Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, with the high number of dui's arrests means that "they catch the offenders"

Inversely the low numbers of other crime, does that mean the police let it regular crime run rampant?

Not trying to start a Mt P fight but you can't say reason for no arrests is low crime for the typical crimes. Then when something has high arrests, say the police are diligent at there work catching people, that there is no problem there.

It starts sounding like you are working the numbers to always be in your favor.

I mean is the heart of N. Charleston the safest place in all of Charleston because of all the arrests there?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,672,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Just out of curiosity, with the high number of dui's arrests means that "they catch the offenders"

Inversely the low numbers of other crime, does that mean the police let it regular crime run rampant?
Hmmmm, what do the numbers actually say?
DUI is a crime that generally goes unnoticed unless the driver causes an accident, or is caught. Because of that it's pretty hard to really know just how much it is happening.
Other crimes aren't really like that except the so called "victimless" crimes like prostitution or drug use/sale.
The low crime rate in MP isn't a low arrest count, it's a low report rate.
So unless you are supposing that the people of MP are less likely to report crimes committed against them I don't really get the comparison.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,299,719 times
A famous Author once said don't trust people who use numbers, they are liars...

Or something to that affect...

Figures don't lie, but liars figure. - Samuel Clemens, is the exact quote

Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Why is it that when we use figures to discribe crime rate in MP we are always "fudging the numbers" but when others (cough cough) use figures for an entire district to describe a specific city's school quality that's okay? Stats are either fair play, or they are not. What's it gonna be??

And for what's it worth, I think you are reaching in your interpretation of that quote.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
So unless you are supposing that the people of MP are less likely to report crimes committed against them I don't really get the comparison.
Maybe they were too busy driving drunk?

Crime is everywhere, it happens, it is going to happen, all statistics aside, majority of the people on this board live in a nice neighborhood(whereever it is) and probably haven't experienced any crime, but probably know someone who did somewhere.

I just think its funny, that we are making a spin that lots of arrests are "good" because that means they are catching everyone, and thus crime is much less then. I am sure lots of people get arrested in Detroit as well. Must be the new hotspot to move to for low crime!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times
Here we go again. The REALITY is that Mt Pleasant has a very low crime rate; one of the lowest in the state for a town its size. DUI's are aggressively pursued and if you drive drunk in Mt P, your chances of getting caught are pretty darn good. That's it. Let's stop reading into this because trying to cast aspersions on an area just gets old.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Maybe they were too busy driving drunk?
Could be! In my neighborhood there are a lot of retirees, and I swear they are the worst culprits around here. My neighbor before we moved was a sweet 70 year old woman, and she was ploughed pretty much every weekend. Thank goodness she never really drove much over 15mph regardless of the speed limit.

TBH, I think there probably are a lot of drunk drivers in MP, I just don't know how you would determine that vs. strict enforcement.
There doesn't seem to be any enforcement against over service that I have seen. I come from a state where bars are regularly fined huge amounts for letting their patrons even GET drunk, so seeing people stumble out of bars is new to me.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,268,814 times
MP is full of drunks. If you don't live there, stay out and far away...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM

212 posts, read 491,818 times
MP just has hooker crimes... LOLOL. Just kidding. I had to throw that in there. MP is a safe place to live as well as a lot of other places around Charleston. There are pockets of crime as is to be expected in a metropolitan area of this many people. People on this forum are so uptight!!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM

I can't even follow the thread any more because our snack bar at the pool has started selling Margaritas. That's the REAL reason for all the MP drunks.

Edit: it may also be the reason preparingtomove saw all the yard disarray here. We are far to busy to mow!!!
Someone pass the salt, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area