U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 2,678,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I only said I was embarrassed to be lumped in with you. I never said anything about being fine with anything else. I don't even know how you managed to make such a huge leap without a big red cape and an s on your chest.

Still embarrassed.
Well Roxanneself, I have no idea why you would be embarrassed by someone who thinks people who are offended at being called Sir or M'am are stupid in the sense that it's a really stupid thing to get offended about since it is a title of respect and not meant in a disrespectful way.

If someone gets offended by me saying, "Have a nice day!" is that smart? Or stupid? I think it's stupid.

If someone gets offended by me saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes, is that smart? Or stupid? I think it's stupid.

So be as embarrassed as you want. I still think it's stupid.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,612,357 times
Quote:
Well said. I'm a conservative, but I am embarrassed by the idea that I may be lumped into the same category as people who feel comfortable belittling others for their beliefs. We aren't all like this.

Respect is NOT a "belief" but a character trait, an endearing and much needed one at that. If anyone has a problem that they are shown respect via "ma'am & sir", then they are just a big part of a much larger problem in today's society. Further if parents do not encourage this and instill in their children the trait of respect in both the positive and negative form then shame on them.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,260,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Sorry. Those are the stupid feminist Liberal northerners.
I find it absolutely hilarious when anyone who would refer to people like this can then lecture in any way shape or form about rudeness or respect. I would rather my children never say the word sir than to hear them parrot this kind of ugliness. I'm not embarrassed by the idea that calling people sir is polite, but I do hate it when people who spout this stuff are considered to be representative of a group I identify myself with.

Chrome, you missed the point of my post. The beliefs I was referring to are people who are liberals, not people who think sir or ma'am should be used as an honorific.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,678,195 times
Quote:
I find it absolutely hilarious when anyone who would refer to people like this can then lecture in any way shape or form about rudeness or respect. I would rather my children never say the word sir than to hear them parrot this kind of ugliness. I'm not embarrassed by the idea that calling people sir is polite, but I do hate it when people who spout this stuff are considered to be representative of a group I identify myself with.

Chrome, you missed the point of my post. The beliefs I was referring to are people who are liberals, not people who think sir or ma'am should be used as an honorific.
I think it would be the very RARE conservative who would find the use of sir or m'am offensive. Since NY is a blue state and I am surrounded by liberals, I can tell you that MOSTLY liberals/feminists find such an appellation offensive.

So if you identify with liberals and feminists, well have fun. And yes, I think liberals and feminists, especially self-righteous, pompous, elitist, NY liberals and feminists are STUPID and that's a big part of why I want to move away from here!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM

23,143 posts, read 12,309,358 times
I don't think you will like it here -- every where I go all I see is those hippie, vegan Moms doing yoga. It's really something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area