Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Yes -- market is improving. Hoping it is a steady growth and we take a break from this boom bust thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM

132 posts, read 144,206 times
Does anyone have any experience with Pulte homes in Mt. Pleasant? Do you know which subcontractor they use? I know that they are a huge national builder, but the reviews have been very mixed on them. Do their higher-end homes have as many issues as some of the other lower-end homes that they have built?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 PM

119 posts, read 301,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I was going to say that Between Carolina Park and Oyster Point alone there will be over 2,300 homes built. That doesn't take into consideration other/smaller developments like Tupelo and others. Wando is gonna be growing in years to come unless they go ahead and start a new HS.
I had read that somewhere, and this is something that I, as the parent of a kid about to start kindergarten, am definitely a bit concerned about. The current re-zoning plan seems very short sighted in that it's only going to alleviate some short term overcrowding issues. I have not heard of, nor read about anywhere in the papers or online, any sort of forward thinking plan about long term growth and what all this new construction will mean for the Mt. P schools. It's not just Wando, but could also affect Laurel Hill/Pinckney/Cario in the relatively short term as homes are built and families move in with kids of various ages. Has anyone heard anything in the way of plans to manage the growth of the student body?

When Carolina Park was first proposed and first started building all those years ago, was there any projections for what it would mean for schools, and did they have any plans for additional campuses to accommodate the growth?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Other than the new elementary school about to be built over by Wando, I have not heard anything about other schools (namely another high school).

Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Other than the new elementary school about to be built over by Wando, I have not heard anything about other schools (namely another high school).
?????
They're building a new elementary school over in Carolina Park over by Wando? I had definitely not heard that, and it's not on any of the proposed re-zoning plans either. Do you have a link to any info about this?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
No link, but from what I've been "told" it's a done deal.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Part of the Carolina Park does include land for an elementary school but there is no immediate plan to build on it. Often a developer will dedicate land for park or school at the time the plan is approved by the municipality -- does not mean it will be immediately used for that purpose.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 AM

14 posts, read 16,922 times
I know exactly what you mean! We just moved from Charleston National, so I had to see those ugly buildings on a daily basis. I agree, Mount Pleasant near Downtown is much better. Thinking of moving back over that way eventually. Love Old Village!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Part of the Carolina Park does include land for an elementary school but there is no immediate plan to build on it. Often a developer will dedicate land for park or school at the time the plan is approved by the municipality -- does not mean it will be immediately used for that purpose.
Well that's reassuring at least. Thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll use that land to build a new school BEFORE things get out of hand.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:55 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I know that Carolina Park had set aside land for public buildings. But talking to someone at the developers office I was under the impression it was going to get a branch library and probably a fire station. They also pegged the final housing count to be arount 1600 and said all lots would be sold through builders. So the neighborhhod will definitely build out quickly as opposed to others where poeple bought lots & sat on them waiting to move/downsize/build a nicer home.

I would not be too concerned about the high school in Mt Pleasant. The old Wando campus is still intact so I imagine as soon as they quit using it for flex space to host other schools being rebuild/remodelled they'll probably give it an update and re-open as a second high school for Mt Pleasant.

As an aside- I actually like the sheds. If they painted images on the side I think it would give them a 1950s, rural or beachy vibe that would be a relief from the typical subdivision entrances. And you have to admit those gawd awful concrete barriers they threw up on 17 along Snee Farm and the condos off IOP are uglier than any shed could hope to be. I thopught all the New Jerseyites were moving to Mt P to get away from those monstrosities. Instead they put them in 30 feet tall without a hill, tree or shrub to shield them in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area