U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 AM

3,180 posts, read 2,669,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Where on earth did you come up with this? I live here and know many people that have moved here from Ohio and most have said they moved here for the weather. What does the COL in NY have to do with people from Ohio moving here?
The weather in NY is pretty much the same as the weather in Ohio. Our weather usually comes from the west - if it's raining in Ohio on Tuesday, then it's usually raining in NY on Wednesday. That's how it goes weather-wise except when a Nor' easter comes up the coast.

The COL in Ohio isn't THAT much higher than the COL in SC. So I'm just sayin that weather isn't the ONLY reason for the move but also for a desire to be around people who overall, tend to be more conservative and who support a right to work state.

Ohio is a battleground state. NY will never be a battleground state - it is sadly blue, blue, blue. NYers tend to move to Florida's east coast for the weather, especially in retirement, not SC, because a lot of NYers are blue.

I was responding to Moneill's comment on economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM

22,743 posts, read 12,169,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Economics is part of it, although COL in Ohio doesn't come close to NY .... but I think MOST, not all, but MOST of the people from Ohio making the move to SC, are choosing SC because it is a right to work state and Conservative.

I'm guessing you are aware of the Chick Fil A controversy:

An Editorial Aside: The Great Chick-Fil-A Controversy of 2012: DCist
Yes I am -- this experience was before Chick Fil A's official position. We avoid Chick Fil A but have been a few times on the road. It & Subway are two fast foods we can tolerate.....

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,366,142 times
Chick-fil-a is awesome. I love their new(ish) grilled nuggets!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times
I <3 Chick Fil A

Old 07-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Fast food is fast food.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Side note -- Chick Fil A has issued a statement stepping back a step or two on their stance on gay marriage...leaving it up to the states and focusing on providing good food -- (code for making money). Maybe the boycott had an economic impact......I never think boycotts work.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Side note -- Chick Fil A has issued a statement stepping back a step or two on their stance on gay marriage...leaving it up to the states and focusing on providing good food -- (code for making money). Maybe the boycott had an economic impact......I never think boycotts work.
Do you have a link? I can't find anything where they have stepped back.

Why is it they can't support what they want to support?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,253,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Do you have a link? I can't find anything where they have stepped back.

Why is it they can't support what they want to support?
They can support whatever they want to support. But, the people who are offended by their position can and often do express their displeasure in the most painful way... With their wallets.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
They can support whatever they want to support. But, the people who are offended by their position can and often do express their displeasure in the most painful way... With their wallets.
Right and that is normal and there are businesses I boycott for various reasons... but I would never ask them to change what they support...that's their prerogative... I wonder if this thread will get moved to politico haha

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM

It's on their FB page.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area