Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM

10,085 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

Largest earthquake in months recorded near Summerville - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Earthquake was early morning Tuesday, July 31.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
I was sitting right here at that time last night and didn't feel it...

Old 08-02-2012, 03:43 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
2.8 = someone ate a bad batch of Mexican food.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
2.8 = someone ate a bad batch of Mexican food.
Mexcrement?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Or a shart, maybe.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,017 times
I've lived in Summerville for over 6 years and never felt one. Now, when I lived outside of San Francisco that was another story!!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
I lived in Wescott a few years back and felt one before work one morning.

At the risk of divulging TMI, my "pajamas" are standard guy pajamas. Hint: I wear them all day long.

Anyway, the house shook and I jumped out of bed at 7ish. I grabbed a nearby pair of shorts and a mismatched t-shirt and ran outside to see what was going on. My neighbors ran out as well.

One of them looked at me and asked "did you feel that?"

Do y'all have any idea how hard it was to fight the urge to reply with "no, I just enjoy bolting out the front door in clothes that don't match at odd hours?"

Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post

One of them looked at me and asked "did you feel that?"

Do y'all have any idea how hard it was to fight the urge to reply with "no, I just enjoy bolting out the front door in clothes that don't match at odd hours?"
I can't even begin to imagine how you were able to resist.

We had a good one under us once on Fort Lewis, WA. when we were there. They are fun on a military base where so many people come from regions where earthquakes are unheard of. I counted no less than a half dozen big tough soldiers running out of their house in panic mode, dressed about how you are describing.
Having grown up in Northern and Southern California if I don't hear glass breaking an earthquake doesn't even register much.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
The only one I have felt in nearly 20 years was one that happened while I was at Walmart in Summerville about a year ago, felt like a truck hitting a loading dock a little too hard...

Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I can't even begin to imagine how you were able to resist.

We had a good one under us once on Fort Lewis, WA. when we were there. They are fun on a military base where so many people come from regions where earthquakes are unheard of. I counted no less than a half dozen big tough soldiers running out of their house in panic mode, dressed about how you are describing.
Having grown up in Northern and Southern California if I don't hear glass breaking an earthquake doesn't even register much.
My dad grew up in Los Angeles. My Mom grew up in Queens.

Dad has a thing where his leg twitches at random. It either isn't severe enough or Dad doesn't believe in naming every little thing the body does enough to label it as RLS. Anyway, in the 70's, shortly after they were married they were living in LA, Mom woke up to the bed shaking one morning. She nudged Dad and said "John, stop shaking your leg." Dad's response? "I'm not, it's an earthquake, now go back to sleep."

I mentioned that to Dad about a year ago and he told me about a guy he was in boot camp with at Ft Huachuca in 71 or 72 (I think). Apparently, this guy was from somewhere that the ground doesn't move on a regular basis. There was an earthquake one night and he woke up freaking out "Oh my God what the hell is that?!?" Dad's response? "It's an earthquake, now go back to sleep."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area