Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM

870 posts, read 1,986,997 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Summerville. I live in Goose Creek.

Yes there are good hospitals.

In Summerville, there is the Summerville Medical Center. It's part of the Trident Health System but don't let that sway you from going there-seriously. It can cover most of your medical needs. For the more "involved" needs, Trident Hospital is down the road. I would strongly suggest you stay away from this place if your more involved needs are serious. I've never known of anyone who checked in for something serious and left in anything other than a hearse.

Roper St. Francis is also nearby and is good from what I understand though my personal experience is limited.

MUSC is a terrible place to work (personal experience) but the wealthiest person on the planet would have difficulty finding better general health care anywhere.

Cane Bay is in Berkeley County and is closest to Trident Hospital. It has its own schools and I think they tend to do fairly well, though as Tom said, lack of historical data limits that assertion to speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 10,823 times
I love Ireland! Just a little too cold too often for me.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theok2 View Post
I love Ireland! Just a little too cold too often for me.
Agreed!

We went when I was 10. It was August. We were there for two weeks. We barely saw the sun and wore heavy sweaters or more the whole time!

Beautiful country though.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Agreed!

We went when I was 10. It was August. We were there for two weeks. We barely saw the sun and wore heavy sweaters or more the whole time!

Beautiful country though.
Did you feel like you were at home when you were there?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Did you feel like you were at home when you were there?
I'm from Charleston. I was wearing a heavy sweater in August. No.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 AM

49 posts, read 80,617 times
Mrsco, my husband and I expatted from Northern Ireland last year. Definitely make sure your DH gets the job first. There are IT jobs here, but they do depend on the type of IT. As well, a number of them are defense related, which may involve getting a US government security clearance.

I'd highly recommend that you check out the BritishExpats.com USA forums for information about living in the US, immigration, health insurance, taxation, etc. I know your husband is a US citizen, but there is a lot of useful information. You'll also need to ensure that you're covered under your DH's health insurance from the day the plane lands - otherwise you could have problems with insurance coverage for any pre-existing health conditions.

Summerville is great for families - the schools are decent and there's plenty to do. Houses are way cheap here compared to Ireland, and are great value for money!

The weather may end up being an issue for you, though. "Winter" weather here averages between 15-17, and summer averages around 33, and there is high humidity, which makes it feel even worse. Last summer we were having highs of 41!! My poor DH was ready to keel over. Air conditioning is a requirement!

Oh, and enjoy a last fish & chip supper before you get on the plane. The closest we've found to a decent chippie is a pub in the state capital, Columbia (100 miles away)!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Lethe

Which pub in Columbia?

Thanks

Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM

49 posts, read 80,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Lethe

Which pub in Columbia?

Thanks
Accufitgolf, it's the British Bulldog near the Columbiana Mall. The chips aren't quite right (they're more steak fries) but the fish (haddock) is excellent! I've tried a few other things on the menu, and it was all lovely. The owners are from Liverpool (and are huge Liverpool FC fans!). We discovered it last year and we go anytime we're in Columbia. They also do a full english with real bacon!

If anyone knows of anywhere closer that has actual fish & chips (i.e. cod or haddock in crispy batter (not a Guinness batter *shudder*), and actual chips without the skins(!)), I'd be grateful. (I don't understand why anyone would try to serve fish & chips with skins on the chips... I mean, a chippie in NI would keel over in embarrassment!)

Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Lethe, have you tried the dog and duck?

May also want to check out Madra Rua both in N. Charleston and Summerville.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 AM

9 posts, read 11,505 times
Default Ireland

You will likely love it here if you make the move and IT jobs are pretty abundant here. Dor II schools are some of the best rated schools in the area. Summerville is a great area for family life.

The Charleston area has lots of things to do. Homes are priced lower in Summerville than much of the surrounding areas closer to Charleston like Mount Pleasant, West Ashley and James Island. A lot of jobs are near the Summerville, North Charleston junction so Summerville should be a good choice for commute if you design your job search accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area