Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times

Advertisements

Yoke, I am also from NJ, been here over 20 years now. Believe me if you visit you will want to move the next day....

What is your price range, that will help with what areas to look at, what proximaty to the beaches and down town do you want to be, is a smaller town in the burbs suitable?

Touristy places I would say stay down town at one of the many fine hotels, walk the battery and some of the historic neighborhoods and snap as many pictures as you can, take a look at the picture thread at the top of this pafe for some ideas of what is out there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
Why not rent for a year or so to get to know the areas?

Touristy things to do: go on a carriage ride, walk around Charleston, go to the battery, go to waterfront park in Charleston, go to one of the plantations, walk on one of the beaches, go on the Yorktown, take a boat tour, or go on a walking tour.

Cool places that aren't real touristy: Pitt Street Bridge in Mount Pleasant (beautiful view of the Charleston skyline from here), go to Shem Creek and walk along the boardwalk to look for dolphins, go to Remley Point in Mount Pleasant (beautiful view of the Ravenel Bridge from here), go to Mount Pleasant Waterfront Park and walk around there and walk to the end of the pier to look for dolphins or watch the cargo ships go by. You can also walk on the Ravenel Bridge. There is a little walkway to the base of the bridge at the Mount Pleasant Waterfront Park.

OTC is correct. Once you come here for a day you will love it and want to move here!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM

8 posts, read 7,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Yoke, I am also from NJ, been here over 20 years now. Believe me if you visit you will want to move the next day....

What is your price range, that will help with what areas to look at, what proximaty to the beaches and down town do you want to be, is a smaller town in the burbs suitable?

Touristy places I would say stay down town at one of the many fine hotels, walk the battery and some of the historic neighborhoods and snap as many pictures as you can, take a look at the picture thread at the top of this pafe for some ideas of what is out there.....

Where from Jersey? I have been wanting to get out for years, and now is looking like a good time. I can telecommute for work so no worry for me for now and the wife has a few options on the table. I think for now we would keep our budget to a max of 350k for now. Not sure to be honest, depends what I can sell for also. I will have a look at the photos but I think getting down there is the important first step.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Why not rent for a year or so to get to know the areas?

Touristy things to do: go on a carriage ride, walk around Charleston, go to the battery, go to waterfront park in Charleston, go to one of the plantations, walk on one of the beaches, go on the Yorktown, take a boat tour, or go on a walking tour.

Cool places that aren't real touristy: Pitt Street Bridge in Mount Pleasant (beautiful view of the Charleston skyline from here), go to Shem Creek and walk along the boardwalk to look for dolphins, go to Remley Point in Mount Pleasant (beautiful view of the Ravenel Bridge from here), go to Mount Pleasant Waterfront Park and walk around there and walk to the end of the pier to look for dolphins or watch the cargo ships go by. You can also walk on the Ravenel Bridge. There is a little walkway to the base of the bridge at the Mount Pleasant Waterfront Park.

OTC is correct. Once you come here for a day you will love it and want to move here!

Actually, we have been talking about that. At least for the first year to get to know the area and then decide from there. Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 AM

Mays Landing and Egg Harbor City.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 AM

240 posts, read 443,217 times
We are from the Jersey shore as well. Visited Charleston 3 years ago and really liked it. I'm not a local and certainly not an expert but if anyone is looking for a "small town feeling" I'd recommend Summerville! Loved that town when we last visited. Thought it reminded me of the look and feel of a Norman Rockwell painting!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,119 times
Check out Summerville. Good schools and a sweet "downtown".

Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
We are from the Jersey shore as well. Visited Charleston 3 years ago and really liked it. I'm not a local and certainly not an expert but if anyone is looking for a "small town feeling" I'd recommend Summerville! Loved that town when we last visited. Thought it reminded me of the look and feel of a Norman Rockwell painting!
It has grown and changed a little in Three years but still pretty much the same place....

Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Mays Landing and Egg Harbor City.

Ahhh, Belmar area myself..

All places that just took a beating from the storm. I have noticed a lot of NJ people on these boards, guess everyone is looking for an escape.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Like I said I escaped years ago, now I don't even go back to visit in the winter unless someone kicks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area