U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM

870 posts, read 1,425,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. I have never been to law school. I have never taken the bar, any law school entrance exam or even a pre law class as an undergrad. Any advice I give regarding legal action is strictly based on hearsay. For example "someone told me" or "I heard once." I make no claims or guarantees that anything I tell you will win court cases or even hold up enough to not get you laughed at by a judge.
End disclaimer

My sister went to college in Washington DC and had some issues with one of the places she and some friends rented one year. One of her roomies happened to have a parent who was a real estate attorney in Colorado or something. Bottom line, they ended up making and paying for repairs and were legally able to withhold a certain amount of rent until they had recouped their costs.

I'm not saying this will work and you would DEFINITELY want to speak with a local attorney but if the office is ignoring your requests to do something and a legitimate danger is present (poisonous snakes near bikes qualifies as legit danger in my mind) then you may be able to get the other residents together to hire someone to solve the problem and collectively withhold rent from the complex or whatever.

I always thought that the majority of the draw of renting was that you didn't need to deal with crap like this on your own?
That sounds pretty accurate..majority rules and stuff.
I went today and told them it was out of control..4 in the last 2 weeks? That 4 too many in my boo. They said that it is because of the construction across the street (I get that but that isn't an answer)..I am going to give them a mayor two and see what action they've taken..if any.
Thanks for the ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM

870 posts, read 1,425,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
(serious question)

If you're actually interested in something like that, where can you go to read about it?
There are books that I found at Barnes and Noble about Daniel Island that give the entire history back to 1700's..talks about everything from the farming, waterways, etc. Also books on Charleston, etc. All the history of how the land/people began.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM

1,923 posts, read 3,009,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
There are books that I found at Barnes and Noble about Daniel Island that give the entire history back to 1700's..talks about everything from the farming, waterways, etc. Also books on Charleston, etc. All the history of how the land/people began.
Check out the local libraries too. They have all kinds of books on the history around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area