Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,326,754 times

Advertisements

Crossing guard struck by truck in critical condition - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

What do yall think about this, happened over by Sangaree Elementary School...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Not a harsh enough punishment and I hope the guard will be ok.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,549 times
I can't understand why she only received a fine and points against her licence. Does 4 points off your license prevent you from driving? I'm just floored by how light the consequence is.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM

246 posts, read 518,647 times
I think we haven't been given all the facts and here's why...

Someone I know lives in Sangaree and drives by that school every day on the way to work. Yesterday morning he said that 'there was something wrong with the crossing guard', she was stumbling around and almost stepped in front of his vehicle.

Perhaps if there was a medical issue with the woman a more inexperienced driver would not have been as adept at avoiding her. Which is not to say the teenage driver was not at fault...

Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
First of all we don't know what the actual consequences are -- they listed that the charge 'calls for' but didn't say anything else.

They may be investigating and may be able to add additional charges.

There are too many details not included to comment.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
First of all we don't know what the actual consequences are -- they listed that the charge 'calls for' but didn't say anything else.

True.

I guess I was reading it as a done deal. I just remember having a conditional license when I was a teen and it involved losing your license if you were in an accident or received a traffic violation (within so many months of receiving the license...I think within a year).

Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29483 View Post
I think we haven't been given all the facts and here's why...

Someone I know lives in Sangaree and drives by that school every day on the way to work. Yesterday morning he said that 'there was something wrong with the crossing guard', she was stumbling around and almost stepped in front of his vehicle.

Perhaps if there was a medical issue with the woman a more inexperienced driver would not have been as adept at avoiding her. Which is not to say the teenage driver was not at fault...
Nothing in the police report nor in the news story is mentioned about anything being wrong with the crossing guard.

And if this person you know knows something, they should step forward.

Letting the girl get off with so little punishment is outrageous in my opinion. She didnt just bump the crossing guard or brush by the crossing guard. Witness at the scene put her doing 20-30mph and basically said the crossing guard went flying and when she landed she didn't move.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:

"The teen is charged with disobeying a school guard directing traffic, an offense which calls for a $225 fine and a deduction of four points."

That's pretty cut and dry.

'CALLS FOR' as you put it pretty much means that is the fine/punishment.

And I love how a person was hit by a car and the only charge is 'Disobeying a School Guard Directing Traffic'.

ROFL ... what a joke.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
I still think the article is too vague. I do think that in general, the fines/charges are too lenient for young drivers.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I still think the article is too vague. I do think that in general, the fines/charges are too lenient for young drivers.
Even having had my license suspended for one year my junior year in High School due to too many speeding tickets (I'm a muscle car junkie and had no problem racing whoever wanted a go ), I have to say that I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area