Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM

10 posts, read 13,970 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are finally looking to leave New York. We actually live in Brooklyn where most lesbians in their 20s and 30s reside. She is a north Georgia native and I'm a California-born Jersey-raised Filipina. Since New York's living expenses are becoming ridiculous - though not comparable to San Francisco where I'd rather go - and because I'm a surfer who'd like to be close to a beach and my gf would like to be close to family, we think Charleston is the go-to choice.

My concerns are similar to most lesbian/gay posts here but I haven't seen anything recent. We're looking to rent a 2br in the $900-1100 range that is of course LGBT friendly. (Yes, we'll have a cat. Maybe a small dog, too.) I'd like to add that I work for a youth development nonprofit but have much experience in the food industry in wine sales, baking, and other production. My gf is an actress/singer and would love to find theatre work though she may pursue her dream of opening a bakery or teaching. So, any help on neighborhoods and employment opportunities with an accepting culture would be much appreciated.

I know this has been asked here before, but should I be concerned with expressing subtle PDA like brushing my partner's hair off her face or giving her a kiss (like a peck, not a make out session) hello after work or brushing her hand as I say "I love you" at dinner? We barely hold hands here in the city mainly because of cat calls but I'd still like to feel comfortable to express affection.

And for those pointing out someone using "lesbian" instead of just saying gay.... well, for starters, women don't cat call gay couples - as far as I know . Secondly, I'm a petite lady and no matter where I am, down south, up north, overseas, or right here at home, I always have to be careful of my safety. I've been jumped before; it had nothing to do with my sexuality and everything to do with my gender.

While NYC is a city of diversity and endearing grit, it isn't always city of kindness. My hope is that I find more courtesy (and smiles) in Charleston. Plus the weather's not icey hell like it is today! Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
I think you'd do just fine here. Charleston has always been very welcoming of same sex couples; do a little search on old Charleston family history, and you'll find many stories of 'unmarried Charleston gentlemen' or 'she remained single throughout her life' - translation yours!

There was a KD Lang concert here a few months ago, and I was happy to see all sorts of couples at the concert!

Of course there are areas where acceptance isn't as great - but I think you both could be happy here.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 AM

Thanks so much, Caili. I've been doing research bit by bit and I'm excited to dig deeper into Charleston history.

We'll be there at the end of March just to see the city together and make sure we won't hate it - haha which is very unlikely. Of course I have my qualms, but everyone does when change is afoot. And this would be a big - though healthy and necessary - change. I'm excited.

Thank you again!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM

324 posts, read 807,111 times
You should look into the Park Circle area of North Charleston. It is very LGBT friendly.. The village is in close proximity to downtown and has a number of good eateries and entertainment. In my opinion the whole Charleston metro area is LGBT friendly, but a large number of LGBT couples live in Park Circle. The annual pride parade is also hosted in Park Circle and Riverfront Park.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
There was a KD Lang concert here a few months ago...
Well there ya go then.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
I see same sex couples downtown often. Last week, walking down the street holding hands..no one blinked. It's a conservative southern community but not living in the dark ages by any means. I think you would feel welcome here.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
I see same sex couples downtown often. Last week, walking down the street holding hands..no one blinked. It's a conservative southern community but not living in the dark ages by any means. I think you would feel welcome here.
True, but tough to find a 2BR on $1100 in downtown Chuck. Unless you want to hazard upper King. For that price range you can get a studio or a really small 1BR in a decent area downtown. I work with a guy who lives in a 1BR in Harleston Village and pays ~$1000 a month. He doesn't have a washer and dryer and his kitchen is tiny, but he's single and loves the area enough to want to live there. It is a great location. Just not enough space for a family.

Last edited by lizardspock; 01-25-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
Sullivan's Island.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
True, but tough to find a 2BR on $1100 in downtown Chuck. Unless you want to hazard upper King. For that price range you can get a studio or a really small 1BR in a decent area downtown. I work with a guy who lives in a 1BR in Harleston Village and pays ~$1000 a month. He doesn't have a washer and dryer and his kitchen is tiny, but he's single and loves the area enough to want to live there. It is a great location. Just not enough space for a family.
Well, unsure if the gf wants to live downtown while I do but am fine if not. Perhaps in our second year there job-pending. What do you mean by "hazard upper King"?

We have to schlep a while to do our laundry here so if there's no W/D, that's okay. Also, when you say "tiny" do you mean by Charleston's standards or are we thinking Tokyo microapartments? I used to live in a room that only fit my bed.

And for now, we're just a 2-person family Late 20s/almost 30s. The extra bedroom would be for visitors.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
You might want to check out the West Ashley areas of South Windermere, Byrnes Down and Avondale. These areas are nice, safe and close to downtown and Folly Beach. Also suggest checking out James Island. Again, close to downtown and Folly Beach.

Not sure what the "hazard upper King" comment is about. This is an up and coming part of downtown but right now more for entertainment, but slowly transitioning into a great neighbornood area, at least for the 20's and 30's crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area