Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The #1 big thing I have noticed about northerners and alot of times new yorkers. They are very "self centered" They seem to not consider others as much.

Its not just my mother in law, just an example I can think of, I just get this from alot of people from the north. This comes into cutting people off on the road, in a crowded mall rushing in front of you etc...
You totally nailed it! These are the exact reasons I moved out of the northeast, besides the long, dark, and cold winters. I just couldn't take the self centered and obnoxious people anymore. Not everyone in the north is like that, but there are definitely way more people up there that are like that and it gives the people that are not like that a bad name.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Now that is simply outrageous!

Btw, how do you like my new dress?
Well now to be typical male chauvinistic pig on the web, I do have to say.... yes, yes I would like to see you in your new dress, preferably in provocative poses.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
So then it is the New Yorkers, New Englanders, and Jersey Shore folks that native Southerners mostly take issue with, not down to earth small town folk from the Midwest who actually share their lifestyle and values in a lot of ways. I'm not surprised.

I'm not even a Southerner, but whenever I read a thread on this forum that goes something like this, "The pizza in Charleston sucks, where can I go to find New York style pizza?" or, "Why doesn't Charleston have any decent sports bars? Where can I find the NY Giants games on big screen?", I stifle the urge to say, "Why, in New York, Silly!"

My bad....

Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I can truely understand how "like" people like to live in the same areas. Think about it...If you want your neighborhood calm, quiet, and peaceful would you want the homes by you to fill up with city people?
Now, city people please don't take offense, this is just an example.

Sometimes there is retirement communities, kid friendly communities, and different culture communities. People who wish to live by others who have a "likeness" to them.

Shareing the lifestye and values is important for most. But, doesn't everyone look for New York style Pizza? LOL

It is always fun to find your old hometown or well loved sports teams on TV. I'd be looking for the Giants myself as they actually played in New Jersey. All of the pizza and sports talk has nothing to do with my comfort zone.

I find the Southern people full of life and charm. It amazes me how they will stop and talk for such a long time with a stranger. I can say when I have asked a question to someone in New York sometimes I have gotten just a dead stare.
Its happened more then once. I can see why they have pride here, and I can see why they want to keep it as such.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM

469 posts, read 890,880 times
Regarding a northerner talking about the way it was back home - sometimes it's tone as well.

Like how many times have you heard or how many threads have you all seen on here or any other of the southern states forums like this

Where can I find some decent pizza, everything around here is just awful? (not who makes a good Chicago style pizza or who makes a good New York style pizza)?

or how about this one

Why can I find Paczki around here - don't people know that it's the time of year for Paczki? (Well - probably not - there aren't a whole lot of southern bred people who have enough Polish in them to know what Paczki is without googling it.)

or this

You call that a Cheesesteak? Seriously - you don't know what a REAL Cheesesteak tastes like.

or this

What is a grit? You expect me to eat that? Give me cream of wheat like we had back home any day.

or this

You mean schools are closed because of 4 inches of snow? Back home the roads would have been plowed before the snow hit the ground. You guys just don't know how to do it here (yea, we MIGHT get snow ONCE a year, so no, we don't have 50 plows on stand-by)

and this

Isn't there a decent bakery anywhere that can make some bread that is somewhat edible? Back home we had a bakery with fresh bread on every corner.

and closely related

You call THIS a bagel? If you do, then you don't know what you're talking about.

Those are just a few examples of things that irritate me (and I tried to rep southbel for that post - very eloquent and well said)

Old 07-07-2012, 05:03 PM

469 posts, read 890,880 times
And on a side note, I was reading just the first few threads on the first page and saw numerous other things I could have quoted word for word on the whole "tone" issue - or just downright rude and offensive.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:25 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Well now to be typical male chauvinistic pig on the web, I do have to say.... yes, yes I would like to see you in your new dress, preferably in provocative poses.
Now see, when us northerners present our self-absorbed "tone" the right way, it evokes a very positive response! LOL! Of course, any feminists on this board might not appreciate my humor, but too bad.

I don't ever plan on comparing life in Summerville to what we are leaving in NY once down there. I mean, I recently compared the Folly Beach 4th of July blow out to my town because it sounded a lot like here. But to move to a new area and whine about what's not here that was there is kinda rude, imho.

I imagine it's a lot like when we were teenagers at camp and there was always one girl who talked all the time about her boyfriend back home ....who none of us knew ..... and none of us cared about ..... and all we wanted her to do was shut her big mouth about David or Joey or whoever.

Last edited by ObserverNY; 07-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: apparently my abbreviation for an expression was considered a curse ... LOL

Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Quote:
I can say when I have asked a question to someone in New York sometimes I have gotten just a dead stare.
Now there's a difference between a dead stare and a blank stare. The dead stare usually has some sort of evil arrogance behind it, like "How dare you bother me with a question you annoying little gnat" and you should move quickly away from anyone who gives you one of those. Whereas, the blank stare could be the result of just basic stupidity, of which there is a great abundance in NY.

We did not encounter a single rude or nasty person when we were in SC, not in the coffee shops, on the road, camp ground, beach, restaurants, food store, anywhere. It was an absolute pleasure.

I would say as a whole, NYers are rude, obnoxious, entitled and Liberal. How my husband and I managed to raise two polite, Conservative kids surrounded by well-to-do uppity Libs is beyond me. My daughter never bugged me for a Coach bag or designer anything, even though every other girl in her school was always decked to the nines. I tried to teach them the value of a dollar, while most of the college grads in my area have moved back home with mommy and daddy.

Not EVERY northerner is a jerk ..... but our pizza IS the best.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Now there's a difference between a dead stare and a blank stare. The dead stare usually has some sort of evil arrogance behind it, like "How dare you bother me with a question you annoying little gnat" and you should move quickly away from anyone who gives you one of those. Whereas, the blank stare could be the result of just basic stupidity, of which there is a great abundance in NY.

We did not encounter a single rude or nasty person when we were in SC, not in the coffee shops, on the road, camp ground, beach, restaurants, food store, anywhere. It was an absolute pleasure.

I would say as a whole, NYers are rude, obnoxious, entitled and Liberal. How my husband and I managed to raise two polite, Conservative kids surrounded by well-to-do uppity Libs is beyond me. My daughter never bugged me for a Coach bag or designer anything, even though every other girl in her school was always decked to the nines. I tried to teach them the value of a dollar, while most of the college grads in my area have moved back home with mommy and daddy.

We have some dear friends who have just moved to the Greater Charlotte area from LI, NY.....they parrot everything you have mentioned. They are so thrilled to be making their paths here in the South. They are lovely and charming people, other than the accent and hand talking one would never know they were from *up there*.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:

You have to hurry up and move here! Wait until you see the difference living here. I am so disgusted with people in the north when I go visit now and can't wait to get back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area