Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Oh I guess you don't spend as much time on this board as some of us.

Capt. Rick keeps going on and on about that Trotter place. It's a buffet. After three years of him going on and on and on about it on this board , I have decided that DESPITE it being a buffet i will have to try it.

Then you folks talk about this Mamma Brown's BBQ and It is also a buffet. Again -- not my fave kind of dining but obviously worth it.

My comment had nothing to do with Mt. Pleasant specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Cape was referring to MtP only, there are Buffets all over the Charleston area...

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Yup there are. But I think Cape thought i was complaining about buffets in Mt. Pleasant. I wasn't -- I was moaning about buffets in general.<G>

Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Cape was referring to MtP only, there are Buffets all over the Charleston area...
Bingo

Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
I hate buffets, detest them really EXCEPT Mama Browns. Seriously good food. Love their fried chicken and their vinegar BBQ. Their fried chicken reminds me of my childhood when we had a lady that came to our house to cook and clean. Tastes the same as Alma's fried chicken and that was GOOD fried chicken. Plus, I just love some good Southern vegetables. We would go there and my husband would eat his weight in rutabagas. He's quite excited to get his rutabagas back because he says I just can't cook them the same.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times
I'm in the same boat as Moneil and Southbel. I really hate buffets too, but Trotters has been talked up enough to try, and I guess I'll have to give Mamma Brown's a try too. Hopefully they will do well in that spot. It doesn't seem like a good location to me, since it's kind of hidden and not easy to get to. Hopefully they have enough of a following they can overcome any location difficulties.
Skarney's was absolutely repulsive, so hopefully it was just their food quality that caused the failure and not location.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
Mama Brown's is open now. It opened a couple days ago. I saw the sign today that it was open, so we decided to go tonight. I would highly suggest to wait to go until they have all the bugs worked out. First, there is no buffet, but there is a big menu. We were there around 7:30 pm tonight and they were out of hushpuppies, okra, chicken fingers, onion rings, and a couple other things. There were no collards because they are not in season. We gave the worker our order and all the sides I asked for they were out of. I decided just to go with red hickory bbq chicken with fries and coleslaw. The other half ordered a pulled pork bbq sandwich with bbq sauce basket. I originally ordered black pot chicken, which is a rice dish. When they didn't have collards, okra, or hushpuppies, I changed my order. The worker had to have someone come over to cancel out the black pot chicken. I then gave her money to pay and she couldn't get the drawer open. Someone else had to take my money and go to another register to get my change. The food came out fast. The woman that brought the food said that they didn't have hushpuppies and asked what I would like instead. She had rice and rutabaga packaged for me, which is not what I ordered. She asked what I would like and I ended up telling her the red hickory bbq chicken with green beans and red rice. It only took about a minute to get it. We brought our food home and mine was excellent! The other half ended up with vinegar based pork, which is not what he ordered, and soggy fries. He didn't like the pork and he had to put the fried in the oven to cook them more.

The workers were extremely stressed and didn't seem to know what they were doing. I will definitely go back because I really liked what I ordered, but I will wait until they have been open for a bit. The prices were very reasonable.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Mama Brown's is open now. It opened a couple days ago. I saw the sign today that it was open, so we decided to go tonight. I would highly suggest to wait to go until they have all the bugs worked out. First, there is no buffet, but there is a big menu. We were there around 7:30 pm tonight and they were out of hushpuppies, okra, chicken fingers, onion rings, and a couple other things. There were no collards because they are not in season. We gave the worker our order and all the sides I asked for they were out of. I decided just to go with red hickory bbq chicken with fries and coleslaw. The other half ordered a pulled pork bbq sandwich with bbq sauce basket. I originally ordered black pot chicken, which is a rice dish. When they didn't have collards, okra, or hushpuppies, I changed my order. The worker had to have someone come over to cancel out the black pot chicken. I then gave her money to pay and she couldn't get the drawer open. Someone else had to take my money and go to another register to get my change. The food came out fast. The woman that brought the food said that they didn't have hushpuppies and asked what I would like instead. She had rice and rutabaga packaged for me, which is not what I ordered. She asked what I would like and I ended up telling her the red hickory bbq chicken with green beans and red rice. It only took about a minute to get it. We brought our food home and mine was excellent! The other half ended up with vinegar based pork, which is not what he ordered, and soggy fries. He didn't like the pork and he had to put the fried in the oven to cook them more.

The workers were extremely stressed and didn't seem to know what they were doing. I will definitely go back because I really liked what I ordered, but I will wait until they have been open for a bit. The prices were very reasonable.
Yeah, it's close to the house and hubby says he's waiting to go there because it's been absolutely packed since it opened (re-opened, I guess). I never like to go to places until they've been open a bit for the very reasons you cited above. Even though it's Momma Brown's - it's still a new location, new waitstaff, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yeah, it's close to the house and hubby says he's waiting to go there because it's been absolutely packed since it opened (re-opened, I guess). I never like to go to places until they've been open a bit for the very reasons you cited above. Even though it's Momma Brown's - it's still a new location, new waitstaff, etc.
I was really disappointed that there wasn't a buffet because there are so many things on the menu I want to try. I noticed one table outside for eating. I think next time we will eat there and sit outside. The red rice with sausage and green beans were great! I may talk like a northerner, but I think I am really southern because I love all the southern food!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
I don't care for Brown's NC vinegar BBQ, their fatty chicken, there cheap quality over cooked pork chops, lousy ribs or the canned nanna pudding...

mac n cheese is pretty good, begga's not bad, beans ok... I stop by the one in Moncks Corner about once a year to see if it's changed, hasn't yet so it'll be another year...

the old man swears the judges stop by his place to eat after our BBQ contest at the fairgrounds, but I really find that hard to believe unless he's cooking them something else in the back

IMHO it isn't worth the stop unless they have something different in MtP than in MC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area