U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,185,331 times

Advertisements

Are there any local shops that deal in used computers? I'm looking for a place where the employees will have more knowledge than a pawn shop or craigslist since I'm likely to have a lot of questions.

I want to buy my son a computer, but I don't want to buy new. Most of the fun for him is in upgrading and making system changes, so a new computer would be wasted on him. (I can't tell you how many times he has changed the operating system on his current desktop.) His old Dell has been Frankensteined about as far as it can go and it's time to start fresh. I've been a Mac user for so long I don't know the first thing about buying a PC that is suitable for playing with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 PM

870 posts, read 1,656,623 times
Get him a well funded gifty card to Tiger Direct. He'll love you forever and ever.

I don't know of anywhere local that sells used computers other than pawn shops to be honest.

On the other hand, "frankensteined as much as possible" is a relative term. You can ALWAYS gut a box and start over from scratch (new motherboard, power supply, drives, etc etc) but for all that you may as well just get a new computer because, you basically are.

It's kind of like taking the beat up body of an old car, putting in a brand new engine and interior and not touching the exterior at all.

Stay away from Compuzone. My mom took a laptop there because her screen went bad (I hate working on laptops-I have fat fingers and tend to break them worse). I told her she needed a new screen they told her she needed a new inverter. She listened to them and a week went by before they even ordered the part. They put it in and they were wrong. They changed the screen and it worked. They charged her for both.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,286,407 times
If you want to "physically" work on the machine (larger driver, faster CPU, change the motherborad, change power supplies, etc.) then a desktop is the only way to go. I have one with a physically 15 year old cabinet but all within in or attached to are less then 5 years old. The actual name on my cabinet means nothing.

If you just want to change "operating system/software, nothing mechnical) then a laptop will be just fine.

Desktops are upgradable for both hardware and software. Laptops more so for just software.

Apple fits none of the above.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 14,702,964 times
There is one 'Geek' shop in Summerville it is right next to McAllister's Deli and The Marble Slab, that place is great for real hands on stuff....

If he is pretty accomplished already do Tiger or NewEgg....

Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,185,331 times
Thanks guys. He definitely needs a desktop, I wasn't even considering a laptop. Probably the only thing salvageable in his tower now is maybe the fan and the memory sticks. He doesn't think he knows enough to actually start from the ground up.

I wish it was just the programs he liked playing with. Then I'd give him my IMac and then go shop for myself.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Rox, if you want DM me and I can help with getting him started, I build PCs on the side....

Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 PM

870 posts, read 1,656,623 times
Another option would be to go to TigerDirect or a similar site and get him a barebones kit.

It comes with the essentials. The box, the motherboard, the memory etc but gives you the freedom to choose the other stuff.

The best advice I can give is to take OTC or someone else (if I had time, I'd offer but I'm in grad school and classes just started up again) on his offer. Let him walk Jr. through choosing the parts that suit his needs and budget and then show him how to turn a pile of parts into a working computer that actually boots and everything (used to take me about 20 minutes not including OS install time but I haven't done it in a few years).

When things wear out or go obsolete, he can go back to Obi Wan...I mean OleTomCat Kenobi and learn how to replace things. Eventually, he'll be able to do it himself. Take it from someone who knows, there's nothing more gratifying than the first time you say "Holy (deleted), it worked!"

Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 PM

469 posts, read 718,340 times
If you're up for a roadtrip, there's a TigerDirect Outlet off I-85 on the way to Atlanta. He could talk to one of the people who work there and pick and choose the components he wants for a custom build. We stop by it almost every time we go to my MIL's house (in Panama City, FL). We almost never buy anything, but it's a fun stop.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM

2,516 posts, read 7,036,451 times
I build PC's as a hobby. Just threw together a monster gaming rig for myself. I'd recommend shopping through TigerDirect and Newegg.com. Send him first to Tomshardware.com to look at their most recent round of system builds. They built one very close to my recent system for around $1000 that overclocks like a champ and is extremely future-savvy.

Best place to start? Core i5-3570k for the CPU. Everything else after that will fall into place.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
I build PC's as a hobby. Just threw together a monster gaming rig for myself. I'd recommend shopping through TigerDirect and Newegg.com. Send him first to Tomshardware.com to look at their most recent round of system builds. They built one very close to my recent system for around $1000 that overclocks like a champ and is extremely future-savvy.

Best place to start? Core i5-3570k for the CPU. Everything else after that will fall into place.
Yep, I live the I-5s my wife is using one and my work laptop has one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area