U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM

870 posts, read 1,707,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Why Southbel! I am shocked! I would expect such behavior of Scuba Steve, but not a sweet Southern belle like you .... LOL!
That's because you have a stereotypical view of southern belles.

Your view is the view from the front. This is the view of a composed young lady who smiles kindly with her hands folded politely behind her back.

The view from the back is different. She's smiling because she's trying to contain her temper. Her hands aren't folded, they're wrapped around a .45 and if you hear her say "OH! HELL NO!" I would advise you to take off running but to not be the first person she sees running-her daddy didn't raise her to miss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,007,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
That's because you have a stereotypical view of southern belles.

Your view is the view from the front. This is the view of a composed young lady who smiles kindly with her hands folded politely behind her back.

The view from the back is different. She's smiling because she's trying to contain her temper. Her hands aren't folded, they're wrapped around a .45 and if you hear her say "OH! HELL NO!" I would advise you to take off running but to not be the first person she sees running-her daddy didn't raise her to miss.

There is a stereotypical view of Southern women. We are polite and understand the social ettiquette necessary to make others around us comfortable. However, we can also fish or hunt as well as the best of them. We can drive a tractor and then plan a dinner party - all in one day. We pride ourselves on our appearance, yes, but we also pride ourselves on our steely resolve. Mess with me or mine and you will see a lioness of striking and stunning ferocity. We strongly believe in our role to raise well-mannered, successful children that embody the traditions, manners, and beliefs that we were taught by our own mothers. As a Southern woman, I am outspoken when I need to be, the one who soothes and solves when I need to be, and the strength to lead when it is needed of me.

There is a movie called Steel Magnolias and I always loved the title, it so perfectly describes Southern women. We may look delicate, easily bruised, and a beautiful thing. But, the truth is that for all of our delicate look, we're made of steel and all that it implies.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 PM

870 posts, read 1,707,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There is a stereotypical view of Southern women. We are polite and understand the social ettiquette necessary to make others around us comfortable. However, we can also fish or hunt as well as the best of them. We can drive a tractor and then plan a dinner party - all in one day. We pride ourselves on our appearance, yes, but we also pride ourselves on our steely resolve. Mess with me or mine and you will see a lioness of striking and stunning ferocity. We strongly believe in our role to raise well-mannered, successful children that embody the traditions, manners, and beliefs that we were taught by our own mothers. As a Southern woman, I am outspoken when I need to be, the one who soothes and solves when I need to be, and the strength to lead when it is needed of me.

There is a movie called Steel Magnolias and I always loved the title, it so perfectly describes Southern women. We may look delicate, easily bruised, and a beautiful thing. But, the truth is that for all of our delicate look, we're made of steel and all that it implies.
I've always loved GRITS...

Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,670,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

I loved that movie. Except for Cher, wasn't she in it?

Bless your heart, Southbel. You sound like a fine fine woman.

Oops, not Cher ...... maybe it was Sally Fields who annoyed me .... LOL

Old 06-29-2012, 03:15 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,007,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I loved that movie. Except for Cher, wasn't she in it?

Bless your heart, Southbel. You sound like a fine fine woman.

Oops, not Cher ...... maybe it was Sally Fields who annoyed me .... LOL
Yes, Sally Fields was in the movie. She was Shelby's mother, M'Lynn. That movie was based upon a true story and it really does embody Southern women, their relationships with another, and small Southern towns. I swear I could point to each character in that and actually name people that they could represent (I grew up in a small Southern Georgia town).

For the record, my mother was like Ouiser. I was a bit of Shelby when I was young (lord did I love pink!) but have found I have gone through the M'Lynn phase and am becoming more and more like Ousier. I think you just reach that age where we've ALL got a bit of Ouiser in us.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 AM

14,274 posts, read 7,863,665 times
DH told me about this older guy that was caught and cited many times for panhandling. He was dressed like a bum but looked way different in court. He also told me that people selling candy were most likely selling stolen goods. I don't give to any of them, but I will donate to the seniors standing out there on hot days trying to raise money for worthwhile charities. I also give to PetsMart via automatic donation on the credit card with every purchase. I'm in favor of helping the unwanted animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area