Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times

Advertisements

No matter where I drive around the Greater Charleston Area I see people driving extremely fast and a lot that drive erratically. Just today there was a Realtor in MtP who dodged through cars going in excess of 60mph in a 45mph construction zone (my estimate is 65, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...this guy was on 17N and turned on Hwy41 at around 12:30pm). But it doesn't matter where we are driving...these people are everywhere. When you get on 526 people drive very fast, and when you get on one of the big bridges it's like a racetrack...drivers get noticeably faster when on the bridges.

I was recently driving on a 2-lane that was posted at 40mph. I was driving 43-45 and some guy was behind me blowing the horn. When he finally turned I received the one finger salute. LoL

In the past 24 hours there have been at least three accidents on 526. One currently is listed as having injuries and the other two each resulted in death.

In the 4+ years of living in the Charleston area I have noticed a lack of traffic enforcement. I have also noticed the most blatant fast/aggressive driving of anywhere I've ever lived. The way some people drive reminds me of what I see when driving on the Interstates in the DC Metro area.

As it stands now the roadways are nearly unrestricted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
I've got to agree.

If you draw a line from Billings, Montana to Washington DC, I've driven in every state south of the line (including but not limited to Phoenix, Albuquerque, Denver, Dallas/FTW, OKC, Atlanta et al.)

This area has THE WORST drivers I've ever seen in my 25+ years of driving. Hands down.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
They are busy on long wide open roads like palmetto commerce parkway setting up speed traps.

and if you guys want to see bad driving, go to Miami... mixture of self centered people, with a mix of south/central america no rules on the road.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM

Hey, I'm not immune to having a lead foot...but that was in my younger days for the most part. I try not to speed in town, and limit myself on the interstates. I find that I'm one of the few people who use cruise control. Heck, as long as I'm not in heavy traffic, I even use my cruise when going 35mph! LoL

I've been to traffic court in North Carolina more than I care to (3-5 times). The court rooms are typically FULL. The last time I went there was standing room only (easily a couple hundred people). In contrast, I have been to the MtP traffic court once in the four years I've lived here...not for speeding, but for some minor issue that I got fixed and had the charges dropped. I was one of four people in the court room that morning! Only FOUR cases to be heard. I could not believe it.

To me...that says everything there needs to be said about traffic enforcement in the area.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
I don't drive too much on 526 other than the couple times a week to Mt. Pleasant from DI. This past week I went back and forth to the hospital to visit my daughter. I took the 526 North route into Charleston. I was absolutely blown away every single time I drove on that road. Cars were weaving in/out of traffic at at least 75 mph. Every single trip I made someone scared the bejesus out of me. Did I see one police officer? NO! But I saw 2 people stopped on DI for going probably 3 miles over the speed limit! Where the hell is the patrolling on 526?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
If everyone is driving fast and you're not.. you're the hazard. If you're in Atlanta and you're not movin... you're the problem. I try to move with the flow of traffic regardless of what the speed limit it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
I don't drive too much on 526 other than the couple times a week to Mt. Pleasant from DI. This past week I went back and forth to the hospital to visit my daughter. I took the 526 North route into Charleston. I was absolutely blown away every single time I drove on that road. Cars were weaving in/out of traffic at at least 75 mph. Every single trip I made someone scared the bejesus out of me. Did I see one police officer? NO! But I saw 2 people stopped on DI for going probably 3 miles over the speed limit! Where the hell is the patrolling on 526?
That is 526 West.

I have an easy way to remember which way is West and which way is East.

526 West are the lanes going toward WEST Ashley.

526 East are the lanes going toward East of the Cooper.

Your welcome!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
If everyone is driving fast and you're not.. you're the hazard. If you're in Atlanta and you're not movin... you're the problem. I try to move with the flow of traffic regardless of what the speed limit it.
It isn't the flow of traffic...it is the two out of 20 cars that are driving like Evil Kenevil that are the hazard. I do not travel the speed limit on the Interstate...let me be honest. I usually drive 5-10 mph over. Even when driving 75mph there are those that pass by going 90-100.

That is hazardous.

And don't get me started on drunk drivers...

Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Trust me Im not a slow driver..I'm a Boston City driver who has to be reminded of the speed limit all too often. These people are easily going 30+ mph over the speed limit but worse they are recklessly driving/weaving in/out of traffic. I see it EVERY time I get on I526

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
That is 526 West.

I have an easy way to remember which way is West and which way is East.

526 West are the lanes going toward WEST Ashley.

526 East are the lanes going toward East of the Cooper.

Your welcome!
I actually meant the NORTHERN route (vs swinging the 526/17s thru Mt Pleasant route) but thanks for the tip on west/east nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area