U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
 
6 posts, read 39,638 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Ok so I was just wondering from the "southern" people ("northern") can post too but, it's prominetly the "southern" people. Ok so what do you hold against "northern" people? And I mean the typical answers are, "drive to fast.." and sterotypical stuff like that. but actually that's not true. I mean northern people never complain about southern people but in charleston it seems like they kind of close you out if they find out your from the north. I mean its just a different state!!! What happened to "southern hospitality" in charleston? We are all people.

 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
 
1,924 posts, read 3,017,574 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabeachlove View Post
in charleston it seems like they kind of close you out if they find out your from the north.
I have yet to run into this. I have found that the southerners are very welcoming.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
 
6 posts, read 39,638 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I have yet to run into this. I have found that the southerners are very welcoming.
I've run into it on facebook and twitter, the southern people posting rude things about northern people and also they complain about tourists, if it weren't for tourists the economy of this state wouldn't be what it is today. When I came to Charleston to visit before moving I noticed the southern hospitality, but as soon as you move here it dissapears....you're known as a "Yankee". I came to the conclusion southern hospitality is just a myth...well in charleston.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,664,574 times
Reputation: 6603
Oh great, this discussion again.

Let me sum it up for you.



Southern people think northern people are crazy for wanting to get to places on time, always looking sharp and fresh, and for not wanting to engage in pointless chit chat with strangers.

Northern people think southern people are crazy for driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the left lane, not reading GQ, and for talking like hillbilly cowboys.

Of course, this is the stereotypical northern/southern engagement.

I'm a native NYer. I don't even go to the south because I don't appreciate being called a Yankee, don't like having people see my NY license plate and automatically assuming I'm a bad person, hate people seeing my NY Yankees fitted hat and thinking I'm some sort of gangster, hate the annoying southern accent, and hate having people talk behind my back to others after they've acted completely genuine to me.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM
 
202 posts, read 300,312 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabeachlove View Post
Ok so I was just wondering from the "southern" people ("northern") can post too but, it's prominetly the "southern" people. Ok so what do you hold against "northern" people? And I mean the typical answers are, "drive to fast.." and sterotypical stuff like that. but actually that's not true. I mean northern people never complain about southern people but in charleston it seems like they kind of close you out if they find out your from the north. I mean its just a different state!!! What happened to "southern hospitality" in charleston? We are all people.
This question again?! Look, generalizations and stereotypes are, well, generalizations and stereotypes. People from every state gossip, are rude, drive too fast, talk too loud, etc.

With that being said, most Southerners are welcoming to transplants, as long as they do not come in and complain about how things aren't like home or try to change things. Unfortunately, you get the vocal transplants often ruin it for the ones who come in and respect the culture.

With this being said, Southerners are generally pretty friendly as long as you respect their home. Southerners definitely like tourists because they boost the economy. However, they have their right to be wary of those who stay (i.e. damn yankees, to some). Most Southerners are traditional and enjoy their way of life. Transplants, who want to change things, dilute our very proud culture.

Personally, I went to a private college in the South, that had had a decent amount of northern students. One of my best friends, whom I still talk to daily, was from the northeast. He still lives in the South and absolutely loves it. However, there were those who came down and complained about sweet tea and biscuits being overrated or the lack of good bagel shops. There were those who would complain about the conservative culture and Southern accents. I never gave those people the time of day, because they never deserved it. Occasionally, if I happen to be involved in the conversation, I'd tell them to go back home.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Northeast Columbia
183 posts, read 304,515 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Southern people think northern people are crazy for wanting to get to places on time, always looking sharp and fresh, and for not wanting to engage in pointless chit chat with strangers.

Northern people think southern people are crazy for driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the left lane, not reading GQ, and for talking like hillbilly cowboys.

Of course, this is the stereotypical northern/southern engagement.

I'm a native NYer. I don't even go to the south because I don't appreciate being called a Yankee, don't like having people see my NY license plate and automatically assuming I'm a bad person, hate people seeing my NY Yankees fitted hat and thinking I'm some sort of gangster, hate the annoying southern accent, and hate having people talk behind my back to others after they've acted completely genuine to me.
This is mostly what I have a problem with. Yes, Northerners dress sharp, are always on time, and don't bother with trivial stupidities. Southerners, on the other hand, are slow, sloppy, unsophisticated, and eager to trash on you for any reason. Don't forget racist, redneck, gossiping, backstabbing, snobby liars.

Southerners are the most stereotyped regional population as a whole, and often held to an unfair standard. Stereotypes indicate that Northerners can be brusque, so when you go up there and experience it, it seems normal. However, Southerners (and this is partly brought on by themselves) are supposed to be sickeningly hospitable, so when you visit (or move) down here, southerners are expected to worship the ground you walk on in an effort to be hospitable. Then, when you don't get the treatment you think you deserve, it's all about how terrible we all are.

Well, you may hate being classified as a gangsta for your fitted NY cap, characterized as a bad driver because of your license plates, and so on. Well, we hate being told that we're annoying, lying, judgmental, stupid and inbred. Don't be a hypocrite.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
 
3,256 posts, read 4,379,125 times
Reputation: 669
Nevermind... lost on deaf ears

Last edited by Robynn; 07-06-2012 at 12:05 PM..
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM
 
202 posts, read 300,312 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
This is mostly what I have a problem with. Yes, Northerners dress sharp, are always on time, and don't bother with trivial stupidities. Southerners, on the other hand, are slow, sloppy, unsophisticated, and eager to trash on you for any reason. Don't forget racist, redneck, gossiping, backstabbing, snobby liars.

Southerners are the most stereotyped regional population as a whole, and often held to an unfair standard. Stereotypes indicate that Northerners can be brusque, so when you go up there and experience it, it seems normal. However, Southerners (and this is partly brought on by themselves) are supposed to be sickeningly hospitable, so when you visit (or move) down here, southerners are expected to worship the ground you walk on in an effort to be hospitable. Then, when you don't get the treatment you think you deserve, it's all about how terrible we all are.

Well, you may hate being classified as a gangsta for your fitted NY cap, characterized as a bad driver because of your license plates, and so on. Well, we hate being told that we're annoying, lying, judgmental, stupid and inbred. Don't be a hypocrite.
Thank you. I'm not sure how one couldn't see all of the hypocrisy in this post.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Goose Creek, SC
870 posts, read 1,711,621 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabeachlove View Post
I mean northern people never complain about southern people
FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stepmother is from Pennsylvania and is, let's say, less than fond of anything north of Florida, south of Maryland and east of the Mississippi.

Her mom lives in Florida so she drives through the south frequently and has often said that, if she could do so without making the trip painfully long, she would skip South Carolina altogether.

A LOT of yankees I know complain bitterly about the south and the people who live in it. You wouldn't believe how often I hear "Back in (wherever they are from) this would never happen." My response has always been "Well bless your heart, it sounds wonderful there. Will you be going back anytime soon?" I always say it with a big smile and very politely in the best old Charleston accent I can muster at the time.
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
 
6 posts, read 39,638 times
Reputation: 15
I think YOU GUYS need to look at the date of when the civil war ended. We are all people, why does it matter where we're from?! And what I mean is when your in the north everyone talks so highly of how nice southern people are and when you're down the south all they do is trash the north. Doesn't seem right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top