Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 AM

116 posts, read 212,448 times

Advertisements

We're planning on vacationing in Charleston before the end of the month. I'm trying to figure out where to stay and what to do. We don't want to pay more than $100/night for a hotel. We have two teenage daughters, but they're not "wild" kids. They'd enjoy the beach, ghost walks, being with family. Anyone have any ideas of where to stay and fun things to do? I thought Folly Beach might be nice for a day. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,612 times
IOP is probably more family friendly...though I'm no expert

There's a Comfort Suites right down the road

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 AM

229 posts, read 371,540 times
We were just there for vacation a couple of weeks ago and two of our favorite things were the Fort Sumter tour (at $17 per person, it's a great deal... plus you get a nice boat ride!) and a culinary tour that was done through Bulldog Tours. That one is a little pricier but also totally worth it. We also loved the horse and carriage tour through downtown. We got to see Rainbow Row and the battery and our tour-guide did a really great job keeping us entertained. Have fun!!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
Sullivan's Island is the most family friendly beach, the problem you will run into will be finding hotels for under $100.00, even at $100.00, you will end up paying more along the lines of $120.00 with all of the added taxes and fees...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,012 times
I have found that Bulldog Tours has the best ghost tours. You can get 50% off Bulldog Ghost tours and Magnolia Plantation here not sure why the links show handgun academy, but it's not):

SweetJack: 51% Off Elite Handgun Academy ($140 value for $69)
SweetJack: 51% Off Elite Handgun Academy ($140 value for $69)

Some other things to do is a harbor tour either on the Carolina Belle or a sailboat (Schooner Pride), visit Morris Island with Adventure Harbor Tours, take a carriage ride, go to Bulls Island with Coastal Expeditions, rent kayaks for the day at Shem Creek, go shopping at Town Centre, just walk around in Charleston, go to the battery, spend a day at Patriot's Point, or go to Fort Moultrie. There are a lot of things to do around here. You can pick up some brochures anywhere around here and see what interests you and your family.

Charleston, SC Walking Tours including Ghost Walk and Culinary Tours - Bulldog Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours of Historic Charleston, SC, Boat Tours
Charleston Sailing Tours, Sunset Sails, Sightseeing, Harbor Tours, The Schooner Pride, South Carolina (SC)
Adventure Harbor Tours Charleston SC, Morris Island tours
Bulls Island - Bulls Island Ferry
Nature Adventures Outfitters
Mt. Pleasant Towne Centre :: 1600 Palmetto Grande Drive, Mount Pleasant, SC. 29464 :: (843) 216-9900
Battery Park, Charleston South Carolina
Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum - Charleston Harbor, SC
Fort Moultrie - Fort Sumter National Monument

Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 AM

229 posts, read 371,540 times
I can tell you that when we did our culinary tour through Bulldog Tours, they gave us a gift bag with coupons good for $5 off each adult for one of the other tours that they offer. So, if you decide to do one, get the coupon, then schedule your next

Old 07-06-2012, 04:41 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Check out Sleep Inn in Mount Pleasant. Good quality and value for the dollar.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:38 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Sullivan's Island is the most family friendly beach, the problem you will run into will be finding hotels for under $100.00, even at $100.00, you will end up paying more along the lines of $120.00 with all of the added taxes and fees...
I don't think I've never even seen a hotel/motel on Sullivan's island... is there one?? (just curious) I think there's only two in the main area in IOP that I know of, and one in Wild Dunes.

But I agree.. finding a place for under $100 in the high season of summer will be very hard to find. Even off season in winter we pay that much to rent a one bedroom condo at Seaside thru vrbo.com.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
You can probably find something on Savannah highway in West Ashley (western Charleston on the other side of the Ashley River, north of James Island and Folly Beach) which won't be right where you'll want to be spending most of your time... but you'll only be a 5 to 15 min drive from where you'll want to be and you'll save $$ on your accommodations.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I don't think I've never even seen a hotel/motel on Sullivan's island... is there one?? (just curious) I think there's only two in the main area in IOP that I know of, and one in Wild Dunes.

But I agree.. finding a place for under $100 in the high season of summer will be very hard to find. Even off season in winter we pay that much to rent a one bedroom condo at Seaside thru vrbo.com.
No not on Sullivan's Island, but they are not that far away from the island in MtP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area