Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 AM

7 posts, read 20,966 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide information on Mt. Pleasant neighborhoods besides Park West & Dunes West? Though they both seem great, I was looking for something a little closer to the bridge in order to cut down on the commute - I've heard it's about 45 minutes from Park West to Charleston during rush hour, true?

We're planning on relocating and will be checking out houses over Thanksgiving week but I'd love to get everyone's thoughts and insights on the area (and what to avoid).

By the way, we have two young children so I would love to get thoughts on the schools as well.

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
There are a number of great neighborhoods inside 526 and the IOP connector that would be closer to downtown than Park West and Dunes West. There are even new communities currently under construction in the area. Most neighborhoods might not be as large as Park and Dunes West, given their proximity to the bridge and old town Mount Pleasant and not being built on golf courses, but certainly worth looking into. What size home and price range were you thinking?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 20,966 times
We're probably looking in the 400-600K range. We'd like a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house with a 2 car garage. We're on a half acre right now so I wouldn't really want to go any smaller than .25 of an acre. I don't want to be able to reach outside my window and touch my neighbors' house.

We've been keeping an eye on daniel island too but it seems most lots are less than .25 of an acre.

A golf course isn't a necessity since neither my husband nor I golf but we would like a place with some amenities - playground, pool, paths.

A must have though is sidewalks. We currently live on a street without sidewalks and it's horrible with two kids. Sidewalks will definitely be a dealbreaker - paths are great but only if you don't have to walk in the street to access them.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Well, with half an acre and swimming pools as amenities, there's not a great deal that's closer to downtown. However, there are certainly a handful of wonderful homes in the area of 526 and Longpoint Rd., slightly closer to downtown but only marginally.

Hamlin Plantation and Rivertowne Country Club(Rivertowne being farther out) both have homes in your price range with swimming pool amenities, as well as sidewalks for the kids (avg. lot size is greater than .35 in Hamlin, but Rivertowne has at least one with a .75 acre lot) Hobcaw Creek Plantation is noticeably closer to downtown, and has at least one home available that matches the above, but I'm not certain if I noticed sidewalks the last time I was out there. I'd have to recheck. There's also a home in Rice Planters Point on a .37 acre lot with it's own pool, but again, I'd have to double check for sidewalks.

Daniel Island is certainly a good place to look as well, it's a VERY walkable series of neighborhoods. The only concern though with the few Daniel Island homes available in your price range with neighborhood pools, sidewalks, etc., is that the lot size is mostly deep, not wide, so while you'd have a semi-private back yard with the possibility of no neighbors behind you, those beside you might be too close for comfort.

However, if you're willing to look at neighborhoods with slightly less than a half acre for your lot, then more options would be available. Seaside Farms is certainly worth a look, as well.

Last edited by DJShymansky; 10-18-2007 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 03:38 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,188 times
If you want to be a little closer in and in a neighborhood with sidewalks two of your choices are Hamlin Plantation and Seaside Farm (one side of road only). You will find lots in the .25 acre - .33 acre in both neighborhoods. Hobcaw Creek to my knowledge does not have sidewalks nor does Rice Planters Pointe. A great resource to see neighborhoods as well as see if they have sidewalks is found at http://maps.live.com/

You can put in an address and get almost a rooftop view of the home and neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area