Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 06:58 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,583 times

Advertisements

Ack!

With all the rain it was bound to happen. I found a water spot on the ceiling in the master bathroom. I had a buddy go up into the attic to check it out because I'm clumsy and the last time I tried to make my way over the master bathroom I ended up with a hole in the ceiling of my closet.

Anyway my buddy went up and found the spot directly under the sewer vent pipe. The two working theories are

1. The seal on the roof is broken/old/whatever and water was able to make its way down the outside of the pipe and drip onto the drywall

2. The pipe collected water and there is a loose connection somewhere that is leaking.

Either way, while he was up there my buddy put his foot through the drywall over my closet. It was actually in the EXACT SAME SPOT that I did it 3 years ago

So I need a handy man that won't charge me an arm and a leg to find and fix the leak and the two spots on the ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,180,683 times
Oh my goodness! We had problems, too.

We had a leak in our roof AND water was leaking into our garage from the side wall.

The roof leak was due to the peak of the roof losing its cap. I think it is called a cap. My husband went up yesterday and replaced/tarred it.

On the outside of our garage wall we have a raised area with bushes. The roof water runs right down into it. The water just couldn't be absorbed so we got run off. We don't have gutters (like all the homes in the area of our subdivison) so it two roofs pouring the water into one spot. We couldn't exactly tell where it was coming in because of shelving units. What a mess!

I dont know a handy-man but I can definitely relate. Oh, and unrelated to the weather....my dishwasher leaked. I have been waterlogged all freakin week.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Well I was a little panicky last night.

As it turns out, the spot where my buddy put his foot through was actually a clean break since it's been broken before. I cut it out this morning and now I'm waiting for him to call me so he can come over. I've already measured the hole and I have drywall (left by the previous owner) in the garage. I'll let him cut it since I believe he has a slightly steadier hand than I do.

My neighbor has a tall ladder so when he wakes up I'll see if he can check my roof for me (if I'm too clumsy for an attic a roof ain't happening) and reseal the pipe up there if needs be. Then it's just a matter of replacing the drywall from what I've got in the garage or going to Lowes for new stuff if I run short.

Another friend has a popcorn blower so I can popcorn the ceiling again. The house is already popcorned and it'll be easier to popcorn those spots than to scrape and sand the rest right now.

Anyway, if anyone has handyman suggestions, I wouldn't mind them in case I end up getting in over my head but I think I should be okay as long as the problem is the seal on that pipe. The Wet spot is located literally below the hole where it comes down from the roof so I'm about 95% sure that's the problem. The other 5% is that there are a couple of couplers there because the pipe changes direction so it's possible that one or more of them is leaking but my money is on the seal considering the amount of rain that we had and the fact that the wet spot is directly below the hole.

The joys of home ownership right? : smack::s mack:

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,784,136 times
Get up there with a caulk gun and some roof sealer, and seal around the pipe and the rubber boot it goes through. It'll take you longer to round up a ladder and everything else than to actually do it.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Get up there with a caulk gun and some roof sealer, and seal around the pipe and the rubber boot it goes through. It'll take you longer to round up a ladder and everything else than to actually do it.
6 foot A frame in the bed of my truck worked wonders of joy...

The closet is about done and my real estate agent said that once the ceiling is completely dry, bleach will take out the brown spot.

Once the mud is dry, I just need to popcorn the closet and I should be good to go. My buddy sealed up the pipe so it should stop leaking (I hope).

Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,320,205 times
Get a good ceiling paint and it will cover it up too....

Just need to use a very large nap roller over the popcorn..

Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,163,504 times
Binn or Kilz paint covers everything (rust, water spots)

Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM

It was not the seal.

Turns out it was a nail a few inches away from the pipe. I blackjacked the attic side of it but I have a more than healthy nervous respect (crippling fear) of heights so I ain't going on the roof.

Anyone know of anyone who can fix this for me?

Near as I can tell:

The nail is rusted or something and water is getting in around it and dripping onto the ceiling. I've blackjacked the attic side, but that's a bandaid at best. I think the nail needs to come out and either get replaced or the hole needs to be plugged on both sides with blackjack.

My buddy would do it but he isn't a pro and doesn't really know what he's doing so at this point, I'm willing to pay someone who can fix it once and have it fixed for good.

As it stands, I have the insulation moved out of the way and a tarp between the roof and the drywall. When the tarp fills up too much I take a towel up there to soak up the water. The blackjack held for a while but it gave under yesterdays rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area