Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

870 posts, read 1,986,891 times

Advertisements

I have USAA for my auto and homeowners insurance policies. My auto actually goes down every year but since I moved into my house 3 years ago, my homeowners has increased by nearly 50%.

My mortgage guy got me a decent quote from his companies insurance arm but the policy is with a company I've not heard of before so I'm a little weary of just jumping ship for a cheaper premium-especially if it means I'm not covered if something happens (hurricane, earthquake, etc).

So, can anyone recommend a good insurance provider? I would be willing to move both my auto and home policies if I can get similar or better coverage for a better price.

I have quoted with some of the big national carriers but several don't do online quotes for this area and one doesn't do quotes at their 800-number. They say the HAVE to refer me to a local rep.

Seems like it should be easier to get insured...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,120 times
C.T. Lowndes (they write through Universal)
Taylor Agency (they write through ASI)
Farm Bureau
State Farm

All would serve you well, I'm seeing great rates come through on all of them.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM

The quote that my mortgage guy got me was with universal. I've never heard of them. Are they any good?

My mortgage guy is with Shelter so the quote was through Carolina One Insurance and they quoted a policy from Universal.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Universal has been writing great rates, and as far as I can tell they are pretty decent. Insurance companies are what they are, I don't know enough about each company's internal filings to know which are solvent and which aren't, but even nationwide marquis companies could go broke covering a natural disaster on the coast, i.e. hurricane Hugo/Katrina. I'd stick with the lower premiums, to keep the property covered, and maybe keep your others covered with a larger company that you trust.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Things have been busy lately and I kind of put this on the back burner because the adjustment in my mortgage payment is still several months away.

HOWEVER, I contacted one of the suggested agencies today and was given a quote for homeowners and earthquake for $500 less than what I am paying now...

The quote is with Capitol Preferred Insurance. They are a relatively young company (incorporated in 1998) but the agency I spoke with has been around for 160 years and assures me that they vet all of their providers before they begin writing policies with them.

Google reveals some info and the woman at the agency said that they had been writing with them for around 5 years with no trouble to speak of so it's promising.

So can anyone tell me anything about Capitol Preferred?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,620 times
Default CT Lowndes is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
C.T. Lowndes (they write through Universal)
Taylor Agency (they write through ASI)
Farm Bureau
State Farm

All would serve you well, I'm seeing great rates come through on all of them.

I work with CT Lowndes and am very satisfied. I have one agent who helped my with home, auto, flood and earthquake. Great rates and good service.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 AM

I should have put Capital Preferred on my list as well. Very good company, and they'll likely write for Universal, if I recall.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 PM

I ended up going with it. I'm saving a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area