Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times

Advertisements

I live on James Island (in the city of Charleston) am getting sick of the crime there.
There was just a home invasion right next to Charleston County Park on James Island on Riverland Drive. 2 people were sexually assualted and several others beaten, and money was taken.

A Charleston Police Office was shot in the eye chasing a suspect off Riverland Drive around 8 months ago.

2 subjects were fleeing Charleston police on Camp Road six months ago and crashed and died, many drugs were found in the vehicle.

This is just becoming more common and I am getting sick of it. Interestingly, these crimes occur very close to some brand new communities ! (Like Terrabrook).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Wow, that's very unfortunate. I have plenty of friends that live over in James Island and it was always been Mt P and JI for us back in the day when we looked at property. Sounds like it's time for the residents to organize and insist on better police visibility. One thing I have appreciated about Mt P is that if there is ever a problem, the police are ALL over it. I give them props.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Some parts of James Island are getting very bad, they were bad when I worked there back in the late 90's too, they have just gotten worse....

That's what happens when you push the thugs off of the peninsula, they end up in the burbs...

Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 PM

139 posts, read 375,728 times
Lived there my entire childhood and never heard of such things. I'm sure some it still happened in certain areas (around the HS, near the movie theater, etc...), but nothing like what's going on now days. Sad for sure...

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I live on JI but in the city of Charleston too. Moved here over a year ago...

Even though I was familiar with Charleston before the move, I have been disappointed to find high crime levels in all the surrounding areas.
N Charleston has high nos. of many types of crime, West Ashley is in the newspaper every day with robberies and murders. Mt Pleasant has had robberies in convenience stores and even grocery stores. Even Folly Beach has had robberies, shootings....James Island is no exception.

I have learned to avoid traveling on iffy roads/neighborhoods to get to the beach, say using Camp or Ft Johnson Rds. No way would you find me on Savannah Hwy beyond the Terrace Theater after dark! No evening shopping for me now either. Oddly, it seems the least likely spot for crime is downtown, in the shopping/restaurant areas....

but not above Line St, where drug bandits rule...murders in the streets.

As for the Charleston Police, from the reports of crimes, it is a short time until perpetrators are arrested, in many cases. I think they have some awesome detectives and patrol units. For instance, the recent night-time murder of young Marley, (parked his car in W Ash parking lot because he was too drunk to drive), the scumbags were arrested in a short period of time-though diligent police work.

I try to never, at any time, place myself in an uncomfortable situation or location. Of course, crime happens no matter what...but no use in making it easy for them.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM

69 posts, read 178,233 times
No definitely not "the hood" and not even close.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,716 times
Crime is everywhere. JI is no different from anywhere else. I believe the bad economy is fueling some (not all) of this.
Also, people here may think that the crime is bad in the Charleston area. Well, it's NOTHING compared to where we lived in NC from 2006-2010...it was #95 on the list of the cities with the most crime in the nation. We left there to come here, so what's going on here seems like nothing to us.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Just read another CD thread, Worst States for Homicide, per capita.
SC was no. 6.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
Just another reason why there are 10-ft privacy fences around Terrabrook.

Which, by the way, is a huge pain when you are surveying.

I don't know what was worse when we did the subdivision work out there ... trying to find property corners behind that fence or trying to find property corners/line markers out in the marsh/river. LOL

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Yeah Charleston area is a terrible place to live -- you might want move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area