Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 55,968 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Charleston, SC over 2 months ago. My husband was offered a General Manager position here and we accepted and moved thinking that because I have a BS in chemistry, a Master in Business and 12 yrs of experience in many areas, I had a good chance to find a job here. We have no family or friends in the area. I have put more than 100 applications and I haven't gotten a single call, not even for an interview. I am getting depressed and ready to move out of Charleston. I do not get the feel that employers here actually use internet applications to hire and they engage more in the "who do you know, who referred you" mentality. Can someone tell me if my impression about the "who do you know, who referred you" here in Charleston might be accurate??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
The economy is very bad right now. You know this right? You moved at a very crazy time with the economy. Many people are unemployed, and many people here in Charleston have lost their jobs. Unemployment is at an all time high. Have you been watching what has been happening across the country with housing , the stock market, and housing? Many people will lie to you (especially realtors) and tell you everything is great and improving. Right now, depending on the Congress at the end of the year, the U.S. can have a very slow improvement or another recession worse than in 2008!
I hope you know you are not alone. You can just hang in there, I wouldn't move so quick. Many people have been out of work for 6 months or a year here. Hang in there, you are not alone. You can go down to the Employment Commission on Lockwood Blvd. and that may help you look for a job in your field.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
I live here with over 20 years of experience and it took me 4 months to find a job and I still had to take a $10.00/hr pay cut.....

Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
The economy is very bad right now. You know this right? You moved at a very crazy time with the economy. Many people are unemployed, and many people here in Charleston have lost their jobs. Unemployment is at an all time high. Have you been watching what has been happening across the country with housing , the stock market, and housing?
Coastalbum, Thanks for the encouragement!
I definitely know what is going on with the economy and the job market. However, I see many many job postings every day for the Charleston area. My concern is mostly about the processes that employers (here in Charleston) use to hire employees (that really comes down to the mentality of the employees who are in charge of hiring) and not about the economy.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I live here with over 20 years of experience and it took me 4 months to find a job and I still had to take a $10.00/hr pay cut.....
Sorry to hear that. I imagine that was a really tough deal. It would be for me!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERIWILL View Post
My concern is mostly about the processes that employers (here in Charleston) use to hire employees (that really comes down to the mentality of the employees who are in charge of hiring) and not about the economy.
I wouldn't assume that the difficulty has anything to do with networking or the lack thereof. Sure there are plenty of jobs in the listings, but there are so many more applicants for each posting right now that the competition is fierce. People are accepting jobs well below their skill level, so you may be competing with people that are much more desirable candidates who would normally not even be considering the position.
I've been job hunting for quite a while also, but I am specialized to the point of being useless in the face of my competition. All you can do is keep plugging away, and try not to become discouraged.

Also keep in mind that some companies keep postings up for jobs they aren't actually looking to fill, just so they have a ready supply of candidates if the need arises.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I wouldn't assume that the difficulty has anything to do with networking or the lack thereof.
I honestly hope you are right!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
Actually I'd say the economy here is on a DEFINITE 'UP-SWING'.

My wife recently changed employers and not only got an increase in pay when she switched employers, she has had a bonus AND two raises in the last 8 months.

And FYI, she was hired via her Monster.com resume. And she had SEVERAL interviews through that site.

The small company I work for (now back up to 20 people) not only upgraded all the hardware and software in the offices as well as buying some new hardware/equipment for out in the field, they handed out fiscal year end bonuses less than a month ago and we all got raises back in February.

Believe it or not, our great year and all that spending wouldn't be possible unless the economy was doing a LOT better ... in my line of work, we do as well as the economy around us does.

I did notice, however, that you said you filled out 'online applications' .. not the same as posting an online resume and/or replying to ads online.

Have you taken those steps or are you just filling out job applications? There's a big difference.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Actually I'd say the economy here is on a DEFINITE 'UP-SWING'.

My wife recently changed employers and not only got an increase in pay when she switched employers, she has had a bonus AND two raises in the last 8 months.

And FYI, she was hired via her Monster.com resume. And she had SEVERAL interviews through that site.

The small company I work for (now back up to 20 people) not only upgraded all the hardware and software in the offices as well as buying some new hardware/equipment for out in the field, they handed out fiscal year end bonuses less than a month ago and we all got raises back in February.

Believe it or not, our great year and all that spending wouldn't be possible unless the economy was doing a LOT better ... in my line of work, we do as well as the economy around us does.

I did notice, however, that you said you filled out 'online applications' .. not the same as posting an online resume and/or replying to ads online.

Have you taken those steps or are you just filling out job applications? There's a big difference.
I have done it ALL...resume posting, applications, etc. I know the job market here is doing better than other places because I check ALL the job boards, every day! This is why I posted the question in the first place...I read various comments in Yahoo answers about the job market here in Charleston and this is what this one person has to say about it:

"I'm from Charleston. I'm not sure where you are moving from or what career you are looking to get into, but Charleston is a city where you have to know someone to get a good job in almost anything other than healthcare or education. It sounds like you don't have any connections here, so you will probably find the job market very difficult. My family has been here since the founding of Charleston and I still find the job market very competitive. I've always had good connections and references on my resume and that has always helped."

Another person says: " Positions are pretty readily available in education and health care but other positions tend to require connections. Employers tend to have a strong preference for local candidates even if others are more qualified. Also salaries tend to be relatively low especially considering the cost of living in Charleston."

Does anyone agrees with them?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:20 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KERIWILL View Post
I have done it ALL...resume posting, applications, etc. I know the job market here is doing better than other places because I check ALL the job boards, every day! This is why I posted the question in the first place...I read various comments in Yahoo answers about the job market here in Charleston and this is what this one person has to say about it:

"I'm from Charleston. I'm not sure where you are moving from or what career you are looking to get into, but Charleston is a city where you have to know someone to get a good job in almost anything other than healthcare or education. It sounds like you don't have any connections here, so you will probably find the job market very difficult. My family has been here since the founding of Charleston and I still find the job market very competitive. I've always had good connections and references on my resume and that has always helped."

Another person says: " Positions are pretty readily available in education and health care but other positions tend to require connections. Employers tend to have a strong preference for local candidates even if others are more qualified. Also salaries tend to be relatively low especially considering the cost of living in Charleston."

Does anyone agrees with them?
NOPE

I moved here from New Mexico with my family nearly 14 years ago. While my wife is from here, I landed both my initial temp job as well as my current job (was 13 years with this company in April) without her or anyone she knows helping me.

My wife, although as stated that she is a native, has gotten her jobs on her own and not because she knew someone at the place that hired her.

Can it be EASIER to get a job if you know someone? Of course. Is it a necessity to know someone on the inside in order to be hired around here? Not at all.

Sounds to me like whoever posted what you quoted was sore about not being able to get work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area