U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:11 PM

207 posts, read 368,609 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I wanted to solicit some opinions... (also posted this on Charlotte forum)
My husband was just offered a teaching position in Charleston making the same as he is here in Concord, outside of Charlotte. I've had an interview during which they stated the could match my salary (I am a PT). Then he was just offered a position in South Charlotte.

So would you go or stay? We've been to Charleston but just briefly, and have never lived on south side of Charlotte.

About us: 45 and 39, no kids at home, have tried to have one more child but no luck so far. We've been in Concord for one year but don't have any strong friendships or community ties here (unfortunately). Have one or two casual friends but that's all. Most people at meetup groups seem younger or older than us (we don't have a problem with that, but sometimes other people do).

As a PT and school teacher, don't make a ton of money...so know that we would be living 30-45 minutes out of Charleston since it's so expensive at the coast....so will not be on the beach.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Charleston is beautiful, but am concerned about the ?higher cost of living, jobs in the future (as we are all set for this year) and trying to buy an affordable house (150K) there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM

29,777 posts, read 27,214,589 times
Well there are relatively inexpensive parts of Charleston proper, like West Ashley. It really just depends on if you want to live in a larger metro or smaller metro, with everything that both entails.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,789,506 times
We moved from just south of Charlotte but my husband worked in Charlotte. We lived there 7 years and moved to Charleston a year ago. We like change and do have children. We are from Coastal Maine originally so we prefer the coast so my preference is the Charleston area.

It is such a personal preference decision. We live 20-30 minutes inland and it is affordable.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:41 PM

207 posts, read 368,609 times
It's good to hear from someone who has made the move and is happy. We are originally from Rhode Island so I miss being closer to the coast as well. I'm glad to hear it's affordable as well...I think the rent prices scared us, as we rent a very nice house 1600 sq ft with 2 car garage and fenced yard in very safe area for 950.00..but the housing prices seem better than the rental prices..we may just rent at a complex or townhome for 6 months and then start looking to buy a house.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 AM

870 posts, read 1,426,407 times
We just moved here from New England (and I lived in RI for many summers). We looked a lot in the Charlotte area before (eventually) settling here in Charleston. We love it here. Reminds me a lot of New England with it's charm. I can't live ON the water but I need to live near it as well. My thought is that you are going to love it here.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,590,304 times
I am a Charlotte native, and live on the outskirts of Charlotte currently. Hands down, no questions asked CHARLESTON.
And one day, we hope to live there.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM

208 posts, read 482,438 times
We live near Charlotte and my son lives on James Island. We have thought about moving to the Charleston area but there are a couple of things about Charleston that aren't so great.

Parking is a BIG issue. You really can't go anywhere without having to hunt for a place to park. We do know of some places that others visiting might not know about but it's still a pain sometimes. But maybe if you lived in Charleston you wouldn't be going downtown as much as when visiting.

The other issue would be the flood plain. I'm not sure what insurance costs would be.

We are lucky that we can drive down to Charleston anytime we want. We still think about living there but the traffic is much worse than where we live now.

On the other hand there is a lot to do in the Charleston area

Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,371,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Parking is a BIG issue. You really can't go anywhere without having to hunt for a place to park. We do know of some places that others visiting might not know about but it's still a pain sometimes. But maybe if you lived in Charleston you wouldn't be going downtown as much as when visiting.

The other issue would be the flood plain. I'm not sure what insurance costs would be.

We are lucky that we can drive down to Charleston anytime we want. We still think about living there but the traffic is much worse than where we live now.
Side note: I've never been to Charlotte.

We don't go downtown very often because of the parking ...

The flood insurance varies depending on what zone you're in... ours is less than 400/yr

Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,789,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
We just moved here from New England (and I lived in RI for many summers). We looked a lot in the Charlotte area before (eventually) settling here in Charleston. We love it here. Reminds me a lot of New England with it's charm. I can't live ON the water but I need to live near it as well. My thought is that you are going to love it here.
I went from Maine, to Charlotte, to Charleston......I realized my soul needs the coast....

Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM

22,896 posts, read 12,214,029 times
joys of having a parking pass downtown <G>........worth it!!! There is all kinds of inexpensive parking around the city because I sometimes can't use the pass because someone else is using it. Mind you --I've lived in the greater Atlanta area and the greater Toronto area where parking for four hours can cost you $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area