U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 AM

5,069 posts, read 7,340,416 times
The person one desk over is from... Ohio. She even has it written on her lunch bag so everyone knows which one is hers. I've met maybe one person from there before moving here, and where I work they're everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 AM

2,717 posts, read 1,783,816 times
That was hilarious! Til I got to the end and the comments... some people just don't have a sense of humor....

Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 AM

1,858 posts, read 2,942,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah68 View Post
1.) Weather- Even though I adore snow and cold weather, I haven't had to wear my heavy coat in two years.
2.) Jobs- unless you work in health care administration, there is a distinct lack of jobs in NE Ohio.

And now that I've lived here for almost two years, I'm so happy I'm here. I love, love, love living in the Lowcountry. The only thing I don't like is when people give me grief for saying "pop" instead of "soda." Haha. Just kidding!
This and what GreenvilleBuckeye pointed out. If you are a teacher - forget about Ohio unless you have a good reference that is in a power of position already in a district, and even then it can be hit and miss as almost every district year in & year out is cutting jobs.

We chose here honestly b/c we had visited the state a number of times (have family who live in both Charleston & Hilton Head) and due to the fact that while 'far' from our families & friends, we can still make it back to NE Ohio for a long weekend (just over 8 hours from Columbia) if we need to - although 4-5 day trips are obviously more ideal. We picked Columbia over the coast mainly b/c of the cost of living being so much lower (especially real estate), and it was the place both my wife (a teacher) and I found jobs very easily and quickly. We considered Charlotte & Charleston as well.

After living here through 5 winters now, it has been the main reason I forsee us staying for the long-haul, really hard to imagine enduring the 4 to 5-month marathon that is NE Ohio winter year-in & year-out again.

I know Columbia is a bit different than Charleson & HHI, but I totally understand the 'natives' frustration in trying to shove our heritage down their throats. I still have my Buckeyes plate on the car and have some OSU gear, but I totally understand this being Gamecock country and didn't expect anything less - in fact, I have been pretty impressed with how loyal of a fan base their is here for their football program which until the last couple of seasons has been very mediocre over the years. I will say attending the OSU-SC basketball game in the winter was quite an embarrassment for them though as it was easily 60% Buckeye fans and Scarlet & gray took over the arena! For the most part though, I think it is kind of neat to learn about the SC heritage/language. The only thing I have been irritated by is the 'southern politeness' i.e. not the 'yes, sir' or 'yes, ma'am' - that is a very respectful and commendable tradition - moreso the total avoidance of confronting someone and just being nice to their face, but tearing them down behind their backs. Granted, this happens in every part of the country, but it has just seemed to be exaggerated more here from what I've observed.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM

2,844 posts, read 1,962,304 times

An "opinion" of an author who could write the nonsense like "With their endless winters and flat acres, the Buckeyes anticipate a trip to Charleston like a prepubescent boy's first step into EB Games" can be safely discarded.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM

20 posts, read 16,227 times
I think it is the I77 & I26 direct shot which brings so many people from Ohio to Charleston. The Holy City was established as a major port in the early colonization of the Americas so visitors have been a foundation to our city's culture. I personally like how the city comes alive with visitors in the warmer months. I'm convinced locals are just frustrated in August not because of visitors... but because it is 100 degrees with 100% humidity.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Status: "No one is listening until you fart" (set 14 days ago)

6,718 posts, read 2,929,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalker58526 View Post
I think it is the I77 & I26 direct shot which brings so many people from Ohio to Charleston. The Holy City was established as a major port in the early colonization of the Americas so visitors have been a foundation to our city's culture. I personally like how the city comes alive with visitors in the warmer months. I'm convinced locals are just frustrated in August not because of visitors... but because it is 100 degrees with 100% humidity.
It's because SC put ads in the markets up there trying to drum up tourism. Think they still do it.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 703,324 times
Haha, this is funny, but I try to be cool to everybody. There is a sight here and I see stickers sometimes on cars at Folly Beach and James Island. www.gobacktoohio.com
I don't agree with it, although I am not northern , my Mother was! so, I try to show love to all!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM

870 posts, read 940,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I am not northern , my Mother was! so, I try to show love to all!
I was born in what is now the Rutledge Tower of MUSC back when it was St Francis...

My mother grew up in Queens and dear old Dad is from Van Nuys California. My sister was born in Honolulu. I won the where was I born lotto in this family.

Honestly, I'm not saying they should ALL go back. I just happen to see more Ohio plates than from any other state (some days even SC it seems) and I was wondering why.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM

870 posts, read 940,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
You sir, are no gentleman!
Simply stating a fact. In fairness, I loved the stuff when I was a kid. Now that I'm grown though, I just don't have the stomach for it.

Give me a good ole fashioned root beer float any day of the week and nothing funky either. If I say root beer float, there shouldn't be any follow up questions like "what kind of ice cream?"

Vanilla ice cream in a glass of root beer with a straw and an iced tea spoon. Yes they make them. Yes we have them down here because no one west of Georgia or North of Tennessee knows how to make iced tea right.

I was in a restaurant in St Louis once and the waiter earned himself a big tip through honesty. I asked for sweet tea and he said "you're on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon and the Mississippi for that"

I think I ended up leaving around 30%

Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 AM

1,031 posts, read 703,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I was born in what is now the Rutledge Tower of MUSC back when it was St Francis...

My mother grew up in Queens and dear old Dad is from Van Nuys California. My sister was born in Honolulu. I won the where was I born lotto in this family.

Honestly, I'm not saying they should ALL go back. I just happen to see more Ohio plates than from any other state (some days even SC it seems) and I was wondering why.
This is funny man!
Now, I was born in Virginia Beach , Va. My mother was born in Queens , NY too!!!! My dad and all the rest of my family was from Tidewater , Va (Norfolk, Va. Beach). My daughter was born in St. Francis hospital here in Charleston! I see plates here from Ohio too, and try to be nice to all. If you go to Va. beach you will see many Canadian Plates! I have lived in Charleston 11 years, but my favorite part of the east coast is from Charleston , up through the Carolinas to Va. Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area