Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM

19 posts, read 44,819 times

Advertisements

Hi I been doing some research on Charleston, SC. We'll be moving there 2013 and have heard some bad and some good about Charleston. I've heard that Charleston is a high crime area. I've never been to Charleston myself so I would like to get some opinion. I need to know what areas are safe to live at with decent public schools (elementary). I've been told, the public school system aren't so great there. Please give me all the details about Charleston besides housing and school.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Charleston is amazing. It is truly a place that incorporates everything we were looking for when we moved here in the late Spring (we are from NE..moved to Daniel Island). We have 2 children and are very happy with the public schools so far (actually, my kids have always been in private until this year). You can find any housing pretty much in your price point but, like anywhere, it may mean you are in a great area or not so great area. Crime...well it's all relative. Crime is everywhere. Yes, I grew up in a suburb with 25,000 people in CT. The biggest crime there was toilet papering someone's house. You've got 125,000 residents in the city of Charleston itself so again, crime is relative. I lived in downtown Boston for 10 years..I don't hear of any more or less crime here..but I am sure there are "pockets" that I'd want to stay away from. There is so much to do here. The charm, the festivals, the restaurants, the history, kids activities..I've never seen so much for kids to do. The weather is amazing. I was worried about the summer months but they weren't bad at all. Where are you moving from? Where in Charleston are you moving to? Real estate price point? It's so beautiful here!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Actually we won't be moving until summer 2013 but I've already started my research. My husband's in the U.S. Coast Guard so that's why we're relocating. I've been told to stay from Charleston and look into areas like Summerville and Mount Pleasant. We're actually in NC right now. Price range can be anywhere from 1000-1800 for at least a 2 bedroom.

As far as crimes, I understand that it can pretty much happen everywhere and anywhere but what areas should I stay away from that is known to have high crime rates?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:36 PM

229 posts, read 371,498 times
We just moved to Hanahan and really love it so far. Everything is extremely convenient, it's relatively quiet, and the schools are wonderful. I'm really impressed with the elementary school, and I don't know anything first hand about the middle or high schools but I've only heard great things. We got a wonderful 3-bedroom 2-bathroom rental house with almost 2k square feet with a formal dining room, a bonus room and a huge backyard for less than 1000/month. Either cost of living is terrific in Hanahan or we got ridiculously lucky.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
For 1~1.2K/month you can rent a 3br/2ba home in a decent neighborhood in Summerville, you would pay about $1.5~1.8K for the same thing in Mt Pleasant. West Ashley and James Island would be some where between the two. Schools overall are better in DD2, Summerville, while MtP has some really good ones too, they are in one of the worse counties in the area for schools, CCSD (Charleston County School District). North Charleston does have some gems if you are into looking for them, most of the place I would live in N. Charleston are in Dorchester County, DD2 or Berkeley county, BCSD.

Any questions drop me a line or ask here...

Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalineky View Post
We just moved to Hanahan and really love it so far. Everything is extremely convenient, it's relatively quiet, and the schools are wonderful. I'm really impressed with the elementary school, and I don't know anything first hand about the middle or high schools but I've only heard great things. We got a wonderful 3-bedroom 2-bathroom rental house with almost 2k square feet with a formal dining room, a bonus room and a huge backyard for less than 1000/month. Either cost of living is terrific in Hanahan or we got ridiculously lucky.
That's awesome! Where did you look to find the place? I used hotpads.com to see what's available and that's about it.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM

229 posts, read 371,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie_wife View Post
That's awesome! Where did you look to find the place? I used hotpads.com to see what's available and that's about it.
The owner of the company that my husband is working for helped us find it. I know that's not helpful to you, but at least you do know that great affordable properties are out there. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
Charleston is an amazing place. On my first visit here, I think it took me 10 minutes to say to my husband.. "we are moving here". I just knew. Can't really explain it, but it was love at first sight. We have been here over 2 years now and while it isn't quite heaven on earth, it is very close. I would say the only thing that concerned me after living here was a few random acts of violence that really affected me. Coming from a small New England town, I had never lived in a big city so it was foreign to me to hear about such crime. In reality, I feel safe in Charleston. Like anywhere else in the world, you just use common sense and you will be fine. The low country has the most amazing scenery, people and food!! I don't regret our move at all. I feel blessed to live in such a wonderful place.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie_wife View Post
Actually we won't be moving until summer 2013 but I've already started my research. My husband's in the U.S. Coast Guard so that's why we're relocating. I've been told to stay from Charleston and look into areas like Summerville and Mount Pleasant. We're actually in NC right now. Price range can be anywhere from 1000-1800 for at least a 2 bedroom.

As far as crimes, I understand that it can pretty much happen everywhere and anywhere but what areas should I stay away from that is known to have high crime rates?
Where in NC? We spent 9 months in Wilmington before Charleston.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,716 times
We also moved here to the Charleston area from NC (lived in NC for 4-1/2 years)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area