within the same development.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,302,392 times
And to add...

You have to realize that some of the specified places on your list are master planned communities. Dunes West and Park West are perfect examples. Park West contains over 20 individual subdivisions. These range from duplex developments, to townhomes, to condos, to vinyl sided spec build homes, to neighborhoods that contain only custom homes.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 AM

Can anyone please tell us which of the subdivisions on our list are not as desirable due to location, build quality of the house, etc.?

Location is very important to us, as is build quality. We don't want a custom house, just a good solid house.

I understand now that houses may vary greatly within one subdivision - had NO idea Park West was so big...

But we really need help weeding out the less desirable ones/locations.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,157,340 times
Mac, have you contacted a Realtor yet?

They can help you narrow your search quite a bit, there are more than a few on this site that are very good.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM

4,164 posts, read 3,484,163 times
I have only been in some of those areas. We each have such specific likes and dislikes. I'll comment on what I know

Charleston National, Hamlin, Park West, Dunes West -- all large communities with a range of housing options. Great communities for families.

Waters Edge -- my father in law and his wife live in this community. They love it. Older homes, well treed, mixed community -- retirees, families, etc. Good community in a good location.

When we started looking in the Charleston area, we didn't hear of any areas to stay away from in Mount Pleasant. Some of the communities are older, the homes may be dated. It all depends on your personal preference. Of all those communities, you may find a handful of houses you like. Your best bet. Pick your top 6 to start, come down, connect with a realtor and drive around.

Like each of us -- communities have their own personality and you will know right away -- even if your realtor doesn't adivse you -- what works for you.

Even if we all give our 2 cents here -- you have no idea about us and what our expectations or preferences are. I would hate to steer you away from a community that is fine, but not my style.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,148,886 times
Macalan,
Have you actually looked at the specific listings within all those subdivisions? There are several that you have listed that I would be very surprised to learn actually had houses at or under 250k, although they do have condos in that price range. Your wording makes me think you are looking for a single family home rather than a condo, so if I'm mistaken please disregard this.
I would personally avoid Lieben Park. The houses look nice from what I have seen, but the subdivision is surrounded by mobile homes sitting ten feet up in cinder blocks. I hate to even mention it since it makes me sound elitists and I'm not, but that part of town is mostly unincorporated, and it looks it. You will see lots of broken down cars in the lawns, piles of junk, sagging fences, etc....I don't equate poor with automatically higher crime rates, so it may be a perfectly safe neighborhood. It just doesn't look nice IMO, and if that matters to you then you should look elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,716,194 times
Driving out Rte 41 to Rivertowne, Dunes West, Park West looks like crap. Parts of Rifle Range Road, Rte 17, etc. all look like crap.

Remember, less then 20 years ago the north end of Mount Pleasant (above the Isles of Palms Connector) was rural woods were poor folks lived.

That will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area