Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,935,298 times

Advertisements

Why do the talking heads on the local news keep saying Tim Scott left Congress so that he could accept the Senate seat left open by Jim DeMint?

Bill Sharp just said this twice on the noon newscast. This isn't the first time I've heard it on the local news...and likely the previous time was on channel 5 as well since that's what I normally choose to watch.

Can they not get it through their heads that Scott left the House of Representatives in order to accept the Senate seat and that these two houses are what makes up Congress? Who writes the stuff they read, and why aren't those people educated enough to get something this simple correct? I mean seriously...at what age are children taught this most basic of civic facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM

506 posts, read 1,021,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Why do the talking heads on the local news keep saying Tim Scott left Congress so that he could accept the Senate seat left open by Jim DeMint?

Bill Sharp just said this twice on the noon newscast. This isn't the first time I've heard it on the local news...and likely the previous time was on channel 5 as well since that's what I normally choose to watch.

Can they not get it through their heads that Scott left the House of Representatives in order to accept the Senate seat and that these two houses are what makes up Congress? Who writes the stuff they read, and why aren't those people educated enough to get something this simple correct? I mean seriously...at what age are children taught this most basic of civic facts?
You're right, I am sure that there are many people that do not know that the Congress consists of the Senate and the House of Representatives, but you would think that those that do the writing for news organizations would. The thing that probably leads to the confusion is that members of the House of Representatives are routinely referred to as congressmen or congresswomen, which I guess they are technically, but so are senators but they are usually referred to as senators.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM

I sent them a message on their facebook page. They said they'd send the info to their producer.

Bill Sharp just read it correct on the 6pm news. LOL

Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,981,499 times
I could be wrong here but I think there is a loophole.

I believe he has to resign from one seat to accept another so technically, he resigned from Congress and then accepted the appointment back into Congress.

If something happened to Obama and Biden and Boehner had to take over as president, he would have to resign as Speaker before being sworn in as president...I think.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,277,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I could be wrong here but I think there is a loophole.

I believe he has to resign from one seat to accept another so technically, he resigned from Congress and then accepted the appointment back into Congress.

If something happened to Obama and Biden and Boehner had to take over as president, he would have to resign as Speaker before being sworn in as president...I think.
No they would not have to resign, it is layed out in the constitution how the suscession works. The reason Tim had to resign is that he can not be in both houses at once, I personally feel he should have stayed in the House of Representatives and they should have appointed a conservative senator to replace him...

Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM

870 posts, read 1,981,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No they would not have to resign, it is layed out in the constitution how the suscession works. The reason Tim had to resign is that he can not be in both houses at once, I personally feel he should have stayed in the House of Representatives and they should have appointed a conservative senator to replace him...
I wasn't 100% sure on that to be honest. I agree though. I've met Senator Scott, I thought he made a good congressman.

Now if only we could get rid of Clyburn. Not entirely for political reasons. Mostly because he didn't put up more of a fight when Nancy Pelosi didn't want to give up her leadership position after losing the House to the Republicns. By all rights, he should be minority whip and Hoyer should be minority leader. Instead, they made up a fake position with no real power and stuck him in it. It's embarrassing.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM

That is absolutely correct. Tim Scott resigned on the 2nd and was sworn in on the 3rd.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,394,996 times
Well, I don't like Tim Scott and wish he was not representing me! He is against Unions, and supports those crazy Tea Party People!!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,277,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Well, I don't like Tim Scott and wish he was not representing me! He is against Unions, and supports those crazy Tea Party People!!
Guess that is why he didn't get 100% of the vote.....

The Crazy Liberal Union voters had to vote for someone else....

Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Guess that is why he didn't get 100% of the vote.....

The Crazy Liberal Union voters had to vote for someone else....
x 2,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area