U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM

211 posts, read 265,281 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone move from the north to the south if they don't like the culture? I mean, honestly...we're from the north and considering moving down south because we LIKE it. I'm so jealous of people who got to grow up in the south lol. We're very conservative, and frankly, we have a lot of trouble fitting in up here.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM

1,923 posts, read 3,009,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
This is mostly what I have a problem with. Yes, Northerners dress sharp, are always on time, and don't bother with trivial stupidities. Southerners, on the other hand, are slow, sloppy, unsophisticated, and eager to trash on you for any reason. Don't forget racist, redneck, gossiping, backstabbing, snobby liars.

Southerners are the most stereotyped regional population as a whole, and often held to an unfair standard. Stereotypes indicate that Northerners can be brusque, so when you go up there and experience it, it seems normal. However, Southerners (and this is partly brought on by themselves) are supposed to be sickeningly hospitable, so when you visit (or move) down here, southerners are expected to worship the ground you walk on in an effort to be hospitable. Then, when you don't get the treatment you think you deserve, it's all about how terrible we all are.

Well, you may hate being classified as a gangsta for your fitted NY cap, characterized as a bad driver because of your license plates, and so on. Well, we hate being told that we're annoying, lying, judgmental, stupid and inbred. Don't be a hypocrite.
^^^^ ^^^^

To the OP, why do you live here if you don't like it, and why join City Data just to bash the people that live here? I am from the north and I can tell you what I don't like about northerners. Many of them are rude, obnoxious, have the "me, me, me" attitude, and think they are better than others because of the "toys" they have accumulated. Do you think that perhaps you have shown some of this attitude to the southerners here and they have been put off? I know I certainly am put off by the attitude when I see it here and I am from the north! If you treat people with respect here and don't complain how things are not like where you came from, you wouldn't get closed out.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 39,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady katie View Post
Why would anyone move from the north to the south if they don't like the culture? I mean, honestly...we're from the north and considering moving down south because we LIKE it. I'm so jealous of people who got to grow up in the south lol. We're very conservative, and frankly, we have a lot of trouble fitting in up here.
EXACTLY! I love the south and the culture it's just when you move down here you don't feel welcomed as soon as they hear you're from the "north" they put walls up, no matter how conservative you are.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
^^^^ ^^^^

To the OP, why do you live here if you don't like it, and why join City Data just to bash the people that live here? I am from the north and I can tell you what I don't like about northerners. Many of them are rude, obnoxious, have the "me, me, me" attitude, and think they are better than others because of the "toys" they have accumulated. Do you think that perhaps you have shown some of this attitude to the southerners here and they have been put off? I know I certainly am put off by the attitude when I see it here and I am from the north! If you treat people with respect here and don't complain how things are not like where you came from, you wouldn't get closed out.
I'm only letting it out here because I have been so nice to them but as soon as they hear I'm from the north they close me off, don't even give me the benefit of the doubt and just stamp me as rude and obnoxious. And actually about bragging about the new "toys" they accumulated explains mount pleasant to a T.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:04 PM

202 posts, read 299,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabeachlove View Post
I think YOU GUYS need to look at the date of when the civil war ended. We are all people, why does it matter where we're from?! And what I mean is when your in the north everyone talks so highly of how nice southern people are and when you're down the south all they do is trash the north. Doesn't seem right...
Your attitude absolutely exemplifies why you're having a hard time down here.

Oh, and it's The War for Southern Independence down here.

3,256 posts, read 4,367,093 times
Quote:
EXACTLY! I love the south and the culture it's just when you move down here you don't feel welcomed as soon as they hear you're from the "north" they put walls up, no matter how conservative you are.
I think this might be a You problem.

1,923 posts, read 3,009,970 times
Quote:
I'm only letting it out here because I have been so nice to them but as soon as they hear I'm from the north they close me off, don't even give me the benefit of the doubt and just stamp me as rude and obnoxious. And actually about bragging about the new "toys" they accumulated explains mount pleasant to a T.
Move back north. Problem solved.

870 posts, read 1,707,719 times
Quote:
I think YOU GUYS need to look at the date of when the civil war ended. We are all people, why does it matter where we're from?! And what I mean is when your in the north everyone talks so highly of how nice southern people are and when you're down the south all they do is trash the north. Doesn't seem right...
YOU created a thread called Southern vs Northern people and WE need to figure out when the Civil War ended?

I don't trash the North. I like it there. My dad and stepmother live in a very nice part of Pennsylvania. The worst thing about where they live is that it's less than 2 hours from New Jersey.

I wouldn't live there though. Not because I have something against it but because I prefer Charleston. I was born here. I grew up. I feel comforted by the smell of pluff mud. When I hear the song "One Particular Harbor" I think about sitting on the wall at the Battery when I was in high school looking out on Charleston Harbor. Dad's house is nice. Grandpa's house in Orange, CA is nice. My cousins on my mothers side have nice homes on Long Island and my ex girlfriends family have nice homes in Ohio.

I might travel the world and see what's out there to see. I might even spend a few years here and there for different jobs. Charleston is, was and always will be my home and I will always come back here.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,623,294 times
EDIT: On second thought, I think I'll just leave the southern boards as I should I done in the first place.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM

I wasn't trying to "bash" the south...just simply searching for an answer. This was taken WAY to far. I thought we could all atleast be mature, some of yous are way to defensive to have a conversation with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area