U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 1,691,873 times
Reputation: 1688

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Cops start at 35k soldiers and salors start at 19k.......

The BAQ, basic allowance for quarters is not given to all service members only if you are married or asigned to a base where there insuficant housing on base. It is based on the area that the servicemember is stationed. The story of six living in a 2 bedroom is bull squeeze since you are required to turn in a copy of your signed lease to get BAQ, what you are describing would be fraud....
Not sure where that info comes from. I can tell you from first hand experience that BAH (basic allowance for housing) is paid to all service members who don't live in government quarters regardless of what their off base accomodations are. Lease or no lease, you get paid the same. You can have 10 roommates or none. There's nothing in the regs that says you only get what you spend. I knew many a Senior Airman that lived at home with mommy and daddy and collected, completely lawfully, full BAH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,695,339 times
Reputation: 3716
One of the things military service offers is room and board. Quite often it is cheaper for them to say we will pay you X$ to eat and live off base. It is not a perk. Analogies between military and civilian life rarely work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant, SC
1,541 posts, read 2,253,539 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Not sure where that info comes from. I can tell you from first hand experience that BAH (basic allowance for housing) is paid to all service members who don't live in government quarters regardless of what their off base accomodations are. Lease or no lease, you get paid the same. You can have 10 roommates or none. There's nothing in the regs that says you only get what you spend. I knew many a Senior Airman that lived at home with mommy and daddy and collected, completely lawfully, full BAH.
That's partially true. You don't have to be married to collect BAH, but you also can't just "decide" that you don't want to live on base anymore. The requirements to live off base vary from posting to posting, depending on the availability of on base housing AND the discretion of the post commander. Some posts require a certain rank to have been achieved, some require you to have a dependant who lives with you at least part time, and some require that there are no suitable on base quarters available. I'm sure other posts have different requirements I'm not aware of. Air bases are notorious for having less housing available than single airmen, which is why you see so many airmen living out on the economy.
You CAN collect more than you are paying, because it is a basic allowance (just like the name applies) NOT the military "paying the rent" as the OP stated. If you are in an area where the cost of living is so high that you are eligible for a COLA then you may be required to show proof of your zip code by providing a lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Windsor Hill, North Charleston, SC
1,075 posts, read 1,775,509 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
That's partially true. You don't have to be married to collect BAH, but you also can't just "decide" that you don't want to live on base anymore. The requirements to live off base vary from posting to posting, depending on the availability of on base housing AND the discretion of the post commander. Some posts require a certain rank to have been achieved, some require you to have a dependant who lives with you at least part time, and some require that there are no suitable on base quarters available. I'm sure other posts have different requirements I'm not aware of. Air bases are notorious for having less housing available than single airmen, which is why you see so many airmen living out on the economy.
You CAN collect more than you are paying, because it is a basic allowance (just like the name applies) NOT the military "paying the rent" as the OP stated. If you are in an area where the cost of living is so high that you are eligible for a COLA then you may be required to show proof of your zip code by providing a lease.
./agree

Not only does the post commander have a say, your immediate chain of command has a say.

If they don't think you should be living off post then you don't. Period. I have FIRST HAND experience with that.

Not only that, but if you draw BAQ then you are expected to be paying rent somewhere and my FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE required me to show a written and signed lease with MY NAME ON IT.

So not sure where you are getting YOUR information from mrSpock. And last but not least ... it is NOT paid to ALL members living off post. If you CHOSE not to live in provided barracks that are available then you don't get BAQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
2,893 posts, read 3,043,440 times
Reputation: 2044
Default relax everybody and face reality

