U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,774,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Thats not true. The cops are told in their interview that the car is part of their "compensation package". It is in fact part of their pay, and are told it's worth 3-5,000 a year in value.

Not having been there in the room (just as YOU weren't there) I can't say for certain what is told in an interview to fill a police officer position ... but I'd be willing to bet that the phrasing is more along the lines of :

'... you MAY get to drive a squad car home which would be like you saving X-amount of dollars a year on gas ...'

as opposed to

'... you will also have squad car privileges granted as part of your compensation noted here on line XXXX of your contract...'

Otherwise we'd see EVERY squad car in the greater Charleston metro area parked at private residences as opposed to seeing them in the parking lots around police stations.

A verbal supposition is not the same as a contractual pay compensation package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,252,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
If your chain of command allowed you to draw BAH without requiring proof of a lease then they are enabling fraud (for which they can be prosecuted under UCMJ). In order to be approved your chain of command should require you to show them a lease.

You pulled one over and got away with it.

Nothing more. Grats.

And if the Air Force is requiring airmen to live off post because of a lack of housing (an issue effecting a lot of military installations across the board) then that is a different angle and would still require proof of lease.

Thanks for clearing up how the AFB chain of command enables airmen to defraud the U.S. taxpayer.
In 17 years of Army and Marine Corps life, 14 of them off post in private housing, AND 8 different moves we were only asked for a lease once. They wanted a lease then because we were in a city that had a COLA adjustment that raised our monthly BAH. In my experience, it was that fact that you were not living in military quarters that qualified you for BAH, not the fact that you had proven that you were living off post.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,690,950 times
Quote:
If your chain of command allowed you to draw BAH without requiring proof of a lease then they are enabling fraud (for which they can be prosecuted under UCMJ). In order to be approved your chain of command should require you to show them a lease.

You pulled one over and got away with it.
This is just untrue, and it's insulting to boot. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I took part in any fraudulent activities. What I described to you was the process. No one is pulling anything over on you or the government or the tax payer. BAH is given as an allowance to those who have been approved to live in non-government quarters. If that bothers you then fine. Write your congressman. But falsely accusing people of fraud because you don't agree with that lawful process is silly.

Show some class.

Last edited by lizardspock; 07-18-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,252,838 times
I think where the confusion starts is that different bases and commanders have different requirements. It may very well be that in Bulldog's experience a lease was required. We have shown that isn't always the case. It's up to Bulldog to decide if he believes that his experience is the only possible experience that is legitimate.
It isn't fraud if the commanders aren't requiring the documents just because others do. A lot of military regs are universal across the country, but a lot of discretion is left to the individual post commanders.

(And yes, I am aware that I blur my terminology ie: posts, bases etc.. That comes from my husband switching services and it's a habit I can't break.)

Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,103,115 times
What's with the military talk? I never was in the military, but with the military, you can't quite. Can't you go to jail if you do? Thwy probably get the same allowance as it would cost the military to house them, except it helps everyone locally.

As for police using vehicles for personal use. I am fine with it. I believe the fat should be trimmed from all government agencies, but I like cop cars for personal use. I feel better seeing a detective car and some state troopers from my front door. I feel its better to have the presence of police out there vs all the cars parked in a massive parking lot.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,690,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
What's with the military talk? I never was in the military, but with the military, you can't quite. Can't you go to jail if you do? Thwy probably get the same allowance as it would cost the military to house them, except it helps everyone locally.

As for police using vehicles for personal use. I am fine with it. I believe the fat should be trimmed from all government agencies, but I like cop cars for personal use. I feel better seeing a detective car and some state troopers from my front door. I feel its better to have the presence of police out there vs all the cars parked in a massive parking lot.

Started sorta, kinda on topic. Then strayed off pretty badly. My apologies.

