U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM

66 posts, read 275,786 times

Advertisements

So I was looking at my SCE&G Bill and found that it went up by 12% from the same time last year ... even though the KWh usage was 20% less than last year.

Here is the breakdown ..
First 800 kWh X ($ 0.117130 + $ 0.011790 WNA)
Next 569 kWh X ($ 0.128770 + $ 0.011790 WNA)

The SCE&G Website
SCE&G - Electric Weather Normalization

cites the following foggy concept of how they come up with the WNA amount ...

How is the WNA rate determined?
The method used to determine the WNA factor is approved by the Public Service Commission of South Carolina (PSC). It is unique to each customer based on type of residence, rate and other individual billing factors. It also changes from one bill to the next based on weather.

I called them to have them show me the formula they used to justify the extra charge. The CSR could not provide that information ... all he did was direct me to the above web page.

I called PSC ... and after a 20-minute hold waiting for a rep ... I got a "Please leave msg and we will call back".

Is this one more case of a big corporation picking the pockets of a gullible citizenry?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,033,511 times
Ah, good 'ole SCE&G is at it again.
I posted about something similar to this last year.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM

26,773 posts, read 5,719,387 times
I wonder the same...

was sent the request for me to go to average bill/ 12 months...not sure if it is a scam or not! Maybe I am wrong but seems like they do whatever...with no repercussions. Same with Charleston Water.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,804,302 times
Yep; got something in my water bill about some insurance the other day.
Sounds like a scam to get more of our money. As if taxes aren't killing us already.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 28,534 times
I have been doing a lot of research on this. Here is my latest email to the state with my current position on WNA.

Quote:
Hello Chad,

After speaking with Dr. Lynch I still hold firm to the opinion that the weather normalization adjustments are illogical. I still have the following complaints.

1. WNA applies unnecessary penalties to those who do not experience expected power usage trends.
2. WNA has decoupled supply and demand from driving price. Given the fact that SCG&E hired a statistician to argue this policy to your office I have a gut feeling that this decoupling has a benefit in their favor.
3. By raising the rate on cold months and lowering it on hot months. From a social perspective this is damaging. Why would we want to encourage further straining the power grid by removing the incentive to save power in the summer? This is backwards.

Everyone I have talked to explained that the purpose of this change was to help people with billing issues. This does not suffice. If the goal is to make month to month bills more static you can simply apply a different billing structure. There exists a billing structure where usage for the previous year is summed and spread evenly across 12 months. Any adjustments are settled at the end of the year and even those with high amounts due can again spread the difference over the next 12 months. This solution settles the issue with irregular bills. There is no need for WNA.

I requested SCE&G create a website where users can go at any time to forecast the expected effect of WNA on their bill. Since user can no longer use standard logic of "It's hot out. My bill is going to be high" I request there be a little more transparency in exactly how this backwards system is going to effect our pocket books.

In the mean time I am going to work with Dr. Lynch until I can at any point in time calculate the effect WNA will have on my bill at the current point. I plan on creating a site to do what I have requested SCE&G do above. I also hope to find a way to apply upcoming 30 day weather forecasts to the calculation to allow for forecasting. I will share a link when I am done and will be happy to work with your office & SCE&G to make the tool public.

Clearly I am not a fan of WNA. Dr. Lynch's claim that this policy benefits most people. SCE&G is a public company and is not eating cost nor profit to benefit most people. If people are benefiting it is on the backs of those who do not fit in the expected model. This is not something the government should allow / promote.

Is there any way we can get rid of WNA? When this policy was presented to your office who represented the opposing side? Can you please address the concerns raised in this email. Dr. Lynch agreed with most points I brought up. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate you hearing my complaints about this policy and providing feedback.

--Zane
I also forwarded this email to Melanie with the Post and Courier who wrote an article about it.

Quote:
Hello Melanie,

I just read your article in June titled BALOG COLUMN: Mild temps might not mean milder bills (I think it should say BLOG).

I was hit significantly bad in June. My power bill took a $100 swing from June 2011. Ever since I received my bill I have been making phone calls and sending emails to learn more about this. I have communicated with multiple resources on from SC's Office of Regulatory Staff and was eventually forwarded to Dr. Joseph Lynch who was the statistician who works for SCG&E who actually presented WNA to whichever group voted it into effect. If you have a moment please read my communication to Chad Cambell below. Chad is the representative of the Office of Regulatory Staff who has been working with me. I believe I have made some good pints and hope some of these points interest you into continuing your investigation into SCG&E

I appreciate your time. Thank you and have a good day.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 PM

167 posts, read 269,347 times
Do you ever get a credit for under-using power based on the estimated bill?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM

They add charges when the weather is colder than average and deduct charges when the weather is hotter than average.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM

167 posts, read 269,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaneP View Post
They add charges when the weather is colder than average and deduct charges when the weather is hotter than average.

OK then it's a scam. Or just a really poor plan.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,950,447 times
This is what happens when monopolies are allowed.

If it were put to a vote, I'd mark the "charge me for what I use every month" column.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM

The further and further I dig into WNA the more issues I find. In case my comments above were too complicated for you a quick summary is that SCG&E adjusts the cost of your power depending on how hot or cold it is outside. When it is colder than normal you pay more for your power. When it is hotter than normal you pay less for your power.

In my latest findings I found that on October 21, 2011, SCE&G notified the Commission of an eWNA billing error resulting in an over-credit to customers bills totaling approximately $14 million and that SCE&G would recover that over-credited amount pursuant to applicable Commission Regulations. In response SCG&E has lowered the amount you are saving on hot months by 20%.

I could talk for hours to share more info on this but at this point it would be wasted breath. I need to find someone in the news who is able to do a story about this. Who do I contact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area