Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,997 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. I used to give my ex a hard time about this because she's from Cleveland and based on the number of Ohio transplants to Charleston and South Carolina in general, I determined that Ohio is the worst place in the universe (Detroit notwithstanding).

I went to Ohio last summer and found it to be rather pleasant to be honest. I don't get why so many people leave there to come here.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that South Carolina, especially Charleston, is awesome (though "not Charleston" is pretty good too) I'm just curious as to why so many people from Ohio choose to move south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
i work at a high school that has 4 of us from Ohio. I moved down to SC out of college due to lack of available teaching jobs in 2004. The other guy (in his 40s) moved down here in the early 90s due to you guessed it...lack of teaching jobs. One of the women I teach with who is in her 40s moved down here with her husband b/c he was transferred down here from Cincinnati by GE. The 4th one, i forget why he moved. Now we all live up here in Greenville, SC but still south carolina obviously.

everyone i know especially in the education racket has moved down here due to lack of employment in the midwest (the push factor) and the abundance of education jobs down here (the pull factor).

now mind you i enjoy living and working down here but at no point was i like "man i gotta get me down to SC where it's happening" :-). in fact SC was last on my list of states to teach in after Ohio, VA, NC, and FL.

every person i've met down here from Washington (the state) to Massachusetts and everything else in between says either a.) employment or b.) retirement as their motivation for coming to SC.

a buddy of mine who i work with who is from Michigan said he substitute taught in MI for 4 years before saying the heck with it i'm moving down south.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
Omg I was just coming on here to post this very question! No joke!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
I used to work for an architect, and half the office was from Ohio. I understand a large architectural firm moved a small office here years back in hopes of getting work here since the area was growing. After a few years they closed the office and told their workers it was ready for them to go back to Ohio. Most said no, we're staying here. The winters up there were Sun less and the weather here was much better. From those few people there must be a half dozen firms here now with a totle employment pool of 50 or so people, and most are from Ohio.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Jobs, plain and simple, people move to were the work is...

Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,667 times
1.) Weather- Even though I adore snow and cold weather, I haven't had to wear my heavy coat in two years.
2.) Jobs- unless you work in health care administration, there is a distinct lack of jobs in NE Ohio.

And now that I've lived here for almost two years, I'm so happy I'm here. I love, love, love living in the Lowcountry. The only thing I don't like is when people give me grief for saying "pop" instead of "soda." Haha. Just kidding!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM

One of my friends showed me a picture online of an astronaut on the side of the road. The caption pointed out that more astronauts are from Ohio than anywhere else. It then asks what is so horrible about the state that makes people want to flee the planet...

Funny, most of the Ohioans I know are teachers. Most of the people I met there last year vacation here. It's crazy.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah68 View Post
"pop" instead of "soda."

It's called coke.

Coca-Cola is Coke
Pepsi is Coke
Sprite is Coke
Dr. Pepper is Coke
Root Beer is Coke
Gingerale is Coke
Cream Soda is Coke
Orange soda is Coke
Grape soda is gross but technically qualifies as Coke I suppose
Strawberry soda is worse than grape (seriously, where do they come up with this stuff) but is still Coke.
Mt Dew? You guessed it! Coke.

The only time you need make a distinction is when there is a choice among brands and then you need to be specific. Otherwise, just saying "hand me a coke" will be perfectly fine.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post

Grape soda is gross but technically qualifies as Coke I suppose
You sir, are no gentleman!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,340 times
Ohioans have invaded the Lowcountry... and some folks wish they would leave | Features | Charleston City Paper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area