Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM

22 posts, read 72,514 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the Charleston are. We currently live in Seneca, SC in the upstate. We would love to be close to the beach, but our budget does not allow that, plus my husband is really concerned about flood insurance. We for sure want to be within 20 minutes to major shopping, doctors, hospitals, etc......all the big city amenities. I really like Mt Pleasant, but like I said, my husband is concerned with flood insurance. We were wondering about Goose Creek, Hanahan, or Summerville. Would those cities fall into that 20 minute from a major city aspect? Also, what is grocery and local shopping like in those cities? Our budget is around $275,000 and a 55 or older community would be ok. Any info on these cities would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Come to the beach!
I'd like to say that your budget will suffice but can't really say that without knowing what your housing requirements are. For $275k you can easily find housing in Mt P ... a condo/townhouse/single family ... but how do you wish to live? Your budget has to be aligned/balanced with your housing wants.

I live close to the Ravenel Bridge (to Charleston), not far from marsh, 4 miles to the intracoastal , 6 miles to toes in the ocean, and NO flood insurance necessary. Just because one lives in Mt P, doesn't mean flood insurance.

Again, to guide you in your wants, please let us know your housing wants (& needs) in moving down here.
Did I say, come to the beach?!

And, yes, Summerville, GC & Hanahan are all lovely communities where you can nest ... but not as close as Mt P to the beach.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM

229 posts, read 371,649 times
I LOVE Hanahan. It's very close to major shopping, doctors, etc. Just this morning I
I had a doctors appointment which took me 12 minutes to get to... very convenient. It takes me 5 mins or so to get to the grocery... everything that I need is all within 10-15 minutes.
There's a whole thread on Hanahan somewhere... just do some searching and you'll find it. I'd do it myself if I wasn't on my tablet. We sort of fell into it back in August and I'm so glad we did. I really love living in Hanahan. Any specific questions, just let me know!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
DH just reminded me that there's maps available to inform you where flood insurance is required (for a mortgage) down here. GOOGLE it or maybe someone else ... ?

DH says that we live on the RIGHT side of Hwy 17, so no flood insurance necessary. He didn't want me to mislead, 'cause flood insurance is a reality down here.

Premier 55+ community near Charleston would be Del Ray in Cane Bay -- but that's a long haul (35 miles to the beach) -- unless you're retired and have all day!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
DH just reminded me that there's maps available to inform you where flood insurance is required (for a mortgage) down here. GOOGLE it or maybe someone else ... ?

DH says that we live on the RIGHT side of Hwy 17, so no flood insurance necessary. He didn't want me to mislead, 'cause flood insurance is a reality down here.

Premier 55+ community near Charleston would be Del Ray in Cane Bay -- but that's a long haul (35 miles to the beach) -- unless you're retired and have all day!
Yeah, we aren't required to have flood insurance either because we're on the other side of 17. We're up towards 41 though in Brickyard.

I can only think of a couple of over 55 communities in Mt P. There's one over there at Franke at Seaside Farms and one in Park West. The largest I know about though is Del Ray like you already noted.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
The Pines at Gahagan in Summerville and Charleston Park Villas and The Elms in North Charleston are active adult communities.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
And yes, not all homes in Mount Pleasant require flood insurance. Check the flood maps, or have your realtor help you get that information.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 72,514 times
Thanks for the info. Our goals are just to be as close to a big city as possible with all the amenities of shopping and choice of medical needs. We would like a 3 bed 2 bath home, whether it be a single family or a stand alone townhome. No condos. It doesn't matter if it's 55 or older, but the fellowship and activities would be nice. All info on other nearby cities is welcome. Heard something about West Ashley or Daniels Island. I'll have to check the map.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM

120 posts, read 236,900 times
[quote=southbel;26958851

I can only think of a couple of over 55 communities in Mt P. There's one over there at Franke at Seaside Farms and one in Park West. The largest I know about though is Del Ray like you already noted.[/QUOTE]

It's actually Del Webb. We've lived there two years and love it. But it's a long way from the beach if that's important -- about 30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area