Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 AM

192 posts, read 409,383 times

Advertisements

Hello out there,

My husband and I will be visiting the Charleston area after the holidays to scope out neighborhoods to relocate to...I've done a lot (maybe too much) research on the web and I am on the fence about lots of areas. I know once we visit these areas it will clarify my thoughts, but I've seen how helpful this board can be, so...

Situation: family of four currently living just outside Baltimore. Kids are 10 and 11. Two gigantic German shepherds. DH works from home and I am a SAHM. Pretty private people...we like to go out and socialize but don't need a daily dose of it.

Hopes: a neighborhood with kids that are hopefully around my kid's ages, at least about one acre of land and proximity to woods, open spaces, etc. for hiking/dogs. Proximity to city is important for daughter - she is a dancer and would need to be near a really good ballet school. Currently I drive her 15 minutes each way to ballet school five days a week. Need to be near good public or private schools. Don't need to be on the water (a bit leery of flooding) Can afford to get something nicer...I'd love to stay around $600,000.

Thoughts:

Initially I fell in love with Summerville. Loved some of the historic houses there, then thought maybe they were too near the unsafe areas of Summerville. Then the more research I did I learned maybe too much. I'm seeing more crime then I would like (a van getting shot at, a man shooting another in a trailer park?), a high number of registered sex-offenders and houses that are awesome and $600,000 next to ones that are not so awesome and $100,000. This is one place I truly need to see with my own eyes. so I looked at Mount Pleasant...

and was overwhelmed! Big place. Not too many places where anyone has any land. The shopping/activities look great. Drawn to historic area again...then areas up near the North of Mount Pleasant, which are then too remote. Looks ideal for kids and active young families...maybe too much going on?

So I looked at Daniel Island. Looks very "planned"...makes me think I might be a faker if I lived in one of those communities. Still, Beresford Hall looks charming and the houses all have some acreage. Then I read one this board somewhere about big nasty trucks going up and down the road and too many commercial stuff out that way...

Now I know I will not find the "perfect" place. It's all give and take. Wanted your opinions on some of the nicer neighborhoods out there so that when I do visit I have a good game plan.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Ting

Check out Park West in Mount Pleasant. It runs the whole gamut in type and cost homes. Primary, middle, and high school almost walkable from some parts.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,197 times
Monck's Corner

Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM

example 1 acre lot:
1703 Waterside Boulevard, Moncks Corner SC - Trulia

Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM

What's the drive time to downtown from Monck's corner?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
What's the drive time to downtown from Monck's corner?
45min~1hour...

Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Might be too far away for us...any thought on a neighborhood that is 30 minutes or less from downtown?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Might be too far away for us...any thought on a neighborhood that is 30 minutes or less from downtown?
I mentioned MC because several of my husband's coworkers have acreage with nice houses up there and love it. Sounded like what you would like and you could probably find dance classes in Summerville.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
OleTomCat, how far is John's Island? That's the only other place that comes to mind with 1+ acre... Well also maybe Awendaw?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Depends on what part of JI, some are real close others will take you as long as Summerville...

30 minutes leaves you little choice in where to live and have 1+ Acres close to woods, that would be Clements Ferry Rd area and out toward Huger...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area