Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times

Advertisements

As others have said, 2 pets is very vague. Can you have a fishtank with 10 fish? Can you have 2 dogs and a hamster? I haven't heard about this limitation before, what neighborhoods are you focusing on currently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomziIIa View Post
Our house is on the market and we are wanting to relocate to Charleston, SC when it sells.

I've been looking at HOA covenants and generally they list (2) pets. I have 2 miniature dashchunds and my 83 year old Mother who lives with us has a small toy fox terrier. (All are mostly inside dogs and we are extremely responsible - cleaning up after our pets, obedience trained, etc.)

This puts us over the limit. Does anyone know if there are any cases where special consideration is given based on size? Paying extra in HOA fees?

Otherwise we are going to be out of the market for most or all subdivisions in the Charleston area.

Thanks!
~Barb
You vill conform, comrade. All it takes is one vigilant citizen to report the excess to authorities, and then the only option is to pay a fine that is increasing with time or to conform.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
I agree with most. Having dealt with an HOA from hell once, it only takes one busybody to insist you comply with the 2 dog rule or vacate. They can fine you daily and WILL. They can put a lien on your home if you don't pay. Be sure you are willing to comply completely with any and all rules of the HOA. While 95% or more of people wouldn't care about one extra small dog, it only takes the one neighbor to ruin it and HOA boards often attract the most hard-nosed hateful people who have zero control over their own life and use their HOA board position to wield power and make themselves feel important. I am sure my displeasure exudes in my writing. I will never again live in an HOA neighborhood, but it you like the added features of one, be sure you comply with ALL rules fully. Any "exceptions" granted by the board can be revoked later. Follow the writing and not necessarily current enforcement. Remember the board today may not be the same as the board tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Covenants are rarely vague. I would suspect if there is a 2 dog limit or 2 cat limit it is specifically outlined and clearly does not apply to 'fish'.

You are all assuming that all HOA's limit pets to 2. I think you have to check with each community. As stated before, not all HOA's limit pets.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,895 times
I would call an HOA rep for the specific community you are looking into and see if they still have that bylaw. As time progresses, sometimes HOAs realize that the rule doesn't fit the community and they ammend it. HOAs are iffy about updating online information.

IF they do have the 2 pet rule, I'd stay clear. You don't want to get yourself in a mess. If you didn't already have 3 dogs, then that would be a different story.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM

177 posts, read 478,992 times
Our HOA doesn't have this type of limit on pets, they have a clause restricting livestock however.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 47,221 times
Hi Barb! If you are buying, I strongly suggest a real estate agent to assist with the terms of your HOA rules regarding pets. I'm partial because I work in real estate.
If you are renting, I would suggest explaining your pets to a potential landlord or owner and see what they say. If approved in writing from the owner/landlord, you should be okay.
I think @bulldogrsp61 is correct. The purpose it to deter people from kenneling.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
If it is in the rules of the HOA they can enforce it, plain as that, so as others have said it only takes one or two neighbors who don't like you or your dog and wam you have an issue...
Unfortunately not true. Some HOAs have rules and regulations yet they aren't set up to be able to enforce. They will write you a letter to do such and such and most will abide but not all HOAs are set up to be able to enforce the rules. That's how mine is set up. I learned the hard way.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Not all covenants are enforceable. Some can be argued to be 'unconstitutional'.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM

177 posts, read 478,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Unfortunately not true. Some HOAs have rules and regulations yet they aren't set up to be able to enforce. They will write you a letter to do such and such and most will abide but not all HOAs are set up to be able to enforce the rules. That's how mine is set up. I learned the hard way.
Be very careful and validate...you can look in Dorchester county website and see the many liens our HOA has placed on homeowners for violations. I can't speak for all but ours definitely is set up to enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area