U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM

74 posts, read 48,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I know an English Major whom is building houses for Habitat for Humanity...
I'm an English major and a System Architect for a software company here in Charleston. Granted I did start as a computer programmer at another company while I was a sophomore in college still majoring in computer science, but it at least shows that your future is not solely determined by your degree.

Ignore all the negative comments here. If you're willing to do technical writing (not all English majors are), there are plenty of software companies in the area to check out, such as BenefitFocus, Blackbaud, People Matter, SPARC, Modus 21, and SAIC to name just a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM

39 posts, read 118,549 times
Paulisme, I have read that technical writers can make a very good salary. Is that true?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,162,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenides View Post
Paulisme, I have read that technical writers can make a very good salary. Is that true?
Sure, but like anything there are a variety of jobs that fit under technical writing. You can write user manuals for a particular software/application or work on a project implementation team and write Functional/Technical Design Specifications, Quality Work Instructions, etc.

If it's something you are interested in pursuing, I would definitely look at getting some technical skillsets under your belt to give yourself a leg up. Normally, being an English major alone wouldn't be enough to land these type of positions.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Sure, but like anything there are a variety of jobs that fit under technical writing. You can write user manuals for a particular software/application or work on a project implementation team and write Functional/Technical Design Specifications, Quality Work Instructions, etc.

If it's something you are interested in pursuing, I would definitely look at getting some technical skillsets under your belt to give yourself a leg up. Normally, being an English major alone wouldn't be enough to land these type of positions.
Do you have any advice on anything in particular?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 PM

74 posts, read 48,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenides View Post
It depends on what you mean by a "good salary," since that's pretty subjective. I'd suggest you check out http://www.glassdor.com and take a look at what the average salary is for entry-level technical writers.

As for the extra skills you need for the "technical" aspect of technical writing, I would suggest learning the Microsoft Office products like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as becoming familiar with some markup languages like HTML and XML as the content you write will likely be published in one of those formats if you're writing help documents for a software application.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Thank you so much for all of the great info! I'll remember this and get someone to help me learn this stuff when I go back to school for the fall semester.

One last thing, Paul. I take it the technical writing field is limited inside of itself, but are there growth possibilities where these jobs can lead to other, high-paying jobs? I'm just trying to get a feel for things so that I know what I'm getting into.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,248,435 times
I know this seems obvious, but when you start going on interviews remember to dress appropriately. My husband has been interviewing candidates for an Ops Manager position at work this week, and the candidates that come in are rediculous. He was amazed at the guy who came in wearing a button up and jeans, until the very next guy came in wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and pointy toe snake skin boots. He says this habit of dressing down for an interview is something he sees regularly.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 AM

I plan to interview sharply-dressed for any position. It never hurts to be reminded, however. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM

146 posts, read 103,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I know this seems obvious, but when you start going on interviews remember to dress appropriately. My husband has been interviewing candidates for an Ops Manager position at work this week, and the candidates that come in are rediculous. He was amazed at the guy who came in wearing a button up and jeans, until the very next guy came in wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and pointy toe snake skin boots. He says this habit of dressing down for an interview is something he sees regularly.
When I was working as a receptionist, this guy came in for an interview holding a coffee mug! Not a disposable coffee cup (not to say that's any better), but a ceramic mug that obviously came from his kitchen lol.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Would it be a fair and accurate assumption to say that he didn't get the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area