U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 AM

345 posts, read 614,214 times
Smile charleston area demographics

hi guys...I'm new to the forum. I'll be moving to SC (Mt. Pleasant) in August of '07. I am a 32 year old single mom of a 17 month-old beautiful baby boy. We are African-American or Black, whichever you prefer. I really want to live in a diverse area where my son will be exposed to different ethnicities. Do you think Mt. Pleasant has what I'm looking for? Also, I'm looking for a job as a Registered Nurse. I currently live about 56 miles south of Chicago and there is a HUGE nursing shortage here for. I've been researching nursing jobs in SC for new grads-I've even contacted a few area hospitals- but things don't seem to be too promising down there jobwise. I'd appeciate any responses. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 06:23 AM

890 posts, read 2,909,902 times
To be honest, no. Mount Pleasant is primarily made up of middle to upper class whites. I believe the ratio is about 91% white and about 6% black. Most of the black families that live there, have been there for many years and are poor. Mount Pleasant was basically built up around them.

Mount Pleasant is probably the most least diverse town in the Charleston area. I call it the land of the clones, because everything and everyone there looks alike.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Default thanks!

Thank you! That really does come in handy. Any ideas about a neighborhood that may give me the diversity I'm looking for?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:53 PM

55 posts, read 118,401 times
Is there a reason you chose Mount Pleasant ? its really a tourist town across the river from downtown Charleston on the way to the beaches (Isle of Palms) Charleston does have an excellent teaching hospital , have you contacted them ? would not call people in Mount Pleasant clones though lots of yankees too lol what exactly are you looking for..... good luck in your move

Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 PM

KMalone upstate Greenville SC is a very diversified city with an excellent teaching hospital system also, very cosmopolitan many Brits (as I am) French, German, Swiss Indian etc. A beautiful downtown area and affordable housing. Check it out we would love to have you. No clones lol

Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 PM

I'm not really sure why I chose Mt. Pleasant. I think a big part was the proximity to the ocean, which I love. I will be moving there in August of "07. I found a nice apartment community there. I plan to live there for a year while I learn about the area. Hopeful, toward the end of 2008 I will be househunting in the town/city that I love. Of course I don't know what town that is yet. I've heard a lot about Summerville. I think it's pretty close to the ocean, and there are a number of hospitals nearby.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I will start researching Greenvile as well!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:26 PM

Yeah Summerville is a nice town not far from Charleston. I visit the Charleston area at least twice a year I am from the coast in the UK so have salt in my veins lol . good luck hon

Old 09-22-2006, 04:00 PM

110 posts, read 279,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post
hi guys...I'm new to the forum. I'll be moving to SC (Mt. Pleasant) in August of '07. I am a 32 year old single mom of a 17 month-old beautiful baby boy. We are African-American or Black, whichever you prefer. I really want to live in a diverse area where my son will be exposed to different ethnicities. Do you think Mt. Pleasant has what I'm looking for? Also, I'm looking for a job as a Registered Nurse. I currently live about 56 miles south of Chicago and there is a HUGE nursing shortage here for. I've been researching nursing jobs in SC for new grads-I've even contacted a few area hospitals- but things don't seem to be too promising down there jobwise. I'd appeciate any responses. Thanks!
Dont mean to start an arguement, but you did say you are black, so wouldnt diversity be living around white people. or those who are not black? When you say diversity, what exactly do you mean?

Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel View Post
Dont mean to start an arguement, but you did say you are black, so wouldnt diversity be living around white people. or those who are not black? When you say diversity, what exactly do you mean?
Yes, I am black. I'm not sure if I used the right word or not, but when I was referring to diversity, I meant that I want my son to grow up around many different types of people. I grew up in an all black neighborhood, and that was fine, but I was in for a big shock by the time I entered college. I think it would be wonderful for him to have classmates from many different backgrounds. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him being one of the only black kids in the nieghborhood or at school. I do understand your comment- definately not argument material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area