Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,865 times

Advertisements

Hello all:-) we have loved Charleston ever since we first brought our kids down there to visit aquarium about three yrs ago. We live in Charlotte nc. We just love coming there but were wanting to see some different things on our next vacation. We've been to folly beach and isle of palms, we've done ft sumpter, rode over the ravenal and did a carriage tour. I know there's a lot of other things to and see but I'm just not sure what else:-) I figured you all who live there would be the best to answer my question, thanks! Also, I'm 30, husband is 40 and our kids are under age 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
You could bring the kids to the center for the birds of prey in Awendaw. We went once and it was pretty interesting.

The Avian Conservation Center and The Center for Birds of Prey | Charleston, South Carolina

The Sewee visitor center looks like a good place. I haven't been yet, but it is on my list of places to go.

Sewee Visitor & Environmental Education Center

Although not in Charleston, the Tigers Preserve (not the preservation station) in Myrtle Beach is incredible! It is a little pricey, but worth every penny. You get to pet a bearcat, baby lions and tigers, and hold baby monkeys and orangutans.

http://www.tigerfriends.com/RSF.html

Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
,,,,,,,"I'm 30, husband is 40" Lucky Man!!!

Have you been to the gardens yet on Hwy 61?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times
Hey Cap'

I am 57 and my wife is 43

... and we have a 4 yr old !!!!

Sorry to distract from the post...
BTW... I think you set the record for the loooooooooooooooooongest title

Great question I must applaud.. I am very curious as to the replies as well.. to get off the beaten track .
(the tiger sanctuary is like $200 or something a person..... that will take a bite out of you.. let alone the tigers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
,,,,,,,"I'm 30, husband is 40" Lucky Man!!!

Have you been to the gardens yet on Hwy 61?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Angel Oak?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM

68 posts, read 174,575 times
Check out Charles Towne Landing. Just there today. Lots of kids were with families having a good time. Wildlife exhibits, replicas of ships, really a beautiful area to spend 2 or 3 hours. Take a water taxi around the harbor, we always do this when company comes. Pull up Charleston County Parks and look at activities offered. We drive over to Palmetto County Park often. Can rent paddleboats, bikes. Lush lagoon with boardwalks etc. Never get tired of this place. Folly Beach Pier and the town of Folly Beach has a real beach vibe to it. Lots of younger people there. Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon on East Bay St, my grandkids liked the pirate info and dungeon. I've heard good things about the Pirate Tours (guy with the parrot) Shem Creek area in Mt. Pleasant (shrimp boats, restaurants, boardwalk). Kids love Myrtle Beach area, arcades, boardwalk, beautiful beaches (Myrtle Beach State Park, Huntington State park here also), just very kid friendly with all the touristy things that they love.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM

596 posts, read 937,571 times
angel oak on john's island

Charles town landing in west Ashley, basically set up for kids.

visit the old plantations on Ashley river road.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM

207 posts, read 566,095 times
Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC

Maybe not for kids though.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Pitt street bridge (learned that from minikoop)

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM

246 posts, read 518,717 times
If you're going to the Angel Oak (I bring everyone there, and it's FREE) you may want to go a few miles more down the road to The Charleston Tea Plantation.

Pretty neat, the ONLY tea plantation in the United States. There is a gift shop, and tasting areas. Then you can tour the processing area, (15 MINUTES) where there is a filmed program of the history of tea in the area and an explanation of how the tea leaves are processed. There is a glassed wall where you can see the process. If you go during the time that they are cutting the tea, you can actually see it being processed.

There also is a tram ride through the plantation for $10, but really isn't necessary...looks like you're riding through a bunch of hedges and you can learn almost as much inside at the FREE factory tour!

Only takes 45 minutes or so, and I guarantee you'll learn something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area