Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I have no clue where those billboard/shack things are... They're on Hwy 17 before or past st rte 41?
Past 41. Actually, they are north of the Park West entrance on 17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Are they an attempt to maybe get around no billboards allowed?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM

132 posts, read 239,914 times
I really, REALLY didn't get pretentiousness from them. Tackiness, yes. Not pleasing to the eye, definitely. But where in the world do you get pretentious from an unsightly aluminum hut?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
New Signage Appears on Hwy. 17 - Mount Pleasant, SC Patch

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Pretentious is far from the many other adjectives that can be used to describe those buildings/signs (like them or not is not the issues.) and either shows lack of language skills or an attempt at stereotyping as in envy.

Pretentious is a word used by many to describe Mount Pleasant. Like saying I cannot afford to do such and while I wish I could do such, until I can do such (probably never), those that do such so are pretentious. That is envy.

Does the word begrudge ring a bell?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM

596 posts, read 937,481 times
mount pleasant seems pretty yuppified in general so i don't think a few eyesores in the area is the end of the world.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times
Being different and/or unique is far from being pretentious. The buildings down by the PW entrance are at the southern end of the CP property. They also have buildings further north. There are 4 or 5 entrances to Carolina Park.

Most people don't realize that Carolina Park is the same acreage as Park West. They are 1,700 acres each.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
On a side note, my husband and I toured the Ryland model homes being shown at Carolina Park yesterday, and we were shocked at the poor quality of finish work in those houses. Is it typical for model homes to be better or worse than the rest of the houses going up in the development?
On the one hand I could see them slapping one up real quick to have something to show to prospective buyers, but on the other hand I would expect the builder to want to show their best face to the customer. Either way, considering what we saw we would have to do some serious considering before we ever bought a house build by Ryland after what we saw. They were great floorplans, IMO, but I would be worried that with all the flaws that were visible what could possibly be hiding under the sheetrock?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
On a side note, my husband and I toured the Ryland model homes being shown at Carolina Park yesterday, and we were shocked at the poor quality of finish work in those houses. Is it typical for model homes to be better or worse than the rest of the houses going up in the development?
On the one hand I could see them slapping one up real quick to have something to show to prospective buyers, but on the other hand I would expect the builder to want to show their best face to the customer. Either way, considering what we saw we would have to do some serious considering before we ever bought a house build by Ryland after what we saw. They were great floorplans, IMO, but I would be worried that with all the flaws that were visible what could possibly be hiding under the sheetrock?

Just a thought too... Don't always fault the builders. its the local contractors that do the work. A Ryland home in one location can be built by different crews in another location.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Just a thought too... Don't always fault the builders. its the local contractors that do the work. A Ryland home in one location can be built by different crews in another location.
True, but even so I would think that Ryland as a company would inspect the product before putting it out in front of consumers. I know that may not be the reality, but if it were my name on those houses I would want them done right even if I am subcontracting. I guess that may be too much to expect from a company based on the other side of the country though.
I guess what I should have said was that after seeing what I saw I would be hesitant to buy one of THOSE Ryland homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area