Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM

98 posts, read 226,786 times

Advertisements

We are excited to say that our house back here in WV is in contract.

We will be needing to move and store our furniture for a couple of months until we find a home in the Charleston/Hanahan/Summerville/Goose Creek area.

My question is for people who have used moving systems such as Pods or U-Pack. We would need to load our furniture and store it. We have people to load and unload so that's not an issue.

Has anyone used one of the 'You-Pack-We-Drive-And-Store' movers?

I'd love to hear feedback and recommendations.

Thanks!

~~Barb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
We got a quote on it. The prices are laughably insane.

Edit to add: Well now that I think about it... We were only getting a quote for a room or 2 worth of stuff. They said they were really geared towards whole house moves. So maybe it's reasonable that way.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM

229 posts, read 371,615 times
Robynn, "laughably insane" is exactly how I would have worded it. We got a quote before we moved down here and the starting price was around $2000. We ended up getting a moving truck and ended up paying a mere fraction of that. As far as storing items, I can't really help you with that one since you can't just store items with a moving truck... we originally wanted to do just that, but when examining the costs we realized that for us, it just made a lot more sense to do the work ourselves and not put anything into storage.

Congrats, though. Which area from WV will be you coming?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM

We're moving from Charleston, WV - the 'other' Charleston.

We'd do the rental truck but we won't have a place to move to until after we clear out of here. We're doing this in the middle of my daughter's wedding in November. What timing!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM

229 posts, read 371,615 times
I was wondering which part of WV you're from cause I grew up close to there. I'm from Ashland, KY

The one that I got the quote from was Pods. I'm not trying to discourage you from using them... it's just that our quote was way out of our range at the time of our moving. I never got a quote from another similar company because I wasn't aware of them. You should definitely call and get quotes and see if they have any discounts of specials going. I got a discount with our moving truck just because I have a Sam's Club membership. (Hah!) I have heard really good things about Pods though. I had a coworker whose father absolutely swore by them. He's used them countless times for his business.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
I would suggest that you obtain a quote from a professional moving company for packing, storing, and then delivering. Now you have what might be called a top dollar quote, then you can work your way down from there. Prior to our last move the cost difference in a professional company doing it and going the PODS way which meant me hiring people on both ends was not that great a difference.

Remember packing for a cross country move is quite different then moving across town and that will be one of the gotchas with any system like PODS. The proper packing so things do not get damaged in transit is the catch.

My belief with PODS is that they are very useful if they are used as storage on ones property (like during a remodel) but once it includes them storing and delivering them in another state, they are not as cost effective as one thinks.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Thanks! I have also put feelers out for 'total moving companies' as well.

Good advice if they can store my stuff for a month or two.

Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Congrats on the contract!!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM

606 posts, read 730,539 times
My wife was born and raised around Huntington, WV. We have moved a few places over the years and miss certain things about WV. The weather is NOT one of them, we are both allergic to cold!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times
When we moved here.. we priced out a moving company.
Then priced out PODS... who gave us a ridiculous number !
Then priced out U-Pack with ABF and went with them.

They drove over the truck and we loaded it... a 4 bedroom home with a full basement and many tools ... YIKES !

Arrived in Chas no problems and on time.
We unloaded and would highly recommend them to everyone.
Though packing and loading is not for everyone.

We had the time, manpower, endless packing supplies and Yes the satisfaction doing ourselves and savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area