I agree with you on the cop car issue. I think it is a public safety thing. Anytime you see a police car most people automatically slow down. Also, it could potentially be a deterrent to would-be thieves and burglars. But I agree with a limitation as to how many miles they are authorized off duty. If they work in Mt. P and live in Mt. P, then that's no problem. If they work in Mt. P and they live in Summerville, I think that's wasteful.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 AM

3,383 posts, read 7,103,115 times
I don't mind, I live in summerville and happy Mt. Pleasant people pay for a cop to be in my neck of the woods all the hours beyond the 40-60 he works a week.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,690,516 times
One thing that some have to learn and accept, even when on the smelly end of the stick, is that certain jobs only pay so much money regardless of what one thinks themselves to be worth. Servers do not make $50K a year with benefits regardless of their education or self worth.

Look around the greater Charleston area. Cops make $30K to $35K to start, car or not. Dangerous or not that is what these jobs are worth. Do it oneself or not (which I would not do), many are lined up for these jobs.

The answer is usually not get more for the same job there or elsewhere, but to better ones self for higher income jobs. Do not join the police force and end up being a 50 year old patrol person. Climb in rank. Sargeants in Charleston make $55K per year base salary and that is before overtime.

Whatever the market will bear.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,774,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
This is just untrue, and it's insulting to boot. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I took part in any fraudulent activities. What I described to you was the process. No one is pulling anything over on you or the government or the tax payer. BAH is given as an allowance to those who have been approved to live in non-government quarters. If that bothers you then fine. Write your congressman. But falsely accusing people of fraud because you don't agree with that lawful process is silly.

Show some class.
The fact that your chain of command SHOULD have required proof of lease or rent or mortgage is ABSOLUTELY true.

If the government and/or military allows people just to walk up to someone and say, 'Hey .. give me some money because I have this bill to pay' without proof to justify use of the program it is ABSOLUTELY enabling and even ENCOURAGING fraudulent activities.

You may not like the soap .. but if you put in your mouth then you are just going to have to learn to like the taste.

There has been ZERO false accusations by me.

You don't know me. Don't presume I'm classless because you don't comprehend the post .. or worse .. because you partook.

I didn't say they DO require it ... I said they SHOULD require it. In one line I used the word WOULD instead of SHOULD .. that was my mistake.

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 07-20-2012 at 04:59 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 AM

152 posts, read 277,911 times
Quote:
Not having been there in the room (just as YOU weren't there) I can't say for certain what is told in an interview to fill a police officer position ... but I'd be willing to bet that the phrasing is more along the lines of :

'... you MAY get to drive a squad car home which would be like you saving X-amount of dollars a year on gas ...'

as opposed to

'... you will also have squad car privileges granted as part of your compensation noted here on line XXXX of your contract...'

Otherwise we'd see EVERY squad car in the greater Charleston metro area parked at private residences as opposed to seeing them in the parking lots around police stations.

A verbal supposition is not the same as a contractual pay compensation package.
It is worded as a promised "perk" to make up for compensation. But it is not on a contract. SC is non-union. There are no contracts.

The reason you see other PD cars at stations is....there are spare cars. A PD of 300 officers may have 350 cars. In case some break down.

And, since we in love our precious tax dollars so much, we dont pay PD's enough to have full time special units. So, regular patrol officers double as swat team, detectives, crime scene, etc, etc, etc. Most are "on call" for something. So if you see a guy at Northwoods Mall in a Summerville PD car, dont forget, he's likely "on call" at any moment.

But, as Brian Hicks article in the P&C this morning says, criminals dont care about jurisdiction. Crime is crime everywhere. And a PD car, whether it's North Chuck, Mt P, Sville, or Downtown, has a cop with a gun and a RADIO in it at all times. And criminals know this. So when a N Char cop drives in Mt P, or a Mt P cop drives in Sville, thats one more cop in a cop car with a radio driving around observing.

Now, there will be a few less cop cars around. Seems the only people happy about that are the extreme "small govt" crowd......and criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area