U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM

870 posts, read 1,707,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
The air is so still.
That might be the worst part of it.

Temps in the low 100s Heat indices a few degrees higher than that and no wind whatsoever.

Beastie (Ronin) can't take it. We didn't even get a quarter into our evening route before he gave me the look that said "DONE!" I felt bad he was panting so much. I tried to get him home fast without pushing him to run or anything. He came inside. Got water and was okay. Then he wanted to play so we did for a few minutes. Now he's on the couch in front of the fan again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,253,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
They're animals. They will adapt so long as they are not neglected.
The problem is when you have suddenly hot days like today. Just like humans sometimes they need time to acclimate, if they even can. It's really a matter of knowing your own dog. Just like people, some dogs can handle more weather extremes than others. Also, many breeds have had their natural ability to survive outdoors bred right out of them unfortunately. Our great danes would never survive for long outside in this heat because their hearts have been weakened over decades (centuries) of breeding for size. Boar hunting? Forget it!
I had a HEAVY coated malamute that would fare much better in these temperatures.

You're absolutely right that common sense really needs to come into play. Too bad that's a rare commodity in a lot of dog owners.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,786,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I had a HEAVY coated malamute that would fare much better in these temperatures.
I'm mostly worried about my chow/lab mix because of his heavy coat. He seems like he'd be more suited for cold weather climates. Why would a heavy coat on a malamute fare better in these temperatures?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:17 AM

9,038 posts, read 14,282,265 times
I don't envy you all in Charleston on days like today. Right now at 9AM weather.com says it is 86 degrees there but feels like 94 with your humidity levels at 67% whereas here in the upstate it is 84 which feels like 86 and we have 55% humidity. It is much more tolerable for both pets AND HUMANS here.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,775,097 times
Very wise and appreciated information in this thread ...

... but don't forget about the humans!

Too many people go about their usual routine in 100-degree heat thinking they will be fine .. they'll just drink another bottle of water.

I had to chew out a co-worker, who 'technically' is my superior, because HE wasn't drinking enough and he wasn't really setting time aside for re-hydration and cooling off. He's a hard charger and a good friend but I really had to make it an issue before he would listen ... because he is one of those who thinks 'I'll just drink this bottle before lunch and I'll be good.'

If you've ever seen someone struck with heat exhaustion or heat stroke you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't ... trust me ... you don't ever want it to happen to you or see it happen to your friend/loved one.

Heat Exhaustion: Symptoms, Warning Signs, and Treatment Information on MedicineNet.com

Heat Stroke Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment by MedicineNet.com

Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,253,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I'm mostly worried about my chow/lab mix because of his heavy coat. He seems like he'd be more suited for cold weather climates. Why would a heavy coat on a malamute fare better in these temperatures?
The coat did nothing to make the heat easier for him, it's just that individual dog was more hardy than my great danes are. In direct sun that coat might keep the heat from baking his skin, but I can't imagine leaving a dog in direct sun in this heat anyway. I know that on hot days if I pushed my fingers down into his fur the undercoat felt cool, so maybe his coat was actually keeping him cooler..
Of course, with your dog you're also dealing with the dark coat that just soaks in the sunlight! When my black dane goes out in the sun her hair heats up to the point where she is hot to the touch. She's a basker, and I have to make her come inside. Even my little sun lover doesn't want to go out in this.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM

870 posts, read 1,707,308 times
Don't put too much stock in a dark coat absorbing the heat. Ronin is very light blonde and on a ten minute walk till he pees earlier he threw up from the heat, even with his short summer coat.

Fresh cold water when we got home seemed to settle him down and he has been napping in front of a fan ever since with no other problems. I gave him treats as usual (after he kept water down for half an hour) and haven't seen them again so I'm not concerned that he's overheated just that the walk was a bit much for him. I wouldn't have taken him, but he was asking for it. He went to the door and was acting all "antsy" so I had to get him out. He did both his usual transactions and then started to retch...small amount of yellow fizzy stuff. Ew...Anyway, he's fine now. No problems after we got home. Just please be careful and be aware of what your pets can and can't handle.

I know we live in the south but F this weather. My neighbors had a yard sale this morning and I went over to talk to them for a few minutes. I was sitting in the shade in front of a fan and my t-shirt was soaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area