U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,970,723 times

Advertisements

Having skipped from the first page to the last page, bypassing what is sure to be a lot of hot air in the middle, I have to restate what Chromekitty said. "Seriously?"

If folks from the north think the opinions of southerners is any different than their own, they are sadly mistaken. I firmly believe we all have similar opinions of each other. If you think the worse of the opposite group, there are those that feel the same toward you also. If you are indifferent toward the other group, there are those that feel the same toward you as well.

I certainly feel the OP, and a few responders (that I read on the first page), are extremely paranoid. Must suck to live their lives.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I'm a native NYer. I don't even go to the south because I don't appreciate being called a Yankee, don't like having people see my NY license plate and automatically assuming I'm a bad person, hate people seeing my NY Yankees fitted hat and thinking I'm some sort of gangster, hate the annoying southern accent, and hate having people talk behind my back to others after they've acted completely genuine to me.
Sorry to break the news to you, but this happens everywhere - especially in a metropolis the size of NYC.

BTW: We call you 'yankees' up here in Canada as well.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Sorry to break the news to you, but this happens everywhere - especially in a metropolis the size of NYC.

BTW: We call you 'yankees' up here in Canada as well.
Ya, but yall do it with Love, Aye....

Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM

23,167 posts, read 12,315,685 times
Yeah Canadians call Americans Yankees. "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy......"

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM

870 posts, read 1,713,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah Canadians call Americans Yankees. "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy......"
It's common all over the world but mostly in the Commonwealth. The Brits started it, I think.

I had the opportunity to travel a lot as a kid and imagine my surprise when I, a native of Charleston, was referred to as a "yank" by some Brit somewhere.

My opinion and use of Yankee has never been derogatory in the least. My mother is from New York and my Step Mother is from 2 and a half hours south of it.

My definition of "damn Yankee" has also evolved. It used to be a Yankee who wouldn't go home. Now it's a Yankee who won't shut up about home and constantly complains about the south but insists on staying here anyway in an apparent attempt to make everyone's life miserable.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM

I have NEVER met any transplant who has complained miserably about life in Charleston. Sure we all miss something from where we use to live. That happens if you have had the privilege of enjoying life in a few different communities or countries. I still miss the Bermuda beaches. Does that mean I'm miserable on a beach in Charleston...no but the beaches in Bermuda are spectacular.

If i do meet someone who is unhappy here in Charleston, I may feel some sympathy for them. Isn't it great to enjoy where you live and said if you aren't happy with your situation. Consider yourself fortunate and offer them a good ole 'Bless your heart I'm sorry you are so unhappy here." (dripping in that southern sarcasm -- uh I mean charm)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,097,568 times
Moneill, you have met someone, he goes by Bullfrog on here. He has stated many times that the only reason he lives here is to keep Mrs. Bullfrog happy by being close to her family...

Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,132,628 times
I skimmed the thread, but will add my 2 cents.

I am from florida, and my family is from the midwest, just outside of Chicago, so a major metropolitan area, not the middle of nowhere. I grew up in a melting pot of cultures, mexicans, puerto ricans(and New Yoricans), cubans, other midwest people, southerners, and northerners.

My in-laws are also originally from long island.

The #1 big thing I have noticed about northerners and alot of times new yorkers. They are very "self centered" They seem to not consider others as much. I really noticed this while traveling to south Florida. South Florida has alot of north east transplants. I have flown from Chicago, to Atlanta, to Ft. Lauderdale numerous times. It was interesting how flying to Atlanta, the flight would be ok, nothing special. Then flying from Atlanta to South Florida you had lots of rude, inconsiderate people on the plane that usually just made you feel annoyed during the flight.

They "EXPECT" someone to appease to them. While a southern seems to be much more laid back.

A good example is my mother in law, I have sat in a restaraunt and I have seen her get all bent out of shape about a crying toddler or something on the other side of a restaraunt. She would literally say, someone needs to shut that kid up.

Now here is the funny part, now she has a grandkid, my kid. If he is getting kind of loud and obnoxious int he restaraunt, I will take the kid outside, you know change of scenery, etc... She will then say, he is a kid he cries, people will get used to it. Just a "world revolves around me" attitude.

Its not just my mother in law, just an example I can think of, I just get this from alot of people from the north. This comes into cutting people off on the road, in a crowded mall rushing in front of you etc...

But you guys can meet one of the most annoying types of people in the world... a New Yorican. For the record this is just a generalization, this isn't everyone. Every group has generalizations, that how we make them a group.

I am starting to learn more and more about west coast people though. I guess I can be categorized as a judegemental mutt. In the end I realize people are people, we all want to live a happy life and provide for our families.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM

3,180 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Quote:
The #1 big thing I have noticed about northerners and alot of times new yorkers. They are very "self centered"
Now that is simply outrageous!

Btw, how do you like my new dress?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Moneill, you have met someone, he goes by Bullfrog on here. He has stated many times that the only reason he lives here is to keep Mrs. Bullfrog happy by being close to her family...
But he doesn't strike me as miserable..........is he?

And he honestly hasn't told us what is wrong here -- just that it isn't his first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area