U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2012, 05:53 AM

2,817 posts, read 2,033,667 times

Advertisements

I think the shopping is lacking here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 AM

1,131 posts, read 847,345 times
Default means what I wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
"If you are a normal person, not a high- falutin status person that likes to spend money and go high end shopping, then you might like Wilmington or Myrtle Beach better" ~ Coastalbum

Wow. Not even sure Im gonna bother with that battle. Seriously Coatalbum?
Yea, if you like spending money and status Charleston (downtown) is for you, If you are a normal , casual person choose Wilmington or Myrtle. Understand?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
The beaches of Charleston (IOP, Sullivan's, Folly, Kiawah) all have an ocean same as others you're considering.

But what is it about "beach" that attracts you?

For me, it's the beauty & peace of the place. Charleston's beaches give me the most of what I'm looking for.
I am glad you asked Joyeaux,

Here is what attracts me. I grew up all my life on the coast. So, I am very thankful for the beautiful creation (ocean, rivers ). I love salt water areas. Yes, they are all beaches, but for example the beach can be more than just the water.
1. The waves , since I surf, make or break a local area.
2. The people there, Is it a young crowd, music playing, older crowd, certainly different atmospheres with different beaches
3. Are there resturants on the beach? A place to go up to and sit and eat or drink and look out at the water and beach. I love this. Are there multiple oceanfront places to do this. Music playing , maybe even a band.
For Jersey Girl, the beach she will like depends on the person she is.

For me:
IOP : family beach, pretty cool beach, medium waves when there are waves
Sullivan's Beach: very boring, worst beach in Charleston, never go there
no waves
Folly: the best beach in Charleston for my interests, A few places on the beach you can go to, younger people and families, and the best waves when we have them. Prefer to go east or west streets at Folly, and not to the Tides (Old Holiday Inn) Tourist Central
Kiawah- Family, tourist beach, far out from Charleston, but nice and clean, not really a spot for waves

Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM

850 posts, read 728,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Yea, if you like spending money and status Charleston (downtown) is for you, If you are a normal , casual person choose Wilmington or Myrtle. Understand?
I understand...you really didn't need to repeat yourself. So "normal" people don't spend money on nice things? I'm "normal" and "casual" and I like nice things and shopping. I could care less about status. Status does absolutely nothing for me. Understand?

Last edited by klysik; 06-02-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,071,978 times
coastalbum, thanks for putting it out there ... a different point of view. I guess I'll never see ya at Sullivan's. It's my perfect beach & just so boring!
And Jerseygirl, coastalbum has it right ... for him & good info for you.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,681,381 times
Joy, my wife loves Sullivan's Island as well, for the same reason that Coastal doesn't like it....

Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM

5,523 posts, read 4,468,599 times
With you on this, klysik!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
I understand...you really didn't need to repeat yourself. So "normal" people don't spend money on nice things? I'm "normal" and "casual" and I like nice things and shopping. I could care less about status. Status does absolutely nothing for me. Understand?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM

I am enjoying this thread and was glad to give a different perspective on local beaches for Jersey Girl.

I have to keep an open mind an understand some people like Sullivan's Island Beach. It is quiet , with no waves, and not much happening, but I am glad you all like to go there. I know others (particularly women that like it there).

I also want to apoligize to klysik for stating normal people would not be shopping in Charleston, I understand normal people can like nice things and shopping and not care about status. I understand status does nothing for you. So, how do you enjoy living with all the rich people on Daniel Island?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 AM

850 posts, read 728,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I am enjoying this thread and was glad to give a different perspective on local beaches for Jersey Girl.

I have to keep an open mind an understand some people like Sullivan's Island Beach. It is quiet , with no waves, and not much happening, but I am glad you all like to go there. I know others (particularly women that like it there).

I also want to apoligize to klysik for stating normal people would not be shopping in Charleston, I understand normal people can like nice things and shopping and not care about status. I understand status does nothing for you. So, how do you enjoy living with all the rich people on Daniel Island?
"Rich people" is all relative coastalbum. But I can tell that you are bitter about it. Truth be told, I had to move my family there to help take care of my bedridden late stage dementia father that needs 24-hr care from myself and hospice. Amazing that you are shallow enough to put a "label" on someone because they have a certain address. My address has nothing to do with status, so stop ranting like an idiot because right now I'm going to bet this forum thinks you're one.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Klysik, I was joking about Daniel Island. I am sorry you had to go there for your father. I will say a prayer for him.
See I respond with kindness.
Regards,
Coastalbum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area