U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Just the title of the OP's thread is just a tad insulting...."Are ALL people rude in Charleston?" Come on! Talk about blanket statements.
Blanket statements are what makes the interwebs fun. It's because they're always true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,878,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Blanket statements are what makes the interwebs fun. It's because they're always true.
Gotcha!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM

180 posts, read 381,647 times
How come it's gotta be the "yankees" fault? Now thats a blanket statement. I am from Boston originally , I have never blown my horn in traffic except when there are rude people trying to merge into the lanes of traffic with out even using a turn signal and forcing their way into the lane of traffic. Therefore your blanket that it's the "yankees" fault . Oh and we dont use horns. We just roll down the window and raise our left arm and extend the international sign of aggrivation. Thats how the "Yankees" roll. Bless your heart for thinking so highly of us northerners ma'am. Oh and dont get me going on how some people cannot drive when there is a morotcycle near them. Thats a different thread all together.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM

202 posts, read 299,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
How come it's gotta be the "yankees" fault?
Did you not get that memo before you moved down here? It's always the Yankees' fault.

Quote:
Now thats a blanket statement. I am from Boston originally , I have never blown my horn in traffic except when there are rude people trying to merge into the lanes of traffic with out even using a turn signal and forcing their way into the lane of traffic. Therefore your blanket that it's the "yankees" fault . Oh and we dont use horns. We just roll down the window and raise our left arm and extend the international sign of aggrivation. Thats how the "Yankees" roll.
I'm confused. Do you use horns or not? Either way, that's not how most Southerners roll.

Quote:
Bless your heart for thinking so highly of us northerners ma'am.
I always laugh when Yankees overdo the the whole bless your heart thing. You can't force it. It's just natural. You'll get the hang of it one day.

Anyway, enough with the picking. In case you haven't noticed, there are very few native Charlestonians on this board. Most of the people blaming the Yankees are actually transplants themselves.

Last edited by SonofDixie; 07-31-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,366,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
In case you haven't noticed, there are very few native Charlestonians on this board. Most of the people accusing Yankees are actually transplants themselves.
Transplants <> Yankees (only sometimes)

Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM

202 posts, read 299,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Transplants <> Yankees (only sometimes)
I'm aware, but in the minds of quite a few Southerners, a non-Southern transplant is still called and considered a Yankee.

Regardless, my point is that a god deal of y'all discussing Yankee driving aren't originally from Charleston. Nothing wrong with that. Based on his/her post, I just think BostonMedic assumed it was a bunch of native Charlestonians that were discussing Yankee driving.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM

638 posts, read 1,408,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
.. I have never blown my horn in traffic except when there are rude people trying to merge into the lanes of traffic with out even using a turn signal and forcing their way into the lane of traffic. ..
I'm confused because merging lanes I've seen aren't generally required to use blinkers.

And from what I learned, proper etiquette with incoming merging traffic is for you to pull into the left lane to give them room if you can. Or, if forced to stay in the right lane, again, give them room to "merge". Aren't we are suppose to share the lane with mergers??

So.. I don't get the problem here.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM

1,923 posts, read 3,009,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
I'm confused because merging lanes I've seen aren't generally required to use blinkers.

And from what I learned, proper etiquette with incoming merging traffic is for you to pull into the left lane to give them room if you can. Or, if forced to stay in the right lane, again, give them room to "merge". Aren't we are suppose to share the lane with mergers??

So.. I don't get the problem here.
I think he/she means just trying to get into another lane, not necessarily a merging lane.

Getting into another lane is easy here. Put on your blinker and someone will let you in. And like you said, other drivers here will stay back a little to let you in if you are going on the highway or a bridge. This is not what a lot of drivers do in the north. There are some good drivers up there, but there are a lot more that are not considerate. Up there many drivers will ride the bumper of the car in front of them so you can't get in the lane. When getting on the highway you just pray there is no one right there when you get on, because many won't move or let you merge on, even if they see you are coming. The merge lanes to get on highways are much shorter than they are here. I don't know how many times I would be driving to my brother's in in Providence when one certain road merges with the highway. It was impossible to get in the right lane to be able to get off my exit. I would use my blinker and and try to get in the right lane, but the drivers would speed up to get closer to the car in front of them. I always missed the exit. I find that when I go north now I have to get back into defensive driving mode.

BostonMedic, you were probably referring to my post. I am from MA also. Yes, they do use horns in MA, and they use horns quite often. Maybe they didn't in Boston, but they certainly did in central MA.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM

244 posts, read 444,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Getting into another lane is easy here. Put on your blinker and someone will let you in. And like you said, other drivers here will stay back a little to let you in if you are going on the highway or a bridge. This is not what a lot of drivers do in the north. There are some good drivers up there, but there are a lot more that are not considerate. Up there many drivers will ride the bumper of the car in front of them so you can't get in the lane. When getting on the highway you just pray there is no one right there when you get on, because many won't move or let you merge on, even if they see you are coming. The merge lanes to get on highways are much shorter than they are here. I don't know how many times I would be driving to my brother's in in Providence when one certain road merges with the highway. It was impossible to get in the right lane to be able to get off my exit. I would use my blinker and and try to get in the right lane, but the drivers would speed up to get closer to the car in front of them. I always missed the exit. I find that when I go north now I have to get back into defensive driving mode.
I agree. I am from Rhode Island and hated the aggressive driving. My husband and I often laugh when we pull up to a 4-way stop sign here, and think about how they could NEVER work up north. Every driver would try to get the 'jump' on all the others. There would be 4-way smash ups all day long!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,707,551 times
All way stops sometimes work here...not always but sometimes. Must be yankees around when they don't (sorry I can't resist).

I've literally had it where I pull up to a stop and there are already 3 other cars stopped. Car #1 goes then #2 and #3 then it's my turn as I start to go, I notice car #5's (this is the car that was BEHIND car #1) driver looking shocked/annoyed as the car comes to an abrupt stop when they see me going in turn.

I had a minor fender bender today in Georgetown. Two lanes on 17 S. Left lane can turn left to go to Charleston or continue straight to get on 17-A/521 and right lane can turn right to go to Conway or continue straight for 17-A/521.

I was in the left lane and was going straight since it's the quickest route from there to my house.

As I am going through the intersection, a guy in the right lane decides to make a left turn

He was in a Mustang and I was in my work van (E-150) which is apparently built like a tank. He needs a new drivers side door, my damage will buff out.

He got out and said he thought there was a green left turn arrow, I pointed out that it was for my lane only. He realized what he did and was very friendly about the whole thing.

The funny part was when he was on the phone with his wife, it was her car. His tone was apologetic but he knew that she was going to rip him apart when he got home. Poor guy. I honestly couldn't get angry with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area