Everybody,
Is this about a PD losing take home cars?
Does everybody know what is happening in the U.S. Economy today in 2012???
Many people have lost their jobs, have had layoffs, been furloughed, foreclosures (which are going to increase very soon in 2012), and lost homes. The U.S. is in a bad situation everywhere. I know the Federal Government furloughed employees this year and there was no cost of living raise this year.
I don't understand all the fuss. Many PD's have lost the benefit of take home cars because of the economy. Mt. Pleasant is a very small town, and this is happening all over the U.S. Please look outside into the rest of the U.S. and World! This is just one resulting of the town having to cut their budget and again this is a small town. There have been massive cuts in big cities if you research it. What is the point of this thread? I suggest you watch the documentary Inside Job or read Predator Nation by Charles Ferguson to see what is going on in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
2,525 posts, read 7,179,428 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Everybody,
Is this about a PD losing take home cars?
Does everybody know what is happening in the U.S. Economy today in 2012???
Many people have lost their jobs, have had layoffs, been furloughed, foreclosures (which are going to increase very soon in 2012), and lost homes. The U.S. is in a bad situation everywhere. I know the Federal Government furloughed employees this year and there was no cost of living raise this year.
I don't understand all the fuss. Many PD's have lost the benefit of take home cars because of the economy. Mt. Pleasant is a very small town, and this is happening all over the U.S. Please look outside into the rest of the U.S. and World! This is just one resulting of the town having to cut their budget and again this is a small town. There have been massive cuts in big cities if you research it. What is the point of this thread? I suggest you watch the documentary Inside Job or read Predator Nation by Charles Ferguson to see what is going on in the U.S.
This. Even CPD has had its take home cars policy adjusted/removed. Officers in many cases are being now even -required- to pay their own gas when they go over a certain allotment each month (we can discuss at length the intelligence of requiring officers to pay for their own gas, and the ramifications it may have on their ability/willingness to show up at a crime scene on the opposite side of their team if they're strapped that month...but that's another thread entirely). In short, yes, officers are underpaid locally. They always have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: S.C.
780 posts, read 1,338,849 times
Reputation: 228
I live in Summerville. In my neck of the woods I have seen CPD cars parked at homes and there used to be a Mt. P police car parked at one of the homes. Where I moved from if you had a take home car, you had to at least live in the county in which you served. It is about 35 miles from my house to Mt. P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
 
3,140 posts, read 4,952,316 times
Reputation: 1239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
1- Mt P cops can not afford to live in Mt P. Billy Swails feels they dont deserve that kind of salary.
That is quite the lie/misconception. Plenty of MPPD officers live in MtP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 15,061,137 times
Reputation: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Not sure where that info comes from. I can tell you from first hand experience that BAH (basic allowance for housing) is paid to all service members who don't live in government quarters regardless of what their off base accomodations are. Lease or no lease, you get paid the same. You can have 10 roommates or none. There's nothing in the regs that says you only get what you spend. I knew many a Senior Airman that lived at home with mommy and daddy and collected, completely lawfully, full BAH.
They changed what it was called back in '98 and changed the way it was calculated but it is still not for everyone:

"The intent of BAH is to provide uniformed service members accurate and equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets, and is payable when government quarters are not provided."
Basic Allowance for Housing Overview

"If you are single, you can expect to spend the few few years of your military service residing on-base in the dormitory, or "barracks." Policies concerning single military members living off-base at government expense vary from service to service, and even from base to base, depending on the occupancy rate of the barracks/dormitories on the particular base."
What the Recruiter Never Told You, Part 6 -- Housing, Barracks, and Housing Allowance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
 
152 posts, read 277,985 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
No, a room mate's brother, who is a cop.

Hey GCreek1997....Just curious.... Why are you going to bat, so to speak, for your roommate's brother who is the cop? Why isn't he/she (the cop) on this board complaining about his/her situation?? I was just wondering...
Because my dad was a cop, and grandfather was in the Navy. I'm extremely defensive of our military, cops and firemen.

And why isn't he? Dont know. BUt he said the town basically sent a letter to all employees threatening to fire them if they speak out. True or not....I've heard they dont like employees to speak up (like many companies would do I suppose).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top